Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
tony1

Drives: 2SS/RS Vortech/L99
L99 Headers

Iam going to get the SLP Longtubes with High Flo-Cats,CAI and Tune. After talking to my local speed shop out hear who has done many 2010 Camaros these mods are getting around 50whp over baseline and they have been running very low 12's and even a high 11 which is fine for me and about as far as I really need to be ( this car is already fast enough to get me in trouble). With the Auto Iam told I'll also have to turn off the AFM (DOD-switching to 4 cyls mode) because it won't sound too good in tis mode with exhaust mods.. and I need to hear the V8 rumble but not too loud .. only when I get on it. My question to you all is does anyone know if these mods will pass Emissions in Chicago?? .. all they do out here is hook up to the cars's reader and check it that way.. The speed shop told me they haven't heard of any issues with this but in my opinion the car is a 2010 and none have really been tested yet in Illinois that I know of. Does anyone out there know for sure??

Last edited by tony1; 01-23-2010 at 09:37 AM.
tony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1 View Post
Iam going to get the SLP Longtubes with High Flo-Cats,CAI and Tune. After talking to my local speed shop out hear who has done many 2010 Camaros these mods are getting around 50+whp over baseline and they have been running very low 12's and even a few high 11's which is fine for me and about as far as I really need to be ( this car is already fast enough to get me in trouble). With the Auto Iam told I'll also have to turn off the AFM (DOD-switching to 4 cyls mode) because it won't sound too good in tis mode with exhaust mods.. and I need to hear the V8 rumble but not too loud .. only when I get on it. My question to you all is does anyone know if these mods will not pass Emissions in Chicago?? .. all they do out here is hook up to the cars's reader and check it that way.. The speed shop told me they haven't heard of any issues with this but in my opinion the car is a 2010 and none have really been tested yet in Illinois that I know of. Does anyone out there know for sure??

CAI, LT Headers, High Flow cats, and a tune will get you around 30-40 rwhp (on average). But you could easily see 40+ ft lbs of torque (which you can really feel).
So far the fastest L99's in this forum with that setup are running low to mid 12s. It's possible someone might pull a 11.9 with headers, intake, and tune, but the Gods would have to be helping (cold air, favorable wind, - 1000+ ft. DA ,etc). Most L99's will need a converter and drag radial + LT, CAI and a tune to get into the 11s.

Here's the fastest times from this forum for L99's with similar mods.

2. GMRULZ - 12.22 @ 113.29 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6), (DA -648 ft.)
3. Wacker - 12.49 @ 111.57 mph, (LT, Exhaust, Tune, (L99, A6)
4. SGOS252382 - 12.55 @ 111.62 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Tune), (L99 A6)
5. SRT10KLR - 12.59 kph @ ?, (Mid Length Headers, Exhaust, CAI, DR's Tune), (L99, A6)
7. Darin Morgan - 12.66 @ 110.88 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Ported TB, Tune), (L99, A6)
8. Rick@Liverois - 12.68 @ 109.72 mph, (Exhaust, CAI, Pully, Tune), (L99, A6)
10. Rodimus Prime - 12.73 @ 110 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6)
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
If you switch to long tubes and high flow cats you can forget about passing emissions.

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Is that so in Illinois? You can do whatever you like to your exhaust here in Florida!

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
there's no emission control crap anywhere in Illionois. you're fine to do whatever you want.

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
tony1

not true ... here's from the Illinois site:
About the Test: Understanding the Illinois Vehicle Emissions Test

What Vehicle Emissions Tests are Performed in Illinois?

Two different types of tests are used in Illinois.
  • An OBD test (On Board Diagnostics) is used for most 1996 and newer model year passenger cars and light duty trucks, including vans and sport utility vehicles.
  • A single-speed idle exhaust test and gas cap pressure test is used for gasoline-powered heavy duty trucks and certain passenger cars and light duty vehicles that were certified by the federal government to be manufactured without OBD systems.
How is the OBD test performed?

The OBD test consists of connecting a scan tool to a vehicle's on-board computer to determine the OBD system status (readiness checks), to determine whether the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is commanded to be illuminated, and to retrieve any stored diagnostic trouble codes.
Vehicles will pass the OBD test if the OBD system is working, all required emissions system readiness checks have been completed, and the MIL is not commanded to be illuminated.
Vehicles will fail the OBD test if the MIL is commanded to be illuminated and diagnostic codes are present. Vehicles will also fail if the OBD system is inoperable or if the OBD connector is missing, damaged, or inaccessible.
Check the “Understanding On-Board Diagnostics (OBD)” frequently asked questions page for further information.
How are the Idle Exhaust and Gas Cap Tests Performed?

Idle Exhaust Test

The idle exhaust test uses a tailpipe probe and emissions analyzer to measure the level of ozone-forming exhaust pollutants (carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrocarbon (HC)) in the vehicle's exhaust at idle speed.
If the levels of both of these pollutants are below applicable standards, the vehicle will pass the idle exhaust test. If the levels of one or both pollutants is above the applicable standard, the vehicle will receive a second-chance test following a period of high-idle preconditioning. If the level of either pollutant is still above the applicable idle test standards when re-tested, the vehicle will fail the idle test.
Gas Cap Test

The gas cap test is a functional check of the gas cap's seal. This test determines whether excessive levels of evaporative emissions (gasoline fumes) can escape from a vehicle's gas tank into the atmosphere. The gas cap is removed from the vehicle's fuel tank filler neck and attached to the testing unit which then applies pressure to the gas cap to check for leaks. If the gas cap cannot maintain the prescribed pressure, the vehicle will fail the gas cap test.
Check the “Understanding Idle Tests and Gas Cap Tests” frequently asked questions page for further information.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRS View Post
there's no emission control crap anywhere in Illionois. you're fine to do whatever you want.
So much for no emissions control.

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
richey307

Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs
are you keeping the stock mufflers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1 View Post
Iam going to get the SLP Longtubes with High Flo-Cats,CAI and Tune. After talking to my local speed shop out hear who has done many 2010 Camaros these mods are getting around 50whp over baseline and they have been running very low 12's and even a high 11 which is fine for me and about as far as I really need to be ( this car is already fast enough to get me in trouble). With the Auto Iam told I'll also have to turn off the AFM (DOD-switching to 4 cyls mode) because it won't sound too good in tis mode with exhaust mods.. and I need to hear the V8 rumble but not too loud .. only when I get on it. My question to you all is does anyone know if these mods will pass Emissions in Chicago?? .. all they do out here is hook up to the cars's reader and check it that way.. The speed shop told me they haven't heard of any issues with this but in my opinion the car is a 2010 and none have really been tested yet in Illinois that I know of. Does anyone out there know for sure??
richey307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
tony1

yes.. Iam keeping stock mufflers.. the Headers come with Hiflo Cats and connections for the O2 sencors. in Illinois they have a site that only test the on-board computer .. So if I don't throw a code I should be ok .. That cats are right after the long tube headers so I'll bet they will heat up pretty quick and not trip any codes.. Does anyone have the SLP Headers and did they throw a code??? I see http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58363 has 100 miles so far with no tune and has not thrown a code....
Old 01-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
it's not enforced then. i live right on the border and have lots of friends that live in Illinois and not 1 has ever had to get thire vehicle inspected.

matter of fact, i have a co-worker that lives in the west Chicago burbs. he has a 2001 T/A built and tuned LS1 with Kooks long tubes, NO CATS and Corsa.

i also work with a guy that has his and her Firehawks built w/ NO CATS that lives a little north of Chicago.

niether have EVER had to have them ispected.

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote