Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Unhappy Launched the car and broke driveshaft!!

Hey everyone!!! Well yesterday i took my car to the 1/8 mile drag strip and well here it is... I just did alot of suspension work to my car everything except lowering the car because i have a very steep driveway at home. So yesterday i took my car to the track and i lowered my tire pressure to 28psi (street tires) pulled up to the line and did a burnout! once i stagged i launched the car a little too hard... had wheel hop and boom!!! (not loud but i knew i broke something) after the boom my shifter went off to the side a bit and was shaking like crazy!!! It all happen at the launch!! ( launched, wheel hop,boom, shifter went off to the side a bit and was shaking) When i tryed to put it into gear i felt like the driveshaft had broke because as i did that it felt like something kept going in circles (like the driveshaft) and it went clack, clack, clack, clack so i turned off the car!!!:(. So I called a tow truck to tow me home. The guys at the track gave me some bolts and nuts that broke off my car. i went under the car and noticed that the bolts that connect the driveshaft to the tailshaft of the transmission were the ones that broke off! That was the only thing i could see wrong because my car is too low and still havent had the chance to look under. When i put the car in gear it still rolled. I will be replacing the bolts i broke off, cleaning off the tires and the chunks of burned rubber. Then i will take it to the dealer and let them know that my car has been having a vibration coming from the shifter area and when i checked it it was missing two bolts that connect the tail and driveshafts so i replaced them so i could be able to take the car to the dealer so it can get checked out buy them!!! what do u guys think might be wrong besides that?? why is my shifter off to the side a bit? why does my car still roll in gear? is that a good story to tell dealership!?? of course i wasnt gonna tell them i was racing it!!! Any ideas or suggestions??:(: popcorn:

Posted in other places in the forum to see if i get anymore comments on this!! thanks!!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
the broken output shaft is a known issue and normally covered under warranty. With your modifications, I hope the dealer won't give u crap.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
IMO your gonna be on your own for the repair bill.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
HondaPowered

Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
^^ this... unless you have a b.a. dealership

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Assuming it is a broken output shaft...The car will continue to roll in gear (you push or pull the car) but the car won't move via the driveline anymore because the transmission is no longer connected to the rear end. You can tell them any story you want aside from the truth, it is not what will make the dealer deny your warranty. It is some of the mods you have done to the car, most especially if you have a tune! If you have a tune, you are better off not taking it to the dealer because if you do, and they WILL know you have an after-market tune and the dealer will tag your VIN in the system with a Voided powertrain warranty. At that point, no matter which dealer you go to for warranty claim on any part of the driveline, they will pull up your VIN and see you have voided powertrain warranty. A tune is a sure way to void the powertrain warranty. Having said that, the output shaft breakage is a very well known and documented issue with the LS3 5th Gen Camaros and maybe your dealer will take that into account and fix it under warranty without investigating your car too much. If you choose to go the dealer route, walk in there armed with documentation about the problem with the output shaft and you'll have a better chance. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
BAWLZ SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
The car will continue to roll in gear (you push or pull the car) but the car won't move via the driveline anymore because the transmission is no longer connected to the rear end. You can tell them any story you want aside from the truth, it is not what will make the dealer deny your warranty. It is some of the mods you have done to the car, most especially if you have a tune! If you have a tune, you are better off not taking it to the dealer because if you do, and they WILL know you have an after-market tune and the dealer will tag your VIN in the system with a Voided powertrain warranty. At that point, no matter which dealer you go to for warranty claim on any part of the driveline, they will pull up your VIN and see you have voided powertrain warranty. A tune is a sure way to void the powertrain warranty. Having said that, the output shaft breakage is a very well known and documented issue with the LS3 5th Gen Camaros and maybe your dealer will take that into account and fix it under warranty without investigating your car too much. If you choose to go the dealer route, walk in there armed with documentation about the problem with the output shaft and you'll have a better chance. Good luck.
My car is not tuned! All i have is an intake and exhaust and suspension work done. No tune as u never know if u might need ur warranty to jump in as in situations like this. Any links to the commen problem with the output shaft breaking being a common problem? All icve seen broken was two bolts that connect the rear of the trqny to the drive shaft!!! Not gone under the car yet for further inspection!!!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
Old 11-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Thats sucks! Whats your VIN #?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
How long were you in it while wheel hopping? You always come off the gas the moment you notice wheel hop.....
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS View Post
My car is not tuned! All i have is an intake and exhaust and suspension work done. No tune as u never know if u might need ur warranty to jump in as in situations like this. Any links to the commen problem with the output shaft breaking being a common problem? All icve seen broken was two bolts that connect the rear of the trqny to the drive shaft!!! Not gone under the car yet for further inspection!!!
let's hope it was just the bolts. Warranty should cover that. As far as the broken output shaft, do a search in this forum and you it will return a lot of info. Good luck man.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
No Tune.....
The dealer will fix it no problem.
ALOT of cars have broke this way if they use "Launch Control"...

I realize you did'nt,just saying!
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
BAWLZ SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
Assuming it is a broken output shaft...The car will continue to roll in gear (you push or pull the car) but the car won't move via the driveline anymore because the transmission is no longer connected to the rear end. You can tell them any story you want aside from the truth, it is not what will make the dealer deny your warranty. It is some of the mods you have done to the car, most especially if you have a tune! If you have a tune, you are better off not taking it to the dealer because if you do, and they WILL know you have an after-market tune and the dealer will tag your VIN in the system with a Voided powertrain warranty. At that point, no matter which dealer you go to for warranty claim on any part of the driveline, they will pull up your VIN and see you have voided powertrain warranty. A tune is a sure way to void the powertrain warranty. Having said that, the output shaft breakage is a very well known and documented issue with the LS3 5th Gen Camaros and maybe your dealer will take that into account and fix it under warranty without investigating your car too much. If you choose to go the dealer route, walk in there armed with documentation about the problem with the output shaft and you'll have a better chance. Good luck.
Hey guys i just went under the car yesterday and took a look at the car. The trans and driveshaft are not connected anymore. I broke 3 bolts and bent the other 3 still attached to the black rubber piece (also pretty ripped) that connects the tranny and the driveshaft. The shaft at the end of the tranny looks on with very minor damage as well as the driveshaft itself. The only thing that worries me is another piece of metal that i have no idea where it broke off of. And my shifter! Trans mount looks to be perfectly good!!! Also my shaft doesnt look like some of the broken ones i've seen here in pics from some of our other fellow members! But will GM also replace my trans? Im just worried that if my shaft didnt break now i will eventually break later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
Thats sucks! Whats your VIN #?
Yeah my car was built in early June of 09 and falls as one of the 1st 25,00 built

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
How long were you in it while wheel hopping? You always come off the gas the moment you notice wheel hop.....
I had wheel hop since launch for about 1-2 secs before boom. And yeah i got off it but it was too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67motorcat View Post
No Tune.....
The dealer will fix it no problem.
ALOT of cars have broke this way if they use "Launch Control"...

I realize you did'nt,just saying!
Yup no tune for the same reason that u never know when u might need it! Hooe they fix it.

Last edited by BAWLZ SS; 11-09-2011 at 01:15 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 11-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
Skip to 0:30... maybe it includes us too!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyAce7 View Post
Skip to 0:30... maybe it includes us too!

In terms of managing the loads on the drivetrain? Yeah!!

In fact, you're supposed to use launch control in such a fashion as to put full-faith in the car's computer...foot to the floor, dump the clutch - and let it do the rest...
Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Sounds like a ring gear in the rear end... this can cause a chain reaction and mess up drive shaft etc...