Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 08-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
kamarokid

Drives: My dad had an optioned up z28
Value of a 1979 Z28?

Hi,

My dad had a 1979 Z28, with almost every option minus the CB radio. He bought it before the car actually were in the dealerships, so it had a lower serial number.

However, the car was lost in a car accident, some drunk kid slammed into him and totaled the car.

If he still had it, how much would it be worth?

Attached is a picture taken back in 1979 I believe....

It was Carmine exterior with red vinyl interior with the gold Z28 striping.
Attached Images

kamarokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
jmcbeth
THR 2SS/RS Supercharged

Drives: 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
Kamarokid,

I had the same car, less the t-top! Bought it new in Eldersburg, MD. Same color scheme, same wheels. Everything! Sold it in the mid-eighties to a woman who totalled it less than two weeks later. Brings back fond memories...
jmcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
My 76

Drives: 1976 Camaro
It really would be hard to say what it would be worth it would depend on the shape the car was in. The factory 4 speeds are bringing alot more money than the automatics. Its cool to see the picture of the car with all the other cars of that era though.
My 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
kamarokid

My dad sold it with only 35,000 miles on it.

His brother had one too!!!

Exact same car as my dad's but with camel exterior and I think tan interior.

Imagine seeing two brand new pre ordered 2010 camaro's in some one's drive way!

This is the same thing, but 30 years ago.

In the picture you can see them both, and an old bug in the background.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
My 76

Drives: 1976 Camaro
Thats sweet!!!!!!!
My 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
CamaroKid
Mr. Documentation

Drives: 1998 Mazda Protege SE
Very nice, was it an automatic or manual? I get my mom's (not the original owner) 78 Z28 down the road that I plan to restore from top to bottom, it's black with custom carmine cloth interior and a 4 speed.
CamaroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
kamarokid

Both cars in the picture were automatic. It makes me want to cry when I think that both cars are probably pancakes or soda cans

I'll see if I can scan in more pictures...
Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
LH17

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
My Dad also had a 1979 Z28 this color. He later added some Keystone wheels and body side molding. It was an automatic less T-Tops.
Attached Images

LH17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
The value of a 1979 Z-28 in today's market is very dependant on the condition and original nature of the car. Unfortunately the 1979 has not really hit collectible appreciation status as of yet and the current economy has set back the values on all collector cars.

As well, the 1970's was a very dark period in time for american muscle cars. The introduction of stricter emissions and fuel economy standards left the automakers helpless to deliver any levels of performance. Most V-8 cars were only in the 150-180hp range and pushing around some really heavy iron. For this fact noone really gives much status to these cars unless the are very low mileage survivors or restored to factory specs again. Also, if you have a car that was rare in nature with low production numbers this will also help to give some value today and definately in the future.

A car as you show would only be worth $2500-$10k with the higher value going to a mint factory original car showing very little to no wear and to be a highly optioned car. If you watch Barrett Jackson or Mecum it is astounding to see some of the cars from this era selling with virtually no miles on them for give away prices.

I myself also had a 1979 Z-28. I bought it from the original owner that got it as a graduation gift from his father in 1979. The car was originally the cream / tan color with tan interior. He had the entire car stripped and repainted solid black after a minor accident in the rear 1/4. He also replaced the original engine with a 383 stroker pushing about 450hp. When I purchased the car it had under 50k original miles on it and was in near mint condition. After about a year or two of ownership I sold it to a close friend of mine. Shortly after purchasing it, him and I were hit hard in the left side by a driver that fell asleep at 60mph. Unfortunately the car did not survive that wreck and a few years later my friend also lost his life in a motorcycle accident.

All in all, even if there is not a high monetary value to certain cars there can be a sentimental value that you cannot put a price tag on.

BTW - I love these old pictures showing cars of days past. It is so cool to see them as they existed in thier day.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:51 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
My Dad still has his!!

Bought it in 1979...Silver Z28 with the red/orange stripes. 350 V8, 3-speed auto, no A/C, black interior.

I just took it out for a drive last week, in fact...LOVE the exhaust note on it...a deep, in-your-chest kinda rumble. I don't know how much these cars are worth...'cause we don't plan to sell it.

Sadly...the only two pictures I know of from "back in the day" are still in his center storage compartment!!....but they're so faded, all that's left is a pale car beneath a bunch of gray-green...:(

These were taken last year after I spent a few hours cleaning him up:
Name:  Dad's Camaro2 copy.JPG
Views: 37171
Size:  200.1 KB

Name:  Dad's Camaro copy.JPG
Views: 49750
Size:  273.1 KB
Old 09-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
tht sux man, id hunt tht kid down!! lol
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #12
dennisshipman

Drives: 1979 Z-28 Camaro w/factory 4-speed
Smile 1970-1981 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
The value of a 1979 Z-28 in today's market is very dependant on the condition and original nature of the car. Unfortunately the 1979 has not really hit collectible appreciation status as of yet and the current economy has set back the values on all collector cars.

As well, the 1970's was a very dark period in time for american muscle cars. The introduction of stricter emissions and fuel economy standards left the automakers helpless to deliver any levels of performance. Most V-8 cars were only in the 150-180hp range and pushing around some really heavy iron. For this fact noone really gives much status to these cars unless the are very low mileage survivors or restored to factory specs again. Also, if you have a car that was rare in nature with low production numbers this will also help to give some value today and definately in the future.

A car as you show would only be worth $2500-$10k with the higher value going to a mint factory original car showing very little to no wear and to be a highly optioned car. If you watch Barrett Jackson or Mecum it is astounding to see some of the cars from this era selling with virtually no miles on them for give away prices.

I myself also had a 1979 Z-28. I bought it from the original owner that got it as a graduation gift from his father in 1979. The car was originally the cream / tan color with tan interior. He had the entire car stripped and repainted solid black after a minor accident in the rear 1/4. He also replaced the original engine with a 383 stroker pushing about 450hp. When I purchased the car it had under 50k original miles on it and was in near mint condition. After about a year or two of ownership I sold it to a close friend of mine. Shortly after purchasing it, him and I were hit hard in the left side by a driver that fell asleep at 60mph. Unfortunately the car did not survive that wreck and a few years later my friend also lost his life in a motorcycle accident.

All in all, even if there is not a high monetary value to certain cars there can be a sentimental value that you cannot put a price tag on.

BTW - I love these old pictures showing cars of days past. It is so cool to see them as they existed in thier day.
Sad story. I know I am a day late and a dollar short but I disagree with your valuation of 1979 Camaros. The market may be soft, but nicely optioned 1979 Z-28 Camaros with factory 4-speeds are commanding $15k and above. Matter of fact, Camaro magazine rated this year as the next best collectable "muscle car."

Mine is stock spec tech tuned, with a factory 4 speed. The only thing I plan on doing is re-painting, throwing in a hotter cam, and full exhaust: aftermarket equipment that can be easily removed when and if I sell it...
dennisshipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #13
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
My Dad still has his!!

Bought it in 1979...Silver Z28 with the red/orange stripes. 350 V8, 3-speed auto, no A/C, black interior.

I just took it out for a drive last week, in fact...LOVE the exhaust note on it...a deep, in-your-chest kinda rumble. I don't know how much these cars are worth...'cause we don't plan to sell it.

Sadly...the only two pictures I know of from "back in the day" are still in his center storage compartment!!....but they're so faded, all that's left is a pale car beneath a bunch of gray-green...:(

These were taken last year after I spent a few hours cleaning him up:
Attachment 53335

Attachment 53336
He's been in the trunk since '79??
Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
Blue Bandit
blue bandit

Drives: 2018 2SS
I had a brand new 1979 Z-28 Silver with Red&Orange stripes paid $7K for it back in 1979, I miss that car so much! I wish I could find a silver with blue stripes, But not many made hard to find :(
Blue Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote