Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #29
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Uh, will the splash guards increase drag on my Camaro and make me break an axle or burn a clutch?
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #30
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbar View Post
Not from what I heard happened to plenty LS3's at the c5fest....
well you do drive a chrysler product. and i have heard of an axle braking but not popping.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #31
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Having seen the actual data and knowing where the Camaro stands for quality, the OP is stirring an empty pot.

Camaro has outstanding quality.

And if you are referring to the Fest, I saw one Camaro that didn't get off the line. I overheard the driver after he parked the car cursing the aftermarket parts he had put on and how upset he was that he had to go back to the hotel to get the OEM parts that performed fine.

There was one other driver that had his car repaired at the Fest (by Lingenfelter I think he said). That's all I saw or heard off. And OP you need to keep in mind how many of those cars had Superchargers and Tunes going beyond what the Camaro was validated for and still making run after run after run without problems.

So if you are not a troll, please consider yourself kindly educated.

If you are a troll then you have been found out.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #32
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
:troll:
Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #33
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
It's a first year model and I'd say, even with these "lots of posts", the issues you describe hit no more then 1% of production.....and even that I think is a high estimate. That's a pretty damn good number. You're reading waaaaay to far into this.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #34
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yup I only heard of 2 cars at the fest breaking. One was a supercharged car that blew up the clutch. The other was axle and it was fixed at the fest. Considering how many cars did race and how many passes they made that was pretty good.

And I think I heard a Challenger broke also.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #35
LWM

Drives: #54 ZL 550 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS,GIF
While at Camaro Fest I spoke with a Camaro owner from NY who related how his Camaro died a quick death. He experienced an engine seizure with less than 1000 miles. In this case, he had paid cash. Further ..... He shared how GM shocked him with a new Camaro within a a number of weeks. Customer service at the highest level. That one topped all other stories I have ever heard........true!
Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #36
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
What is up with all the bitchy whiny people on the forums these days sheesh......
They are mustang peeps.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
But, here we are the first year model, the return of the coveted Camaro, and we have serious drivetrain problems when the car is driven aggressively. This is news to me. If you're referring to the transmission output shaft failure early on...it was a 'windowed' event, and is no longer a problem.

And from what I read on some threads it's even with regular driving. I'm talking about clutch issues and axels popping. WTH is up with that? I mean come on it's a brand new car!! Let me also remind you that it's a MASS PRODUCED car...even the odd Corvette will have a stock engine throw a bearing or something catastrophic under normal driving. As the phrase goes: "shit happens"....but these events are FAR...WAY FAR from typical.

I just hope that they solve these issues in 2011 and upcoming models like they would any other car. They have to upgrade the quality on the Camaro THEY HAVE TO! ..... I may even wait til next year to get mines just for peace of mind
Your perception seems to be a bit skewed, no doubt you were looking for problems about the car...and started reading, and reading, and reading... It's nothing against you, I've done it myself. Keep in mind a few things:

#1, this is a concentrated enthusiast site. That means that we see this car under a magnifying glass every day. IF there is a chance of something breaking in the drivetrain of the car...it will be with us because:

#2, Hardly anyone on this site has a 100% stock Camaro...and,

#3, Most of us do not drive the car like we're in Priuses.

This is a statement given to us a few months ago by John Fitzpatrick, the Marketing Manager for Camaro:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...esponse+output

Make special note of this part:

Quote:
At the end of the review, we concluded the probability of a customer experiencing an output shaft failure under normal driving conditions are very low (or - if you are into engineer speak, "below tolerance"). In fact, even in the most extreme driving condition, the probability of failure does not significantly change.
They test these cars to meet warranty coverage requirements...and then the keep going. These cars are, despite that belief otherwise...TOUGH. You can't do a lot to break them in stock form...and even when modified...there is a FAR greater number of people here with working supercharged cars than not. (I would be willing to say this is 100 to 1...but I haven't actually kept track.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #38
jabbar

Drives: 300C
Thanks for the helpful comments and the flaming ones too ....i needed a good laugh....im dying for my camaro...
Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #39
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Thanks for the helpful comments and the flaming ones too ....i needed a good laugh....im dying for my camaro...
You are gonna love it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #40
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Don't over analyze. I own a 2010 Mustang GT and a 2010 Camaro SS and have seen 0 issues with either. Both fantastic cars and a ton of fun to drive.

Remember there are some who can break an anvil. Don't let those experiences influence your decision/perception.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #41
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
:troll:
Old 04-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #42
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm thinking that the problem with drivetrain parts was isolated, and probably the result of a bad batch of parts at Tremec. We all saw the video of the burnout contests, where the clutch was dumped with the engine against the limiter. If these issues were common to all the cars, and not isolated incidents, it would have shown up there. Besides, doesn't the Camaro use the same Tremec transmission as the Viper and Challenger?

I do find it a little humerous that this charge of poor drivetrain quality is coming from someone who owns a Chrysler...A CHRYSLER!!, the textbook, dictionary definition example of poor quality, transmissions in particular.

Closed Thread