Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Possible Federal Mandate for More Nannies in our Cars

Unless you have been hiding the past few months,you know about the Toyota situation regarding throttle problems. AS a result of this, the Automotive News is reporting that the US Department of Transportation is considering a Brake Override system to force your car to override the throttle when both the Brake Pedal and the Throttle are pressed at the same time.

Here's a brief quote from the Article at Automotive News this morning:

"U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has said that safety regulators may require all new cars to have braking systems that tell the engine to return to idle when both accelerator and brake pedals are depressed."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0hhOA87mo

This is from an article about Mazda installing these on their cars. They also cite VW, Chrysler, and Mercedes as already doing this. Likely,it seems as this is one of the things Toyota may do.

I for one am somewhat disappointed in this possibility. It is basically taking full control of our vehicles out of our hands.

I dread the day when this may be on our Camaros. Now if we had the option of disabling this when we wanted, I could live with that.

I won't make any further political comments, as that leads to a spiral ending in closing this thread.

Please keep the discussions civil here.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Just make all cars with manual transmissions.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
haleyd
determined future owner

Drives: 2004 pontiac grand prix gt2
Send a message via AIM to haleyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Just make all cars with manual transmissions.
i would never be able to drive a car again if they did that. me + stick shift = hot mess lol
haleyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It makes sense...in the event somebody freaks out and jams both pedals down...this will allow them to stop.

BUT...it could also interfere with heel-toe shifting unless it could be "turned off" via sport mode on the traction control.

Personally...I'd like to see more effort placed on changing the DRIVER than the car...a comprehensive driver-education program would be nice...

Write your legislators!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Ghost of Vincent Price
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Good thing they make line locks and tranny brakes.
Ghost of Vincent Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
Unless you have been hiding the past few months,you know about the Toyota situation regarding throttle problems. AS a result of this, the Automotive News is reporting that the US Department of Transportation is considering a Brake Override system to force your car to override the throttle when both the Brake Pedal and the Throttle are pressed at the same time.

Here's a brief quote from the Article at Automotive News this morning:

"U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has said that safety regulators may require all new cars to have braking systems that tell the engine to return to idle when both accelerator and brake pedals are depressed."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0hhOA87mo

This is from an article about Mazda installing these on their cars. They also cite VW, Chrysler, and Mercedes as already doing this. Likely,it seems as this is one of the things Toyota may do.

I for one am somewhat disappointed in this possibility. It is basically taking full control of our vehicles out of our hands.

I dread the day when this may be on our Camaros. Now if we had the option of disabling this when we wanted, I could live with that.

I won't make any further political comments, as that leads to a spiral ending in closing this thread.

Please keep the discussions civil here.

goodbye burnouts with automatic transmissions! Oh and would this apply for the two feet driver people that you see around that ride the brakes while accelerating???
Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
GreyGhost

Drives: Custom CGM/Pearl White 2010 Camaro
While it would cure the two-footed drivers (you know, the ones doing 40 mph with the brake lights lit leaving you no way of knowing when they really use the brakes)...it would make it tough to do a burnout.

Think of the money I could save on tires!

CGM w/ Pearl White and Kandy Kopper FlexPaint wrap, matching bow ties and brake covers, amber halos & fogs"
Awesome image by: Hazman

Last edited by GreyGhost; 03-09-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It makes sense...in the event somebody freaks out and jams both pedals down...this will allow them to stop.

BUT...it could also interfere with heel-toe shifting unless it could be "turned off" via sport mode on the traction control.

Personally...I'd like to see more effort placed on changing the DRIVER than the car...a comprehensive driver-education program would be nice...

Write your legislators!
Jalopnik interviewed a Toyota product guy about the system because of the upcoming FT-86 sports car and the fear that you can't do A) Burnouts and B) heel/toe downshifts. He said its a lot more than just an on/off switch, its part of the computer and monitors vehicle speed and other things so it can tell when you're doing something like that or if you are panic stopping.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
It certainly is going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Certainly will have an impact on heel/toe driving for sure . I guess a lot will depend on the way this is programmed into the system. Which is scary too in light of all the questions being raised about the computers and electronics.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
TiE2000

Drives: Cobalt SS/SC
I don't know about anyone else here... but my first reaction when "panic stopping" is not to hit the brake and gas at the same time...
TiE2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiE2000 View Post
I don't know about anyone else here... but my first reaction when "panic stopping" is not to hit the brake and gas at the same time...
not to defend my actions as a 15 year old, but one time my dad didn't think I was stopping fast enough in the garage. So my 15 year old instinct told me I must be on the wrong pedal. So I slammed the other pedal and rammed the garage wall. Luckily you can't accelerate too much in 10 feet

But sometimes peoples instincts are just off. And since I drive a manual transmission I use the left foot for the clutch and right for the brake in an emergency stopping situation. So what if somebody somehow got their feet shifted and slammed the accelerator and brake by accident?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
TiE2000

Drives: Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
not to defend my actions as a 15 year old, but one time my dad didn't think I was stopping fast enough in the garage. So my 15 year old instinct told me I must be on the wrong pedal. So I slammed the other pedal and rammed the garage wall. Luckily you can't accelerate too much in 10 feet

But sometimes peoples instincts are just off. And since I drive a manual transmission I use the left foot for the clutch and right for the brake in an emergency stopping situation. So what if somebody somehow got their feet shifted and slammed the accelerator and brake by accident?

So I guess your dad's instincts were correct

I would say you are a minority here, as most people are not 16 when driving and know their way around a manual..... so for the most part they are not going to hit the wrong peddle.

besides in a year or so... driving a stick will come natural and you will no longer be in that minority.

Edit: Unless your one of my three sisters...
TiE2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyd View Post
i would never be able to drive a car again if they did that. me + stick shift = hot mess lol

lol
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Jalopnik interviewed a Toyota product guy about the system because of the upcoming FT-86 sports car and the fear that you can't do A) Burnouts and B) heel/toe downshifts. He said its a lot more than just an on/off switch, its part of the computer and monitors vehicle speed and other things so it can tell when you're doing something like that or if you are panic stopping.
While I'm sure a system can be designed to tell the difference that doesn't mean the rules will be written to allow such behavior. Always gotta keep an eye on those regulators and politicians!
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote