Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #43
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Bomb View Post
I thought manual has it with the 1st to 4th thing?
That's not quite the same thing. What you're referring to is Skip-Shift. The Automatic car's AFM actually shuts down fuel, spark, and valvetrain of four cylinders in the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monetcat View Post
but I have always said a true sports car/muscle car is always a manual. Just so much more fun to shift up and down.
So...is it a "true" sports car is a stick, or your sports car is always a stick?

I like'em both, and nobody can really rag on one or the other seriously. After all, sticks have been around forever -- and automatics...well, the CTS-V set that Nurburgring record with an auto...'nuff said.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #44
Chris-10

Drives: 2ss/rs vr 6m
Precision Pedders of Florida
(Authorised Dealer)
11505 Pyramid Drive
Odessa, FL 33556
http://pm-fl.com/catalog/

Ph: (727) 233-1195
bob@pm-fl.com they do tunes alao
Old 10-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #45
Mike's LazruSS

Drives: 2SS/RS, Black, CGM, Black int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttss View Post
I have an automatic SS now. Mine was not invisible or transparent. I could feel it as well as hear it. The AFM was always switching off cylinders at low speeds and highway cruising (68-72 mph). Anytime the load on the engine changed, cylinders activate and deactivate (hills, traffic flow etc). At first I thought it was the trans shifting back and forth between gears (5th and 6th).
It is louder now that I have a Magnaflow exhaust. I relpaced the exhaust because the sound of the stock does not match the profile of the car IMHO.
I usually tap shift in manual mode to avoid it. I just completed a 1000 mile trip and gas mileage was actaully better in M6 than in D mode. So why do you even need it?
I have an automatic I drive manually because of the noise and jfeel. Not to mention I gave up 23hp. The tap shift is ok most of the time but if you need to shift while cornering you have to have the correct hand/steering wheel orientation. It would have been nice to have the ratchet shifter and the tap shift in the console like most sports cars.

One way to overcome the sound is turn up the stereo LOL! In the customer survey from GM I ripped on this one and only point about the car. I very much wish I had bought the manual shift.

Check this thread called "Does Your AFM Make You Sick?"

Completely agree. It must be that some individual cars are "too sensitive" with AFM, and it seems that some exhaust systems make it worse. I'm kind of waiting to see if GM announces a re-flash or something, but the dealer has also offered to replace the exhaust system, and I'm just about ready to take him up on it.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #46
Oneday

Drives: 2010 2LT RS / Chrysler 300c
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnhew View Post
juz because u dont know how to drive a manual shudnt make u buy an automatic .. a car like this shud def be manual..lol
hmmmm...Ferrari.....lambo....and others?
Oneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #47
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneday View Post
hmmmm...Ferrari.....lambo....and others?

I'd also like to add the obvious: you can put the automatic in manual mode. But I'm sure since you aren't doing something with your left leg, it isn't a "real" muscle car, right?
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #48
eddie SS
ALWAYS A MARINE......!!!

Drives: 2010 camaro IOM/2SS/RS/sunroof
Send a message via AIM to eddie SS
I am loving every minute of my L99. I don't notice when the AFM activates. It's not a problem at all. But I have the stock exhaust until my NOWEEDS diverters arrive. Then I'll see if anything changes.

Mods so far: SOLO Performance MACH XL cat-back exhaust, NOWEEDS exhaust diverters, Tinted windows, gas cap decal, bow tie black outs, Cold Air Inc CAI, Eibach Pro kit lowering springs

Mods I have but not installed yet: rear trunk black out, Diablosport Trinity

Future Mods: ARH long tube w/ high flow cats or Dynatech's SuperMaXX long tube w/ high flow cats, Maggie S/C
eddie SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #49
ftshark

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS CGM
I can defiantly hear and feel it in mine. When I'm cursing at speeds slower than 45mph, it sounds like the car is in the wrong gear (low bassy sound). If I hold the shifter I can feel it vibrate at a much lower frequency. I never had a car with AFM so I suspected this was the issue.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #50
gjordon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS\RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie SS View Post
I am loving every minute of my L99. I don't notice when the AFM activates. It's not a problem at all. But I have the stock exhaust until my NOWEEDS diverters arrive. Then I'll see if anything changes.
You'll tell the difference with once you get the diverters on but you'll probably opt to tune the AFM out as I am pretty sure your warranty will be out the window with the diverters alone.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #51
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordon View Post
You'll tell the difference with once you get the diverters on but you'll probably opt to tune the AFM out as I am pretty sure your warranty will be out the window with the diverters alone.

Why would the diverters kill the warranty? They are an exhaust mod!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #52
gjordon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS\RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post

Why would the diverters kill the warranty? They are an exhaust mod!
So you are saying that no exhaust mod will kill a warranty? If the diverters are BEFORE the cats, you've modified the emissions when the diverters are open and I would think it *could* pose an issue. I the diverters are after the cats, you might be ok, but I wouldn't count on it.
Basically if it's not OEM, GM *could* use anything they wish to *try* and use it against you.
Either way, hope it works out for you..
Old 10-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #53
ElAntonius

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6
I notice when AFM kicks on and off...usually a slight shudder and a wierd rumble in the exhaust for a second or two.

It's not really annoying, doesn't interfere with performance at all (IIRC, the cylinders aren't completely 'off'), and beyond the sound when it engages/disengages doesn't really affect the sound at all.

It's a quiet car all around anyway...the only time you really hear it is when you get on it.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #54
chapinville

Drives: 2SS/RS
I had my AFM tuned out. Best thing I have done for my Camaro. I have an after market exhaust and the kicking in and out was killing me. I swear it also seems more responsive to small throttle changes. It might have been only a .05 sec hesitatiion, but I could feel it. Now it acts like a gas pedal attached directly to a carb. I cant say it enough how much better it is with AFM tuned out.

1100, Preliminary order accepted (3.23.09)
2000, Accepted by GM (5.21.09)
2500, Preferenced (5.26.09)
3000, Accepted by production control (5.27.09)
3100, Available to sequence (6.16.09)
3300, Scheduled for production (6.16.09)
3400, Broadcast (6.20.09)
3800, Produced (6.30.09)
4000, Available to ship (7.1.09)
4B00, Bayed (7.2.09)
4200, Shipped (7.24.09)
5000, Delivered to the dealer(8.3.09)
6000, Delivered to the customer(8.5.09)
chapinville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #55
ftshark

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAntonius View Post
I notice when AFM kicks on and off...usually a slight shudder and a wierd rumble in the exhaust for a second or two.
Same here, anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapinville View Post
I had my AFM tuned out.
Does this void the warranty? What sort of gas mileage are people getting after tuning the AFM out?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #56
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
My understanding is bolt ons don't mean you void your warranty automatically unless they can prove the bolt on caused the issue. -- They won't warranty the bolt-on of course but they should still warranty the rest. There was a very long, very informative thread about this:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27807
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote