Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #43
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
^So then we're looking at an identical performance numbers to the cts-v coupe. So far the best I've seen for it was from Edmunds: 0-60 at 4.2s, and the quarter at 12.2 seconds.

If the ZL1 could somehow miraculously achieve the time laps at 4 seconds or 3.9 seconds and a 12 second quarter, then I'd say that it would accomplish a lot.
I'd say it's too soon to try and lock in any performance estimates. The ZL1 seems to have a few tricks up its sleeve, yet....The purpose of my comments were to try and reign in a sky-high expectation. I hate to see people disappointed when there's no reason to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
Yeah, it takes about 530rwhp in an SS to run low to mid 11's
There are lots of variables to consider...which is what makes this conversation so fun, imo...
Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #44
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
^I would expect that the zl1's performance would be close to the cts-v given the same powertrain and similar chassis layout. I am, however, expecting an improvement in the cts-v's published numbers from the ZL1. I don't think that's asking a lot of it. The cts-v is a great performer so nothing will be taken away from it.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #45
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Mid 3's is Z06 territory and there's no way they're matching that. I agree with you, DG.

I'm predicting an advertised 3.8. Tested 3.9 or 4 flat depending on the magazine...though the PTM system may let them reach a 3.8...who knows...

The faster you get...the more has to be done to change those numbers. For example...if I took my Cobalt which gets stock...let's say a 12 second 0-60 (so upsetting )...and put on aluminum wheels and Eagle F1s (I don't even think they make'em that small...but let's assume. ) I'll bet I can drop 1.5-2 seconds off that time...

If you did the same to an SS, you'll be REAL lucky to drop .4 seconds, imo...

The numbers aren't accurate, but the concept is what I'm trying to explain...

a couple hundred pounds less and a few more hp isn't enough to drop half a second off a CTS-V with an otherwise (for the purposes of this post) identical powertrain...
You drive a Cobalt to? lol! I call it the "lightning bolt" lmao! I have a 2007 Cobalt LS 5-speed Great for bumpin around town and sips on gas
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #46
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
^I would expect that the zl1's performance would be close to the cts-v given the same powertrain and similar chassis layout. I am, however, expecting an improvement in the cts-v's published numbers from the ZL1. I don't think that's asking a lot of it. The cts-v is a great performer so nothing will be taken away from it.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
You drive a Cobalt to? lol! I call it the "lightning bolt" lmao! I have a 2007 Cobalt LS 5-speed Great for bumpin around town and sips on gas
Yeah...a friend of mine when I first got it called it the "b*tch car"...I love it for what it is...my little crank windowed, manual locked, no ABS ~35mpg b*tch car.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #47
sed34

Drives: a
with magnetic ride control being added...would it be possible to lower it and not mess it up? would touring and sport still work? does it lower itself like Bugatti anyways? i don't know much about magnetic ride controls.
sed34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #48
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Agreed.

Yeah...a friend of mine when I first got it called it the "b*tch car"...I love it for what it is...my little crank windowed, manual locked, no ABS ~35mpg b*tch car.
Yes exactly! Crank the windows, no power locks, I don't even have power side view mirrors, I have to adjust them with that little nubby stick thingy on each door! I love it lmao! Simple, and it works. Great daily driver, gets you were you gotta go
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #49
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by sed34 View Post
with magnetic ride control being added...would it be possible to lower it and not mess it up? would touring and sport still work? does it lower itself like Bugatti anyways? i don't know much about magnetic ride controls.
Lowering is an issue...but possible. If done properly, the setting should still work fine.

No, it won't lower the itself like the $1.7 million Veyron.

MagRide basically adjusts the thickness of the fluid inside the dampers to stiffen/soften the suspension and react to the road in this way. The tour/sport modes are different settings. In Tour, the system works to soften the ride. And in Sport the system stiffens the ride and amplifies the car's performance...the suspension is always at work, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Yes exactly! Crank the windows, no power locks, I don't even have power side view mirrors, I have to adjust them with that little nubby stick thingy on each door! I love it lmao! Simple, and it works. Great daily driver, gets you were you gotta go
Yup!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #50
lbls1

Slightly off topic....I was planning on replacing my dd cavalier with a cobalt.........before I found out about the ZL1. Now it looks like I'll have to stretch the soup with my current dd until I can fund the ZL1. I don't want to blow my opportunity in getting the zl1 by spending to replace my worn out dd (which economically is where my money really needs to go).

Old 04-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #51
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS Camaro
The Veyron scares me when it lowers itself.
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #52
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
The Veyron scares me when it lowers itself.
You regret buying it?
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #53
sed34

Drives: a
Quote:
Lowering is an issue...but possible. If done properly, the setting should still work fine.

No, it won't lower the itself like the $1.7 million Veyron.

MagRide basically adjusts the thickness of the fluid inside the dampers to stiffen/soften the suspension and react to the road in this way. The tour/sport modes are different settings. In Tour, the system works to soften the ride. And in Sport the system stiffens the ride and amplifies the car's performance...the suspension is always at work, though.
thanks for the clarification.
sed34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #54
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Slightly off topic....I was planning on replacing my dd cavalier with a cobalt.........before I found out about the ZL1. Now it looks like I'll have to stretch the soup with my current dd until I can fund the ZL1. I don't want to blow my opportunity in getting the zl1 by spending to replace my worn out dd (which economically is where my money really needs to go).
I hear ya, I had the same problem. I needed a car so I had no choice. I spent 8 grand on my cobalt with 44k miles, 2007, perfect working condition. Depends how much longer your current daily can last. If you think it'll make it, keep it. If not, then do what you gotta do.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #55
lbls1

^Its a tough call. The engine and tranny possibly could (although they are at 147k and climbing....that's GM power for ya!). My dd's problem is its body....it has bad rusting; and because its an old cavalier it isn't worth the money to put into bodywork. It really needed to go in '08 but my roving eye picked up a truck instead.

Cobalts aren't that cheap either (as you already know) so its gonna be touch and go. I may have to replace my dd if I wait though.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #56
xlroadster
Support Bill A09426!

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
The ZL1 and 'Vette target two different niches.

For a more linear comparison, you have your base Corvette, Z06, and ZR1. You have your Camaro V6, SS, and ZL1.

I don't think the bosses @ GM would have their No. 2 car overtake their No. 1 car (halo car).