Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
2011 Camaro SS vs 2011 Mustang GT

What is Chevy's answer to Ford's higher HP and lighter GT mustang?

Please don't say Z28, b/c right now it seems that's more in competition with the GT500.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
As of yet there is'nt one. But I'll bet it will be a close one giving the edge to the lighter Mustang, at least for now.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
I think the 2011 Camaro SS gets optional 3.73 gears and HUD, hopefully Chevy will have there own "track pack". The 4th gens did have the 1LE suspension package.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
What is Chevy's answer to Ford's higher HP and lighter GT mustang?

Please don't say Z28, b/c right now it seems that's more in competition with the GT500.
Hard to answer until Ford brings out more than a smokescreen. You do have to wonder where GM is on the development of their next-gen LS with direct injection though.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Constant improvement.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
LSXgirl

Drives: turbo'd 4 banger
I thought the new mustangs were only rated at 400 even?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'd say Chevy's answer is a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs. That's been the answer to every Mustang ever made since 1967, and that 7-year production break was just a chance for the Mustang to start catching up. It's no fun if you're beating a dead horse. You've got to let it recover after a bad enough 4-generation beating.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 09-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'd say Chevy's answer is a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs. That's been the answer to every Mustang ever made since 1967, and that 7-year production break was just a chance for the Mustang to start catching up. It's no fun if you're beating a dead horse. You've got to let it recover after a bad enough 4-generation beating.
Mostly true, but I believe that's about to end.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
I think the 2011 Camaro SS gets optional 3.73 gears and HUD, hopefully Chevy will have there own "track pack". The 4th gens did have the 1LE suspension package.
I will be surprised if we don't see suspension revisions across the board for the 2011 model year, and if for some reason they don't show up for the 2011 model year I will be utterly amazed if they don't show for 2012. The 3.73:1 gears should be a great help too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal
Hard to answer until Ford brings out more than a smokescreen.
Hardly a smokescreen, while we don't have official numbers as yet the 5.0L powered Mustang GT will be going into production in March, which means the engine is almost certainly slated for a Job 1 date sometime in January. Number coming out now are probably pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal
You do have to wonder where GM is on the development of their next-gen LS with direct injection though.
I'm wondering myself, but I suspect we'll be working with updated versions of the current gen LS motors in the Camaro through the 2012 model year. No bad thing there, the LS V8 has a lot of life left in her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXgirl
I thought the new mustangs were only rated at 400 even?
400hp is a preliminary number, and of late these leaked preliminary numbers....which many folks are now beginning to believe are instigated by Ford since there is a distinct pattern......have been universally conservative even if only by a little. Personally, I think the real shock with the 5.0L V8 is going to be the torque curve.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
chevys

Drives: 03 Mach 1
Weight will forever haunt the F5 Camaro. No way around it and no real pratical way to shed it. Zeta equal fail. The engineers did the best they could with what they had to work with but the weight still is too much and everybody knows it. Im still astonished with all they time they had to develop this car its so heavy. GM, you failed miserably.

Ford on the other hand seems to be moving in the right direction. We have reached power levels that I never dreamed about but now weight is the big kicker. I see Ford getting lighter and much sooner. The F5 is a pig but it has big power from the ls3. The ls3 is the saving grace for it. I love the engine but I dont like the car overall and that seems to be my opinion of most GM vehicles these days. Great drive trains with crappy everything else.

The 2011 Mustang could be a hot ticket boys. I dont know the exact numbers but in my old age I honestly think of more than just quarter mile times. The total package means much more. In my younger days I was an all out most power type of person. Thank God, I grew up.

I was thinking the other day and though the 2011 GT500 could weigh about the same as the V6 Camaro. Now, that is sad. Im not trying to beat a dead horse but when your that fat it just wont go away. Im holding out for the F6. I just cant get excited about the F5. Plus, the interior is hideous to put it mildly imo.

The good news is that muscle car wars are on and Ford is in the game for a change. I always give a thumbs up to Maro drivers and usually they do the same back to me. We are all in this together no matter what make you chose. Everybody stay safe and if you want to race take it to the track.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I can't believe what I just read......Really...I can't. It's just....ughhhh

*sigh*
Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
KoTToN

Drives: 2005 SilveradoSS AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys View Post
Weight will forever haunt the F5 Camaro. No way around it and no real pratical way to shed it. Zeta equal fail. The engineers did the best they could with what they had to work with but the weight still is too much and everybody knows it. Im still astonished with all they time they had to develop this car its so heavy. GM, you failed miserably.
so there was no way to reduce weight on the camaro, but gm is fail because they didnt reduce the weight on the camaro?

i vote this moron post of 09
Like I said before, there is a dealership that is 4 miles away from my house that has 3 2SS's just sitting on their lot. And this is a very small dealership it's not a high volume dealership in a populated area., Come early summer, when 2011's are coming out, the camaro will be offered for 0%. I guarantee it
Sales Forcasting 101B:
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofcc View Post
apparently you didn't understand my post correctly. If there are 4 (now 6) camaros sitting at a low volume dealership, just imagine how many are sitting at the high volume dealerships
Old 09-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #13
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
ummm oooohhhkay
Old 09-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #14
LSXgirl

Drives: turbo'd 4 banger
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys View Post

Ford on the other hand seems to be moving in the right direction. We have reached power levels that I never dreamed about but now weight is the big kicker. I see Ford getting lighter and much sooner. The F5 is a pig but it has big power from the ls3. The ls3 is the saving grace for it. I love the engine but I dont like the car overall and that seems to be my opinion of most GM vehicles these days. Great drive trains with crappy everything else.

The 2011 Mustang could be a hot ticket boys. I dont know the exact numbers but in my old age I honestly think of more than just quarter mile times. The total package means much more. In my younger days I was an all out most power type of person. Thank God, I grew up.

I was thinking the other day and though the 2011 GT500 could weigh about the same as the V6 Camaro. Now, that is sad. Im not trying to beat a dead horse but when your that fat it just wont go away. Im holding out for the F6. I just cant get excited about the F5. Plus, the interior is hideous to put it mildly imo.

The good news is that muscle car wars are on and Ford is in the game for a change. I always give a thumbs up to Maro drivers and usually they do the same back to me. We are all in this together no matter what make you chose. Everybody stay safe and if you want to race take it to the track.
I think you're on the wrong board here.

Closed Thread