Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #85
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91t/a View Post
a I4 with 260 hp...thats slightly more than my third gen!!! and im not a fan of 4 bangers, but like its been said, u dont want it, dont buy it, but the 16-year old girl whos dady is going to buy her a convertible brand new aint gonna care about the engine.....and alot of the f-bodies sales dont come from the v8 models, so the 4 banger doesnt really matter to us, it helps us!!! most the f-bodies i see arnt v8s, so who cares whether is a 4 or 6 in there....most people wont and they'll go to the 4 for milage!
this is a smart move as far as preserving and maintaining the Camaro
91t/a You hit the nail right on the head^^^^^^

You couldn't be more correct...this is the market the T4 will reach. And thats ok.

Plus there always the rental market...that this would fit ito also.

And over seas....so don't get your panties in a bind!

EVERYONE keep in mind...to keep the Camaro in the line up, GM has to proivde different models for different markets.

Also planning ahead for the CAFE rules and requirments!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #86
DGOETZ

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
The pricing comment really worries me. I'm really hoping to get a moderately equipped V8 for under 30k. If not, that may scrap my plans to get this car, barring a major increase in my earning potential :(
You might have to go with a used Camaro in a couple of years.

The 2002 SS Hardtop, was just under $30,000 so the new car will be more than that.
Price a Pontiac G8 with a V8 and see what you come up with...I think you'll find it's more than $30,000...same platform as the new Camaro. The Impala SS is also in that 30k range as well.

Earning Potential...that term confuses me, it sounds like something arbitrary that some boss has assigned to you...I would not accept it.
GM - Power Antenna, 35th Anniversary Front and Rear Lettering
SLP - CAGS
Old 03-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #87
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
This is how i see it

economy camaro: 4 banger
Basline camaro: V-6
SS/Z-28: LS2 and don't deny it he said 400 hp V-8 WITH A CUTOFF

...wow we sure have a mustang fighter on our hands...
Old 03-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #88
lonestar_z28

Drives: 08 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Perhaps all you old timers have forgotten, and you young whippersnappers don't know this, but in 1982-86 the 3rd gen Camaro had a 4 cylinder engine standard. The late unlamented Iron Duke. Yes it was awful but there is a precedent for it. I'm more concerned about this damn AFM system. Why can't we just have the 402 hp 6.2 as announced for the G8 GXP? You would think economies of scale would make this engine the way to go. I don't plan on having my '10 SS on "cruising mode" a great deal of the time. And why detune the CTS 3.6? It's not like the CTS and Camaro buyers will be cross shopping. Just my 2 cents

Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #89
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
I am sure all of this has been covered since I have only read the first 2 pages of the thread so far and most of what I am saying has been said. I am at work and it is sometimes hard for me to read to much of this at once.

The big one I have not seen mentioned is "this will not be a heavy car" the fact that they are bringing focus on this is a big positive.

The I4 from what I understand would be the low version of the car instead of a low end V6 this will help spread the cost of the car and help them hit sales goals. I am not sure why the V6 would have only 260 horses that seem strange to me since Ed Wagner had said 300 about a week ago. You can all still get your 400hp V8 don't worry actually this helps them make those cars under CAFE.

As far as a premium, in car speak if you are charging a premium to a competitor that is like 10% so if the mustang GT with the V8 is 26,500 he is suggesting 29,000 higher than I had hoped but if as he is suggesting I do not need as many options I am ok with a starting price in that range. He is not saying something like 35,000 for the "main or base" V8 because then is would not be direct competition to the GT.

As long as they are providing more options with the I4 and not taking away the V8, delivering a car that is not heavy, and reasonably priced including things as standard that most people would have bought as options anyway. I think it is great.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #90
mega_man_01103

Drives: 2011-12 Chevy Camaro
Send a message via AIM to mega_man_01103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Times are changing. If you expected to never see a 4banger Camaro again, you were fooling yourself, frankly.

I stress to you: Do not underestimate this car simply because it will include a 4 cyllinder engine in it's lineup.

The V6, and the V8 will MORE than meet the needs of everyone here. And they will be prices close the the stang's version of such models. so a 300hp V6 for ~22-23k. Are you really gonna complain about that? Really? Why worry about a 4 cyllinder edition that you wouldn't buy anyways?

The inclusion of an I4 does NOT diminish the car's muscle/pony/sports car status. If anything, it enhances it. No, hear me out: What other sports car (of the three) could appeal to those who want a 4? None. This is a step up on the competition as much as it is a step down in some of your minds. It will assist the Camaro's sales, so that you and I can have our V8's.

There is much more to be gained by this revelation that not.

Please, don't worry. This is one of those times where you are really tested in your ability to keep the faith. From all the way up to Rick Wagoner, people in GM are as excited as us about this car. They WILL NOT fail us.
i tell you brother for a young guy, you sure know how to make a good point!!!!

and i agree with you totally. if there is a 4 banger, its allgravy. im not going to buy it. there will be a v8 and thats what i get. i bet they get more customers going this route.

Its all business

Last edited by mega_man_01103; 03-19-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: i cant spell
Old 03-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #91
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar_z28 View Post
And why detune the CTS 3.6? It's not like the CTS and Camaro buyers will be cross shopping. Just my 2 cents
Thank you! I don't get that bit at all. Hopefully that's not something that came directly out of Lutz's mouth but a figure they came up with to have something else to "spice up".
Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #92
MCPOAJ

Man you guys are gonna get some much **** from the cobalt guys cause they're gonna beat the **** out of a 4 banger maro and if ANYONE was worried about selling cars it's chrystler they NEED it right now and they didn't make a 4 banger challenger.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #93
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPOAJ View Post
Man you guys are gonna get some much **** from the cobalt guys cause they're gonna beat the **** out of a 4 banger maro and if ANYONE was worried about selling cars it's chrystler they NEED it right now and they didn't make a 4 banger challenger.
Dude, pipe down a little bit. This IS a Camaro forum.

And all the V6 bashers that basically hold the V6 Stang mentality; keep hating, because the experience i had in the new CTS w/ the 3.6 was nothing short of amazing and I enjoyed every last second behind the wheel of that car w/ that engine.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #94
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Meh, I'm not buying the 4cyl or the image that the camaro is better than anything on the street... If some cobalt guy gives me shit about camaros having a 4 cyl then ill just ask him to meet me at the track and let the cars do the talking. Care less about the "image" that some of you are so stuck on. Its a friggin car.

RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG, and you only have yourself to blame if you buy a 4cyl.

I can see it being popular, just like the V6's. Especially with gas prices.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #95
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
Either way the point is I think I agree with whom ever said that putting a 4 cylinder engine in a Camaro is an insult. On one hand you guys and FBodFather talk about tradition and joy of owning a Camaro..... well that all just went down the drain. How proud could you possibly be of having a 4 cylinder 'muscle car'?

What happened to the rumbling tradition of the good ole regular V8 or V6 engine?

A lot of you point out the potential of 4 and 6 cylinder engines.... I agree, but then why wouldn't a go buy my self a schnazzy car that is meant to have a 4 cylinder. This is like the ricer thing....trying to be a Camaro...that really isnt.

I mean are you joking me with all this. And whats the premium pricing all of a sudden? What happened to competitive. I think everyone agrees that paying more for the Camaro is viable given its a better product....but the idea is to be 'competitive' not premium...... I think it's about time the Fbodfather chime in and clear things up? It would me much appreciated.

The sad part about this is..... I think all of its actually true and it really will define the future of cars in general let alone muscle cars.

I suppose im done "having the faith'..... another couple months if there is no real concrete info I think im just gunna have to buy a base line vette or more likely a mustang gt or saleen i guess. I mean i dont wanna pay 40 grand plus for a 400 horse Camaro.

Its a sad day today.

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Old 03-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #96
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Yea, i dont know what the big deal is.
Remember that the base (small engine) is the highest seller. They are just trying to offer a more fuel effecient option. The people that buy those arent buying it for extreme performance.

Its also good to hear about the 50/50 weight distribution (for the V6). This means the V8 will be pretty close to that.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #97
MCPOAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
Dude, pipe down a little bit. This IS a Camaro forum.
i'm just saying that if you think about it you guys spent 25,000+ on a T4 camaro or you could get a T4 cobalt for 20,000- and the camaro does have a good weight distrabution but the thing is the cobalt is a lot smaller. and everyone that gets a T4 balt and the ricer people will brag about how they beat a camaro. AND I ABSOLUTLY HATE HEARING THIS CRAP. i love the camaro its just whats gonna happen
Old 03-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #98
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drive a 5th-gen 4 cylinder Camaro then bitch...

Closed Thread