Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #15
bonnhew

Drives: Audi A5
im in the same situation as you are .. recently graduated, living home.. planning to get a camaro.. it all depends on what you want man.. im tired of driving my toyota camry and id rather have a nice sports car than my own place..lol
bonnhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #16
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Being a father myself I can tell you that I would want my daughter to stay home for at least 3 or 4 year's after high shcool. So I would say if your parent's are cool with it then go for it, just make sure to help out once in a while.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #17
KatarHol

Drives: '04 Mustang GT
Move out and make it on your own before you buy a expensive car. Having that car now might impede your future progress because your life will revolve around having to make that payment and maintaining the car. What if you had a kid next year or if you wanted to move to a different city or state,now's the time to find yourself before you're tied down to GM for 5 or 6 years. Camaros are plentiful and they aren't going anywhere,it'll be there when you're ready.
KatarHol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #18
will69camaro

Drives: 1969 and 2010 Camaros
Agree move out then get the car. I'm young and recent grad (1.5 years ago). Hard to feel like a badass and bring a girl home when you have to worry about your parents being there. Be glad you have a way to live and save up a cash "buffer" if an emergency comes up. Use this time to do just that and work on getting your own place. These cars will be around and will only get cheaper.

I worked on securing my cash reserve while paying my own rent/bills as a new grad (fortunately have a significant other who has a good job as well so that helps). Put off a new car for a while as we saved and setup our living situation then recently jumped at the opportunity to pick up an SS when we came across a good deal.

Cliffs: Move out THEN buy car. Get your finances in order before committing yourself to a big car payment, especially right out of school.
will69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:24 AM   #19
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
These cars will be around and will only get cheaper.
Yeah?

Don't want you guys to think I'm a total scumbag... I do work full time, got my college degree, and could support myself.

I'm saving money rather efficiently and honestly I'm more likely to buy a house / co-op in 3-4 years than rent an apartment. For the record I have a good job as an underwriter, and I pay my family some rent. They've never asked but I do want to contribute. I'm not milking my parents.

But I see where you're coming from. I can't be suave with a new car if I'm bringing home girls to my parents house...

Thanks for providing me some outside perspectives. But since I am not even entertaining the idea of moving out for some time now, until I can actually own something rather than rent it (went to school for economics, I want equity), the real dea for me is... how much of a scumbag will I look like having the car and living in mom's basement... Is it that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnhew View Post
im in the same situation as you are .. recently graduated, living home.. planning to get a camaro.. it all depends on what you want man.. im tired of driving my toyota camry
It is the most boring car ever made. Albeit reliable and trouble free, that's no excuse.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:38 AM   #20
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
As a parent of a 23 and 19 year old, I'd love for them to still all be living with us but the eldest left home for college at 18 and never moved back in, but I think the 19 yo will be with us for a while in this economy. Having said that, I'd have a hard time if he came home sportin a new Camaro with me footing all the rest of the bills.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #21
HEMI DAVE

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2015 Hellcat Challenger,
I would set up my life first.

I left home at 18 (dad said you are 18, time to go) and it was hard but it put life into perspective for me.

I learned to put my money into things that would make me money and then get the toys.

No young man wants to hear that but if you do that you will be on the right track.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #22
will69camaro

Drives: 1969 and 2010 Camaros
Yea I know what you mean about buying and having equity. I graduated 2 years ago (I'm 25) and we close on a custom home this tuesday. Set yourself up then worry about the car. As I said it'll only get cheaper. I'm glad you pay your parents rent but moving out and being independent is better than getting a car and living at home. I mean I understand in these economic times as posted above it's more and more common to live at home to "share the expense" but it sounds like you got a good job and CAN move out just aren't.

Take it from someone virtually the same age as you, get a house (save and buy one if that's what you want to do) THEN get the car.
will69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #23
CyberGray2SSRS

Drives: SOON 2010 Cyber Gray 2SSRS
What do your parents drive?

Are you out of a car?

No offense, but I'm suprised at how many "kids" are buying these cars. 31k+ isn't cheap. I'm 30, engineer, out of college for a while, home owner, and still was very hesitant to buy. My truck was totalled so it pushed me over the edge.

I think it would be disrespectful to your parents. You say you pay rent, but until your on your own, you don't really know how much it cost to live.
CyberGray2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #24
gjordon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS\RS
I would discuss with your parents regarding the car and living arrangments if you haven't already done so. If all of you agree, thats all that really matters.
Good Luck!

Old 09-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #25
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'm not older or more experience than you. But I know exactly what you mean because I'm pretty much in the same boat right now. I would not consider buying a brand new car while living with mom and dad. The 'right' thing to do is to get your own place and then the Camaro. Ultimately, its better to be spending money on a mortgage than payments on a car. I figure that might be a couple years until I can buy my Camaro but so be it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'm not older or more experience than you. But I know exactly what you mean because I'm pretty much in the same boat right now. I would not consider buying a brand new car while living with mom and dad. The 'right' thing to do is to get your own place and then the Camaro. Ultimately, its better to be spending money on a mortgage than payments on a car. I figure that might be a couple years until I can buy my Camaro but so be it.
I have another year or so before I'm "out there".

But I refuse to put my life on hold for a car, no matter how fantastic it is -- but I WILL have it. Patience is a virtue, and this car is worth every minute of waiting, imo.

fwiw, currently, my plan is this:

I have $0 loans/debt/etc
I have a paid-off '08MY car
I have a goal of saving up $5000 for use when I exit school.
And I will probably have a job ready for me when I get out of college.
I figure I can afford a $400/mo payment, and consider it my college loans/car payment, before everything else.

So about one to two years into a "real" job, I will have saved enough money up for a sizeable down payment on the car, presumably have a house+payments...If it all works out, I'll have started my life just few minutes before buying the car of my dreams.

Bottom line, get settled, and make sure you can still afford the SS a few years into the future.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #27
Speed 1

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro 365 days a year
Get the car----> than the women-----> than the house ----> than the kids----> than sell the car----> buy a Van.

Just kidding..... do what will benifit you, your girlfriend, and your family for the long run.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #28
StephanieR1981

Drives: a bucket
if you wouldn't be able to afford it if you lived on your own, no. if you would, then yes. you might have to be able to support yourself sooner than you planned so dont bite off more than you can chew. not lacking in any part of your life to pay for a car is a good feeling.

Last edited by StephanieR1981; 09-28-2009 at 12:57 PM.
StephanieR1981 is offline   Reply With Quote