Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
And the Camaro is to be better than those cars. Things are looking good
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
And the Camaro is to be better than those cars. Things are looking good
I'm now really looking forward to that IRS setup...
Old 11-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #17
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
everyone stop worrying...irs is gunna be just fine on the new camaro.

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #18
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
you know, supposedly Jeremy Clarkson drives a third gen...or at least he has one. Maybe he won't be too tough
are you referring to Clarkson's drive from Florida to Alabama for the show? Yes he said he loved the third gen and that at that moment he would rather be driving the RS than an Enzo. Great episode btw!

I can pretty much already tell you how the Top Gear episode for the 5th gen will go:
First they'll say how this is a legendary car and talk about all of its history.
Then they'll get in and complain about all of the cheap plastics used in the interior..."shame on the Americans". Then they'll start it up and drive it while commenting that it can't corner like a European car worth three times as much money. Then Clarkson will have some a sentimental moment, resulting in the conclusion that desite being a pompous Brit, he really wishes he were an American (of course this wouldn't be said explicitly). Finally, they'll end up concluding that you just can't have this much fun in any European car for that kind of money.

That's the way all of their American car reviews go on top gear, which ever class.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #19
Mr. Wyndham

Agree...nix the plastics on the insides...those days are gone. But still, well done, you'd better copyright that, so Top Gear has to pay you when it goes exactly like that
Old 11-15-2007, 04:03 AM   #20
Power Junkie
GM give me my fix please!

Drives: 95 Toyota GT4
Location: England.. aka the EU's whipping boy!!! (but not for much longer, hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
are you referring to Clarkson's drive from Florida to Alabama for the show? Yes he said he loved the third gen and that at that moment he would rather be driving the RS than an Enzo. Great episode btw!

I can pretty much already tell you how the Top Gear episode for the 5th gen will go:
First they'll say how this is a legendary car and talk about all of its history.
Then they'll get in and complain about all of the cheap plastics used in the interior..."shame on the Americans". Then they'll start it up and drive it while commenting that it can't corner like a European car worth three times as much money. Then Clarkson will have some a sentimental moment, resulting in the conclusion that desite being a pompous Brit, he really wishes he were an American (of course this wouldn't be said explicitly). Finally, they'll end up concluding that you just can't have this much fun in any European car for that kind of money.

That's the way all of their American car reviews go on top gear, which ever class.
Now, now let's not get personal about this.... plus cars like the Viper, Ford GT (which Clarkson bought) and the Corvette Z06 they actually quite liked.
Hammond bought a Dodge Charger and now owns a Mustang.
And they do rag on Euro cars too... i don't in anyway believe that they are the be all and end all of motor journalism, but i do think they are generally fair in their judgement.

But getting back to the subject... IRS is definitely the way to go!!!
Power Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:32 AM   #21
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
^Also Hammond love how the new Challenger looks and even made comment about how he loved american muscle cars. Methinks he'll drive the Challenger and then love the Camaro even more when it whips the Challenger...
Old 11-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #22
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Anyone else notice how different Hammond looks in thew new season (after his big crash?). His hair is weird punk-rock-with-blonde-streaks... I think he got pretty messed up in that crash and is trying to hide it...

Just a though while I was watching him race the Euro-Fighter in the Veyron.

~LSx
Old 11-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #23
$Ē's 5th Gen

Drives: SUV & Chaparral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Junkie View Post
and the Corvette Z06 they actually quite liked.

IRS is definitely the way to go!!!
I remember Clarkson talking smack about the ZO6. It just did really well on the road course and he acted all surprised. He will bash the camaro, I will then fly over there and show him how to drive it

As far as IRS, i am glad it will be used, but it IS coming apart in the Cadillacs and GTO's after a few hard launches. I myself never side step the cluth of my own cars so I dont see it being a problem for me.

Last edited by $Ē's 5th Gen; 11-20-2007 at 03:17 PM.
$Ē's 5th Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #24
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by $Ē's 5th Gen View Post
I remember Clarkson talking smack about the ZO6. It just did really well on the road course and acted all surprised. He will bash the camaro, I will then fly over there and show him how to drive it

As far as IRS, i am glas it will be used, but it IS coming apart in the Cadillacs and GTO's after a few hard launches. I myself never side step the cluth of my own cars so I dont see it being a problem for me.
We can always hope that this IRS will be different/stronger, Zeta and all....
Old 11-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #25
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
We can always hope that this IRS will be different/stronger, Zeta and all....
Only on a car forum would someone be hoping for a stronger IRS.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #26
gladiatoro

Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
IRS is one of the MAIN reasons I am buying a new Camaro of course 400 + HP doesn't hurt either or it's AWESOME LOOKS , the new Mustang was soposto get it , they didn't big mistake for Ford , not even the Shelby gt 500 has it a 50.000 dollar car what a joke lol... not to mention the Shelby is as heavy as a TANK due to a IRON BLOCK I think it's around 4000 pounds, talking from experience having a solid rear axle is old school and dangerous. My 1995 Pontiac Trans Am nearly killed me as I was going into a LONG turn doing roughly 150 km/hr while I was racing a new Nissan 350 Z car I hit a bump on the road and I got what is called wheel hop . needless to say it scared the s$$t out of me as my car hopped over a few inches on the road causing me to skid sideways for about 50 feet , thank god for ABS... even with my 275/40/r17 I was skidding uncontrollably. IRS is what porsche , lamborghini , ferarri , etc.. have used for years and it is the only way to go for a true sports car , the handling will be exellent I'm shure , I feel sorry for those poor Mustangs once the Camaros are on the street , we will have more Hp and much better handling gladiatoro (=
ps. does anyone know if the new Challenger will have IRS ???
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #27
Good53X

Drives: 1988Nissan Pulsar (meh,beater)
I think that's the biggest thing people are failing to realize in their comparisons. There have been few, if any, final decisions made as to the end mechanical result of what the Camaro will be. Wheelbase maybe, suspension *type*, sure, but what the spring rates are, or what engine, trans, electronic assists sytems... no way. That all gets to be finalized *later*, which means that potentially EVERY new GM discover could be put into the Camaro at last minute.

It's exciting, methinks
Good53X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham

I would hope that most of those things have been decided on by now. Sure, they can change between now, and October '08; I'll give you that.

But I'd hope that they have preliminary choices by now. Just for the sake of having them to reference to as they design the plant, and such.