Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 06-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #1541
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Only if youmagree that it takes TWO slips to count as a 9 second pass....

Looks like you're a 10 second car again....
Well in that case.....congrats on running a 9.3 brother!! And welcome to the single slip 9 second club!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #1542
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Well that's awful impressive! Congratulations HufferSS!

Thanks....the Pfadt suspension along with the Pfadt drag coil overs have worked great right from the start. Once we have the converter sorted we should see 1.3x 60' times at least.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #1543
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Thanks....the Pfadt suspension along with the Pfadt drag coil overs have worked great right from the start. Once we have the converter sorted we should see 1.3x 60' times at least.
You better check your shorts after your first pass in that thing!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #1544
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I know this isn't the place for discussions but DAMN... 9.3 deserves a shout out...
Old 06-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #1545
kaler

Drives: 2011 Dodge 3500 dually Mega Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
I understand. Slicks and Skinnies give a car a very nice advantage. In addition, there's the issue of weight reduction. This issue starts with bolt on cars and works it way up to Forced induction.

But to have separate categories for street tires, drag radials, and slicks would be a lot of different categories. That would be 3 separate categories for bolt ons, 3 separate categories for internal mods, and 3 separate categories for forced induction.
Then there's the issue of weight reduction. I've seen cars show up at the track with just 1 seat (aftermarket driver's seat). That in addition to other weight saving mods. These cars have a significant advantage over full weight cars.There really should be separate categories for full weight cars (retains all interior stock seats, panels, electronic equipment, AC, etc).

So I'm not sure where to begin. We could end up with so many categories it gets confusing and hard to keep up with.

And to be honest, once you start seriously modding your car, you really should be running at least drag radials going down the strip. As your power level increases, the need for drag radials increases for safety concerns.

But I definitely see a need to separate street cars/daily driver cars from "purpose built race cars."
If a car is stickly a "race car" and not legally run on the street, it should be put in a separate category. We definitely shouldn't have street cars competing with trailered race cars on our 1/4 mile lists.
A true street radial (p zero) category would be cool.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #1546
camarovigoa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red A6
Quote:
We definitely shouldn't have street cars competing with trailered race cars on our 1/4 mile lists.
I trailer my car when I go to the drag strip but I drive it every day to work I know you cant drive with slicks and cant have open headers but what else makes a car not street legal
camarovigoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #1547
Aries240SS

Drives: 2011 1SS RS Camaro, 1995 LSX 240SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarovigoa View Post
I trailer my car when I go to the drag strip but I drive it every day to work I know you cant drive with slicks and cant have open headers but what else makes a car not street legal
Not street legal usually refers to cars with lexan or no inspection/registration abilities. A lot of people use the term when talking about cars that are purpose built and trailered in to the track rather than being street driven. Those people usually just can't afford a trailer to bring their own car to the track.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #1548
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Street cars are legal to drive on the street. They have all the required safety equipment to make the car street legal.

Can you put slicks on a street car for a day at the track? Sure. Can you open up th exhaust for a day at the track? Sure. But the car can quickly be put back to street legal condition.

A purpose built race car is not legal to drive on the street. You can't quickly change the tires and drive it legally on the street.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Street Car Rules

NMCAwest True Street
Class Description
True Street is a racing class for mildly modified to heavy modified high performance street vehicles that are street certified and able to drive over a 30-mile distance. All model years and engine types and power adders permitted. Class is designed for stock-chassis vehicles running true 10.5-inch wide tires. Vehicles must be registered, licensed, and insured. There will be trophies and awards for not only the “King of True Street” (quickest average), and runner up but also for the following: Closest averaged ET that is not quicker than the following- 9.00, 10.00, 11.00, 12.00, 13.00, 14.00, and 15.00. True Street racing will be conducted at a number of NMCAwest drag racing events to be specified. NMCAwest True Street does not have a points system. NMCAwest True Street is not eligible for contingency.
Qualifying Information, Ladder Type, & Tree
All Run, NMCAwest True Street Format, Pro Tree, Heads-Up.
CLASS RULES, TRUE STREET
VEHICLE PERMITTED
All types, makes, models, and years of vehicles permitted. Dragsters and roadsters prohibited.
BODY RULES:
OEM steel (fiberglass/composite if OEM equipped) body shell required. Aftermarket body kits are permitted. Only permitted lightweight components are hood, front valance, rear valance, front and rear bumpers, and rear trunk lid/hatch. Hood is required, may be made of lightweight material. Hood scoops permitted. Any rear wing permitted. OEM safety glass windows required & must be functional. Lexan prohibited.
POWER ADDERS & POWERTRAIN
All 4-cylinder, 6-cylinder, small block and big block engine types and multiple power adders are permitted. Any manual or automatic transmission is permitted. Any rear end is permitted. Exhaust system with mufflers are required.
CHASSIS & SUSPENSION
CHASSIS/FRAME:
Stock-type chassis, permitted. Stock firewall & stock front frame rails must be in stock location and unmodified. Starting at firewall rearward, floor and chassis may be replaced with aftermarket components. Full tube-type chassis vehicles prohibited.
FRONT SUSPENSION: Tubular front suspension components permitted. Coil over shocks/struts are permitted. Bolt-in front suspension retrofit kits (ex. Heidt’s, Fatman, etc) are permitted.
REAR SUSPENSION:
Coil-over shocks and springs permitted for both front and rear suspension. Shocks and spring may be re-located. Standard bolt-on replacement suspension and chassis components are permitted. Tubular bolt-in front K-members and A-arm kits are permitted. Back-half vehicles are permitted. Ladder bars and/or aftermarket 4-links are permitted. Wheelie bars are prohibited.
STREET EQUIPMENT
In order to compete, all vehicles and/or drivers are required the following:
1. Valid driver’s license
2. Valid vehicle registration
3. Valid license plate(s). Dealer/Temp plates prohibited. Paper license tag will be accepted on a new model year car with current registration paper work less than 60 days old from current event date.
4. Valid insurance “ID” card. Faxes and/or letters from insurance companies and/or brokers not acceptable.
5. Valid state inspection sticker (if required by state vehicle is registered).
6. D.O.T. Radials or D.O.T. Slicks on front and rear of vehicle.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #1549
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
Quote:
Whats your plan with the converter?
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #1550
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

New Best ET and MPH....... We went 9.31@154.81 at the LSX shoot out today! I am reasonably confident it was the fastest 5th gen (that is still actually a 5th Gen) at the event. The RPM White Brick would have given us a good run but unfortunately they broke both days...should be some good racing in our near future though.

Converter is still too tight but that's good...means there is more left in it and we shredded another belt so have something to sort out there as even being cogged, it shouldn't be going through a belt every 4 runs.

Clearly thanks go to Ron @ Vengeance Racing for building a kick ass car as well as Procharger, RPM Transmissions, Hendrix Engineering, Driveshaft Shop, ARH Headers and Pfadt Racing as all contributed to the build with some bad ass parts! We have more left in the car and expect to be seeing 8 second time slips very soon. Please list on the list as HufferSS/Vengeance.

Tires used on the pass: Hoosier 28x10.50x17" Rear Slicks...M&H skinnies rolling on Bogart wheels.
Performance Mods (if any): RHS 434, Mast LS7 Heads, Procharger F1-X, ARH 2" headers, RPM 4L80 Trans, DSS 9", 3.50 rear gears.
Category submitted for: Power Adders
R/T.......... .236
60'............. 1.542
330'........... 4.097
660'........... 6.122
660’ mph... 122.53
1000'.......... 7.852
1320'.......... 9.31
1320’ mph… 154.81
Name of the track: Atlanta Dragway
Date of pass: 06/03/2012
Weather conditions: (include Density Altitude, if known): DA is 2207, 80 degrees and sunny.

Name:  timeslip 9.31.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  99.9 KB
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Old 06-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #1551
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Quote:
Street cars are legal to drive on the street. They have all the required safety equipment to make the car street legal.

Can you put slicks on a street car for a day at the track? Sure. Can you open up th exhaust for a day at the track? Sure. But the car can quickly be put back to street legal condition.

A purpose built race car is not legal to drive on the street. You can't quickly change the tires and drive it legally on the street.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Street Car Rules

NMCAwest True Street
Class Description
True Street is a racing class for mildly modified to heavy modified high performance street vehicles that are street certified and able to drive over a 30-mile distance. All model years and engine types and power adders permitted. Class is designed for stock-chassis vehicles running true 10.5-inch wide tires. Vehicles must be registered, licensed, and insured. There will be trophies and awards for not only the “King of True Street” (quickest average), and runner up but also for the following: Closest averaged ET that is not quicker than the following- 9.00, 10.00, 11.00, 12.00, 13.00, 14.00, and 15.00. True Street racing will be conducted at a number of NMCAwest drag racing events to be specified. NMCAwest True Street does not have a points system. NMCAwest True Street is not eligible for contingency.
Qualifying Information, Ladder Type, & Tree
All Run, NMCAwest True Street Format, Pro Tree, Heads-Up.
CLASS RULES, TRUE STREET
VEHICLE PERMITTED
All types, makes, models, and years of vehicles permitted. Dragsters and roadsters prohibited.
BODY RULES:
OEM steel (fiberglass/composite if OEM equipped) body shell required. Aftermarket body kits are permitted. Only permitted lightweight components are hood, front valance, rear valance, front and rear bumpers, and rear trunk lid/hatch. Hood is required, may be made of lightweight material. Hood scoops permitted. Any rear wing permitted. OEM safety glass windows required & must be functional. Lexan prohibited.
POWER ADDERS & POWERTRAIN
All 4-cylinder, 6-cylinder, small block and big block engine types and multiple power adders are permitted. Any manual or automatic transmission is permitted. Any rear end is permitted. Exhaust system with mufflers are required.
CHASSIS & SUSPENSION
CHASSIS/FRAME:
Stock-type chassis, permitted. Stock firewall & stock front frame rails must be in stock location and unmodified. Starting at firewall rearward, floor and chassis may be replaced with aftermarket components. Full tube-type chassis vehicles prohibited.
FRONT SUSPENSION: Tubular front suspension components permitted. Coil over shocks/struts are permitted. Bolt-in front suspension retrofit kits (ex. Heidt’s, Fatman, etc) are permitted.
REAR SUSPENSION:
Coil-over shocks and springs permitted for both front and rear suspension. Shocks and spring may be re-located. Standard bolt-on replacement suspension and chassis components are permitted. Tubular bolt-in front K-members and A-arm kits are permitted. Back-half vehicles are permitted. Ladder bars and/or aftermarket 4-links are permitted. Wheelie bars are prohibited.
STREET EQUIPMENT
In order to compete, all vehicles and/or drivers are required the following:
1. Valid driver’s license
2. Valid vehicle registration
3. Valid license plate(s). Dealer/Temp plates prohibited. Paper license tag will be accepted on a new model year car with current registration paper work less than 60 days old from current event date.
4. Valid insurance “ID” card. Faxes and/or letters from insurance companies and/or brokers not acceptable.
5. Valid state inspection sticker (if required by state vehicle is registered).
6. D.O.T. Radials or D.O.T. Slicks on front and rear of vehicle.
Please let's not let a small vocal minority corrupt the Fast lists with nonsense like this. When you have to read for 20 minutes to figure out which category your car fits into then something is wrong. I don't know of a single car on the list that would be a race only car with maybe the exception being the Black Pig and the Farks car but even those I am not so sure.

KISS principle seems to apply here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Whats your plan with the converter?
Send it back to Coan and have them loosen it up for us a little bit.

We have enough data logs now that they should be able to get it perfect. When we had it built before we told them we were going with an F2 but the F1-X makes less power so I think that's why it's too tight.
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Old 06-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #1552
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange 2SS/ RS YSI/4l80
DUDE! Thats fast.
tkrupinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #1553
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrupinski View Post
DUDE! Thats fast.

Lol..it's getting there....but as the legendary Ricky Bobby always said...if you ain't first then you're last.
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Old 06-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #1554
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
get that thing to the 8's im pullin for u