Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Reborn

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt
We have so many conflicting reports about the C7. Some say it will be revolutionary and completely different than the C6 while others say it's going to be evolutionary and just a small warm up to tide us over until they bring out the all new C8 a few years later. I bet we won't get any solid information on this car until next year.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
We have so many conflicting reports about the C7. Some say it will be revolutionary and completely different than the C6 while others say it's going to be evolutionary and just a small warm up to tide us over until they bring out the all new C8 a few years later. I bet we won't get any solid information on this car until next year.
This is the only one that I've seen in a while that suggest that the C7 will be revolutionary. Most of the reports I've been hearing are that the C7 will largely be based off the current C6, with an evolved design from the C5/C6 generations which incorporates elements from the Stingray/Centennial concept. It is also supposed to be a relatively short production, making way for the C8 a few years later.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #17
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
There have been reports that the car is referred to as the "C6.5" within GM.

Don't expect any drastic changes.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
There have been reports that the car is referred to as the "C6.5" within GM.

Don't expect any drastic changes.
Did they also call the C6 the 'C5.5'?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-13-2011, 12:46 AM   #19
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I'd like to see the C7 have butterfly doors. Those are just soooo cool!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Mid engine....

Much smaller with a blown V6? Now that I could believe.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #21
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Did they also call the C6 the 'C5.5'?
Haha, no but everyone else did.
I'm guessing the styling will be a milder version of the Stingray concept. I'm not sure what advantage a mid engine design would have, but i'm betting they wait a few more years to see just what the future holds as far as gas mileage standards before they make a big change in the Corvette.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
Haha, no but everyone else did.
I'm guessing the styling will be a milder version of the Stingray concept. I'm not sure what advantage a mid engine design would have, but i'm betting they wait a few more years to see just what the future holds as far as gas mileage standards before they make a big change in the Corvette.
Not much. It would increase the weight over the rear axle, and therefore improve the rear grip. It could also improve the polar moment of inertia (basically ... keep big heavy things like the engine and tranny in the middle) and make the car easier to rotate. However ... the Corvette is already at 50/50 weight distribution and I bet they could even push it to 47/53 if they really wanted to, while keeping the engine up front. Its thought that the ideal is somewhere around 45/55. More tail weight leads to less front grip, which is bad for steering and also gives the car a desire to swap ends (this can be dealt with ... but why not avoid it in the first place?). More nose weight than that and the car will tend to push (also known as being 'tight' or understeering). While a tight handling car can be a disapointment to enthusiasts, automakers always build their cars to understeer because its safer in case you lose control: you'll hit the tree head on (which is where cars are designed to take the strongest impact) rather than backwards or in the side.

Most cars with the driver between the front axle and the engine (the 'classic' mid-engine config) tend to have about a 40/60 weight distribution. So I'd call it at least a wash between FMR (front-mid engine/rear drive) and RMR (rear-mid engine/rear drive)config, with the possible edge going to FMR

Now inertia ... this is where RMR cars tend to shine. Cars tend to want to pivot around their engine and transmission. Additionally, the further the turning wheels are from the engine and transmission, the easier it is for them to rotate the car around. That said ... nobody has really expressed much of a concern over the Corvettes ability to rotate. This is partially due to the Corvette separating the engine from the transmission by using a torque tube and a transaxle. By doing that, they pulled the moment of inertia back a bit (as well as improving the weight distribution).

Overall, there are benefits to be made but nothing substantial. Afterall, the ZR1 has posted some of the best handling numbers of any production car ever so its not as if there are any glaring deficiencies in the basic design.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Not much. It would increase the weight over the rear axle, and therefore improve the rear grip. It could also improve the polar moment of inertia (basically ... keep big heavy things like the engine and tranny in the middle) and make the car easier to rotate. However ... the Corvette is already at 50/50 weight distribution and I bet they could even push it to 47/53 if they really wanted to, while keeping the engine up front. Its thought that the ideal is somewhere around 45/55. More tail weight leads to less front grip, which is bad for steering and also gives the car a desire to swap ends (this can be dealt with ... but why not avoid it in the first place?). More nose weight than that and the car will tend to push (also known as being 'tight' or understeering). While a tight handling car can be a disapointment to enthusiasts, automakers always build their cars to understeer because its safer in case you lose control: you'll hit the tree head on (which is where cars are designed to take the strongest impact) rather than backwards or in the side.

Most cars with the driver between the front axle and the engine (the 'classic' mid-engine config) tend to have about a 40/60 weight distribution. So I'd call it at least a wash between FMR (front-mid engine/rear drive) and RMR (rear-mid engine/rear drive)config, with the possible edge going to FMR

Now inertia ... this is where RMR cars tend to shine. Cars tend to want to pivot around their engine and transmission. Additionally, the further the turning wheels are from the engine and transmission, the easier it is for them to rotate the car around. That said ... nobody has really expressed much of a concern over the Corvettes ability to rotate. This is partially due to the Corvette separating the engine from the transmission by using a torque tube and a transaxle. By doing that, they pulled the moment of inertia back a bit (as well as improving the weight distribution).

Overall, there are benefits to be made but nothing substantial. Afterall, the ZR1 has posted some of the best handling numbers of any production car ever so its not as if there are any glaring deficiencies in the basic design.
Too much good stuff in this post.