Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #85
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I've got a question that you might be able to answer...

You, and several others (including Scott) have all said how amazing the V6 cars is. Is the performance flabbergasting just because [you can't believe] it's coming out of a V6? Or is it really that fast?
Actually, a little bit of both! (I'm such a diplomat! )
My impression is that anybody driving the V6 for the 1st time would think there was a V8 under the hood if they didn't know otherwise - so in that sense, it really is surprising that is a V6.

Having said that, I'll tell you that I could live quite happily with the V6 car as a daily driver. "That fast" is subjective. I have a '99 STS and a "somewhat modified" L67 (blower) Bonneville SE (base model - not the SSEi). In my mind, both these cars are "pretty quick". Given the choice among the STS, my Bonny and the V6 Camaro, I'd choose to drive the Camaro - but maybe that's because it's a manual!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 05-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #86
garfin
Resident Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneyTone View Post
Now, being a person that drives a 98' SS if the V-6 gets this kind of reaction, there is no way 260hp will do that. And I too believe there will be all 304hp available at launch. If not ,then something is truely wrong with you garfin.
... well, I don't see a shrink, I don't take any medication... and I passed my last physical with flying colors.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #87
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Actually, a little bit of both! (I'm such a diplomat! )
My impression is that anybody driving the V6 for the 1st time would think there was a V8 under the hood if they didn't know otherwise - so in that sense, it really is surprising that is a V6.

Having said that, I'll tell you that I could live quite happily with the V6 car as a daily driver. "That fast" is subjective. I have a '99 STS and a "somewhat modified" L67 (blower) Bonneville SE (base model - not the SSEi). In my mind, both these cars are "pretty quick". Given the choice among the STS, my Bonny and the V6 Camaro, I'd choose to drive the Camaro - but maybe that's because it's a manual!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Exactly the answer I was lookin' for!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #88
garfin
Resident Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
Just wondering if you can clarify any on this statement. Are you saying the production intent cars weren't perfect because something wasn't complete yet, or that you saw some shortcomings in the completed production-ready aspects of the car that prompted this?
Ill try...
Sure, there were a number of things on the car that were not in final form, so that's part of it...
The other aspect is based on my own personal wants - no big deal. For example, a couple of weeks ago, I bought 2 stackable sun loungers and brought them home in my 4th Gen. Just lift up the hatch, fold down the rear seat and toss 'em in - no sweat! I couldn't do that with this car because it's not a hatch... so for me, a little versatility is lost.
The good news is that this car is designed to elicit an emotional response - and from where I sit, the car is extremely successful in this regard! It achieves this as a result of its design and how it looks. If versatility is a big factor for me, then I should look at a 4 door sedan or a truck. Thankfully, it's not, and I'll go for the car that tugs on my heartstrings and be prepared to sacrifice in a couple of areas that are not as high up on my priority list!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 05-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #89
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Was the performance of the V6 even close to that of the V8? I'm really really interested in the V6 and want to make sure I'm buying a true performance car.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #90
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I never thought I'd say this, but with all the good stuff I'm reading about the V6, I may just give it an honest chance. I mean, if it really has as good or better performance than I used to believe, I may just forgo the V8 in lieu of lower maintenance, insurance, and of course fuel costs.

I'm sure my change in sentiment is exactly what GM was going for.

I think what makes this a great possible success is that they are making a manual available on the V6. If the stick were only available on the V8 and an auto only on V6, it would kill the car.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #91
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I don't think the V6 is going to be THAT much more fuel-efficient than a V8 to make it a "must have" for me. I see many people who look at a smidgen more MPG as if it's pure gold, when it's not.

If the V6 gets 26MPG and the V8 gets 24MPG then the difference is around 8% difference in mileage. If fuel were $10.00 a gallon and you drove 10,000 miles a year you'd spend $3486.15 on fuel to drive the V6 and $4166.67 to drive the V8 that year. You only save $680.50 to drive the V6. And this is if gas were $10.00 a gallon. If gas stabilizes at $5.00 a gallon, you'd only save $340.25 a year. I'm not made of money, but to have V8 "bragging rights" is worth an extra $25-$30 a month. If it came down to it, I'd skip a trip to the movies (2x $10.00 a ticket and $12.00 for popcorn and soda) each month to have the V8.

Last edited by Captain Awesome; 05-20-2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Typo and math error.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #92
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^ Just as long as it isn't Transformers that you skip!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #93
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I don't think the V6 is going to be THAT much more fuel-efficient than a V8 to make it a "must have" for me. I see many people who look at a smidgen more MPG as if it's pure gold, when it's not.

If the V6 gets 26MPG and the V8 gets 24MPG then the difference is around 8% difference in mileage. If fuel were $10.00 a gallon and you drove 10,000 miles a year you'd spend $3486.15 on fuel to drive the V6 and $4166.67 to drive the V8 that year. You only save $680.50 to drive the V6. And this is if gas were $10.00 a gallon. If gas stabilizes at $5.00 a gallon, you'd only save $340.25 a year. I'm not made of money, but to have V8 "bragging rights" is worth an extra $25-$30 a month. If it came down to it, I'd skip a trip to the movies (2x $10.00 a ticket and $12.00 for popcorn and soda) each month to have the V8.
Add to that insurance costs and maintenance costs and the difference will go up.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #94
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Insurance will differ a bit here and there but not that much unless you're in a risk pool or have millions of tickets or accidents. I don't see that as a huge factor.

As far as maintenance goes... what maintenance? It's not like people are changing points and plugs every 10K miles anymore. These engines need oil and filter changes and that's pretty much it for quite a few miles. One could argue that a DOHC V6 with 4 valves per cylinder needs more care and feeding than a pushrod V8. But I would say maintenance is a tie in this day and age.

About the only thing you might get into trouble with is having to replace the tires more often with the V8.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #95
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Insurance will differ a bit here and there but not that much unless you're in a risk pool or have millions of tickets or accidents. I don't see that as a huge factor.

As far as maintenance goes... what maintenance? It's not like people are changing points and plugs every 10K miles anymore. These engines need oil and filter changes and that's pretty much it for quite a few miles. One could argue that a DOHC V6 with 4 valves per cylinder needs more care and feeding than a pushrod V8. But I would say maintenance is a tie in this day and age.

About the only thing you might get into trouble with is having to replace the tires more often with the V8.
This is what I'm thinking. I'm of the thought simple is better. Most engines nowadays will go between 5-10K miles between oil changes, depending on driving and conditions. And air filter here or there, fuel filter, tranny service, axle service, and you're good to like 100K miles.

All this V6 discussion though is very interesting. I'm looking forward to any and more information

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #96
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
This is what I'm thinking. I'm of the thought simple is better. Most engines nowadays will go between 5-10K miles between oil changes, depending on driving and conditions. And air filter here or there, fuel filter, tranny service, axle service, and you're good to like 100K miles.

All this V6 discussion though is very interesting. I'm looking forward to any and more information
Exactly! I've only has GM cars for the past 20 years so I can't speak for other makes but I've gotten 100K on everything without any fuss other than regular oil and filter changes. Tranny and axle service would be the same if you had any motor in there. You can't even say that oil is more expensive for the V8 because I've seen sixes that take more oil than my LS1. I think the I-5 even takes more oil.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #97
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Does that mean major changes like using a new font or going with 10MPH increments? Or are we talking about some little thing like painting the needles a brighter color?

all of that and more.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #98
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
all of that and more.
oooh la la.... take that for a response captain, LOL! j/k.

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote