Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-28-2009, 01:42 AM   #85
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
the Camaro and the Challenger are both sweet cars...
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #86
JHart
I haz camaro again :)

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
i'd like to see that boat of a challenger outrun a ss on top end (with both governers removed of course)

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #87
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
The 6-sp Challenger R/T only gets the 3.92:1 axle if you order the 20" plastic chrome wheels. It helps, but really only makes it more difficult to launch.

The Challenger and the Camaro are definitely the best two cars available today, the Challenger has the best retro looks in my opinion, and the Camaro is the best all around performance car.

The SS will outrun the SRT8 on the top-end, and we can easily remove the speed limiter. The Mopar guys don't have the benefit of tuning aids like HP-Tuners, etc. They only have handheld tuners right now.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #88
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
[QUOTE=GEN-IV;627848]
The Challenger and the Camaro are definitely the best two cars available today, the Challenger has the best retro looks in my opinion, and the Camaro is the best all around performance car.
QUOTE]

Yeah..... The Camaro is "retro-inspired"....... where the challenger is more or less a "clone" of the original.

They sure did a good job cloning the challenger

It makes me wonder how the Camaro would have looed if they had wanted to make it a retro clone.

I like it how it is, but cant' help wondering.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #89
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
What gearing does the GT500 come with?
The 2009 comes with 3:31 gearing, and the KR aftermarket package gets 3:73's.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #90
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
The power to weight ratio favors the Camaro SS over the SRT8 and much more so over the R/T. That's nice on paper but the driver has to be able to extract that performance from the car. The winner doesn't always have the most powerful or fastest car.

Leave all the magical Youtube or internet runs alone. Unless you drove the car and have the slip then don't post it. Evan Smith drove a '99 M6 Z28 to a 12.89 at Atco in great air. That doesn't mean every LS1 4th Gen can run 12's off the showroom floor on any given day. I've never understood why people post times from other vehicles as if it's proof of what theirs can run. If you can run it then go out and do it. If not keep your mouth shut. I've seen a lot of people get spoon fed some humble pie because of internet racing.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #91
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
The power to weight ratio favors the Camaro SS over the SRT8 and much more so over the R/T. That's nice on paper but the driver has to be able to extract that performance from the car. The winner doesn't always have the most powerful or fastest car.

Leave all the magical Youtube or internet runs alone. Unless you drove the car and have the slip then don't post it. Evan Smith drove a '99 M6 Z28 to a 12.89 at Atco in great air. That doesn't mean every LS1 4th Gen can run 12's off the showroom floor on any given day. I've never understood why people post times from other vehicles as if it's proof of what theirs can run. If you can run it then go out and do it. If not keep your mouth shut. I've seen a lot of people get spoon fed some humble pie because of internet racing.
Well said.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #92
HEMI DAVE

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2015 Hellcat Challenger,
Well KarFan just spoke alot of damn truth right there.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #93
Lee9710

Drives: 2013 Summit White ZL1
Send a message via Yahoo to Lee9710
Well.......I have driven it, raced it, and beaten it badly. Seems like most here are trying to make a case for bad driver can lose any race or whatever. This is true, but it is very hard to have a bad driver in an auto, sometimes impossible unless there are problems with the car. The R/T's I have raced have been driven by excellent drivers, some much better than me and the SS still smokes it every single time. In 0-60, the 1/4, all the above. Everyone on this thread that has tried to make this seem like a driver's race is full of it. All I hear is excuses. And before I hear all the Camaro is not the best car talk and Im just a fanboy let's consider some things. I LOVE the GT500 and the Saleen Mustang. The Challenger SRT-8 would have been in my garage if the SS wasn't produced, and I would have gotten the Trans Am version instead if offered. This is my first Camaro, I have had Trans Am's and GTO's my whole life. I know cars, especially fast ones, and the Challenger R/T has no damn chance against an SS Camaro just like the SS has no damn chance against the GT500. I dont care about the people that have ''timeslips'' or anything, the R/T winning isnt gonna happen. And no amount of crap shooting on this thread will change my mind, I know too much about these cars to let a couple guys come in here and try to justify buying the car they bought by exaggerating the truth.

Proud Owner of the baddest Camaro ever built
ZL1
Lee9710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #94
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Couldn't agree more.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #95
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
I think there's a large difference between talking about what the car is capable of vs. talking smack about what you can run.

I assume any comparison threads are the former. We want to talk about what the car is capable of in comparison with other cars with equal drivers.

Any real-world races are a bit different because not everyone is an equally skilled driver.

EDIT: Also, never say that another car can't beat your car just because it has less power. Drivers are an important part of the equation.
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #96
Sleestack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
I think there's a large difference between talking about what the car is capable of vs. talking smack about what you can run.

I assume any comparison threads are the former. We want to talk about what the car is capable of in comparison with other cars with equal drivers.

Any real-world races are a bit different because not everyone is an equally skilled driver.
Agree, a lot can be learned by seeing what a car can do on multiple runs (best run, worst run, avg. run) with disclosed mods and track conditions. This is different than a fanboi in Winnemucca Nevada during the heat of summer watching a Youtube car with unknown mods run at Atco, and assuming he can do the same........
Old 06-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #97
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
I do not know much about a R/T.....but the fact it weighs 4100+ (4140 I think) would effect its performance considering it does has less power than SRT8. So driver's aside, I to find it hard for a car with less power, but nearly the same weight to outrun a car with more power and lesser weight even if its just 100 or so pounds or less.

That is drivers aside.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #98
Sleestack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
I do not know much about a R/T.....but the fact it weighs 4100+ (4140 I think) would effect its performance considering it does has less power than SRT8. So driver's aside, I to find it hard for a car with less power, but nearly the same weight to outrun a car with more power and lesser weight even if its just 100 or so pounds or less.
That is drivers aside.
The Challenger R/T is misquoted in many places as weighing 4140, which is the weight of the SRT8. The R/T lacks the brembos, heavier duty suspension, cast intake, and beefier internals of the SRT8, so naturally it is lighter than 4140 lbs. Much closer to 4030lbs, depending on options. Still, on a good track, good driver, good conditions I would expect a stock run in the mid 13's from the 376 HP Challenger R/T.