Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #127
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRACER View Post
hello guys ( and ladies).. i am new to the site and have been getting alot of great ideas thanks for that... but what i would like to know is ?? i have a 2010 2ss/rs and i have been reading this mod and would love to do this. but i have never seen my drl's on at all.. and i have been looking for the fog light switch with no luck???
If you have the RS appearance package then you won't have a fog light button.

The "fog lights" on the RS are actually the Daytime Running Lights. If they're not coming on during the day then your light sensor might be bad.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #128
WILDRACER
WILDRACER

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs IOM.
thanks for the help slick... i guess its off to the dealership monday ....
WILDRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #129
techy96z

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS IOM Interior
Anyone have the wiring diagram to make a plug and play harness using the relay instead of the diodes?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 AM   #130
thebrainhart

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM LS3 A6
fieldgoal00 has a nice plug and play harness (I think it uses a relay, but not sure), but their costly.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157389

Really, its pretty simple, heres one I quickly threw together.
Your problem will lie in getting the connectors to make it truly plug-n-play, which is where fieldgoal's is good.
This should be equally safe as using the diodes, so you should be fine
Attached Images

Some ProCharger, Alky, CompCams, Brian Tooley, Holley, Livernois, K&N, Ridetech, DSS, Kooks, JDP Motorsports, Pfadt, BMR, Prothane, Weld, M&H, Mickey Thompson, RKSport, Elite, Garys, Defenderworx, Anvil, etc.

Last edited by thebrainhart; 07-20-2011 at 01:31 AM.
thebrainhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #131
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
I just bought the harness and it worked like a charm. DRLs always on. Plus I bought the LEDs for it so now they almost match the headlights. The fogs are now a little bit more blue than the headlights.

It was very simple took 30 min max. Lift, remove torx screws, unplug wire, insert wire harness, remove bulbs, install leds, rescrew, drop and done!

35 for each led, and I can't remember how much the harness was but it was cheap too, less complicated than cliping wires, soldering, and looking at diagrams... just plug and go.
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #132
mouse

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs conv, L99/Automatic
if you always turn off your DRL's during the daytime, as I do, but would like to have them on with your Halo/pk lamps, why not just cut the power wire to the DRL's, splice into the side marker light power wire and hook the other end of the splice to the socket side of the DRL power wire. thus DRl's on with Halo's and or HID's. dont have to worry about no diodes, or backfeed voltage, just a thought! does anyone think this will work? or would the two extra lamps running off the sidemarker circuit create a (too many amp) problem. using LED's for the DRL's should help, just thinking!

Last edited by mouse; 08-29-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: after thought!
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #133
thebrainhart

That would work just fine, if thats how you wanted it.
And correct, since the power from the DRL is no longer present, there is no need for diodes.
The side marker power is plenty to power 2 additional LED fog lights. I've been running mine that way for almost 2 years, and 24k miles.

Some ProCharger, Alky, CompCams, Brian Tooley, Holley, Livernois, K&N, Ridetech, DSS, Kooks, JDP Motorsports, Pfadt, BMR, Prothane, Weld, M&H, Mickey Thompson, RKSport, Elite, Garys, Defenderworx, Anvil, etc.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #134
RSokie
Proud owner of Litho #195

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
I got my harness from fieldgoal it works great!...plug and play
RSokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #135
BumbleBee3
Roll Out

Drives: 2012 2SS Transformer Edition
Nice job on the write up.

BumbleBee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #136
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrainhart View Post
I was wrong, looked into it today, and there are not halo fuses. You'd have to find the wires to the halo.
The good thing, you can connect the DRL wires to the halo wires without any diodes, and each will power the other on.
Halo's on with DRL, DRL on with halo's (and therefore park lights, headlights)
Quote:
Without the diodes, the DRL circuits would power on the front side marker lights, and probably (depending on how everything is wired up) would power on all park lights, basically back feeding things that shouldn't be back fed. Basically what jrhaus76 was talking about above.

Not using the diodes in this case would be a bad thing, and probably would cause problems. In this thread, some people have wired up and have damaged the diodes and such, and they had some funky electrical problems.

To do the halo with DRL wiring, you'd have to figure out what wires are the halo's, then you could do a similar job like this one to make the halo's be on whenever they are requested on, and whenever the DRLs are on.

I've promised people that I'd look into this, but I havent yet, sorry guys
Did you ever look into this more carefully? On the first post you say that you can connect the DRL wires to the Halo wires without any diodes. On the second post you say that to do the halo with DRL wiring you could do a similar job like this one, yet this job requires adding diodes. I really want to have the DRLs (P13W LEDs from v-leds) and Halos come on during daytime on Auto mode, then have the DRLs (fog lights) come on with Halos and HIDs during nighttime also on Auto mode, but don't want to spend close to $200 for a harness that provides this functionality if it's not necessary. I'm just not sure if the way it was done in the following thread, which corresponds to what you stated in the first post above, is safe or not:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137102

Any insight?
Klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #137
thebrainhart

I never did look into it closer, sorry. It looks like the method SUX2BU used would work, I don't think he's had any problems, and it looks like he did it almost a year ago.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #138
sasj316

Drives: CGM Camaro SS 2011
Can anyone tell me if I can turn all these independently?

As in:

1. Halos only
2. DRL Only
3. Halos + DRL
4. Headlights only
5. Headlights + DRL

I have been trying to search for it but seems like if you use a harness, it keeps the DRLs on all the time.
sasj316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #139
jesses

Drives: 2012 2SS
What's the difference between using relays instead of diodes? Is one better or more safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwyFlyer View Post
Thanks to everyone on this thread. I made my own harness(s) for this mod. My final version includes a relay and no diodes.
jesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #140
jesses

Drives: 2012 2SS
That link no longer works. Is there still a place to get this harness?

Quote:
fieldgoal00 has a nice plug and play harness (I think it uses a relay, but not sure), but their costly.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157389
jesses is offline   Reply With Quote