Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
themileman17

Drives: Ford Taurus
Two Questions about the Camaro

I don't really post on this site much although I am reading some of the posts almost daily to gather as much information as possible and I was just wondering two things. First off is there really going to be a huge difference between manual and automatic? Some of my friends are saying to definitely get a manual while some of my family is saying to definitely get an automatic. This would be my first manual car but I would be learning how to drive manual before I get this car if it was to be the manual option. Also another thing in which I was wondering was if there are going to be any aftermarket parts in order to increase the horsepower of this car and just make it faster than it already is? I don't want to make it sound like I am saying the Camaro is not fast because by God it definitely is. I was just simply asking because I am unsure about you guys but there is no real replacement for more speed and horsepower under the hood. Thanks in advance guys and gals.
themileman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Nope, and Hell yeah!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Well, to your first question there is a big difference between a manual and an automatic - one you have to shift on the time the other you don't. But if you mean performance wise, then there likely won't be much of a difference. I would go with your gut on what you buy. Don't listen to others because they don't know your complete situation. And even with the auto you will have the paddle shifters that will help you feel like it is a manual if you want.

On your second question, yes. GMPP already has a nice lineup of accessories that should add some power to the car. http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/se...o_sitelet.html Once the car is out, there should be lots of other aftermarket options to add power too.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
It really comes down also to where you live. I mean if you do alot of city driving in stop and go traffic the stick is going to get old. If you do not have alot of traffic the stick will be a blast.

Also the auto comes with auto start. Me living in the deep south will be using that feature alot in summer with my black leather interior.

Stuff to think about.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
I live in Dallas............it is an automatic for me. I have done enough shifting over the years. If you want to learn to drive a stick go for it. Myself, bad knees and city driving equals an auto for me.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
Baughman

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Manual for me but it all about preference my man. Good luck on your choice
Baughman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
themileman17

Drives: Ford Taurus
It definitely seems like an automatic appears like the way to go.. With the paddle shifters does that mean that it is going to have certain aspects of the manual as well or nah? Also sorry for all the questions but what do you actually think the top speed is going to be in the 2SS because I have been hearing that it is going to be somewhere near 165 is that correct? If so holy cow that is going to be great :-D
themileman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I do a lot of stop and go on my daily commute. In reality I should have went with an Automatic Transmission. But the kid in me made me go with a Manual Transmission....it's all preference.

It will probably be 165mph, and yes that's awesome, but where would you ever go that fast?
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughman View Post
Manual for me but it all about preference my man. Good luck on your choice
Old 03-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
JayhawkSS
Autobot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You will hear that because an automatic is precision tuned then it doesn't make much of a difference. We will let the test numbers speak for themselves when they come out. I choose a manual because that is the way a muscle car should be. I also think you have more control with a manual and feel one with the car. I understand the stop-n-go traffic issue though.

After the Camaro is available for testing you will see a plethora of aftermarket performance parts. I would wait awhile till you can get better parts for your money.
JayhawkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by themileman17 View Post
I don't really post on this site much although I am reading some of the posts almost daily to gather as much information as possible and I was just wondering two things. First off is there really going to be a huge difference between manual and automatic? Some of my friends are saying to definitely get a manual while some of my family is saying to definitely get an automatic. This would be my first manual car but I would be learning how to drive manual before I get this car if it was to be the manual option. Also another thing in which I was wondering was if there are going to be any aftermarket parts in order to increase the horsepower of this car and just make it faster than it already is? I don't want to make it sound like I am saying the Camaro is not fast because by God it definitely is. I was just simply asking because I am unsure about you guys but there is no real replacement for more speed and horsepower under the hood. Thanks in advance guys and gals.
If you asked this question about the tranny get an automatic, the manual guys this would not even be a question for.
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
It definitely seems like an automatic appears like the way to go.. With the paddle shifters does that mean that it is going to have certain aspects of the manual as well or nah? Also sorry for all the questions but what do you actually think the top speed is going to be in the 2SS because I have been hearing that it is going to be somewhere near 165 is that correct? If so holy cow that is going to be great :-D

with the paddle shifters, you shift the stick to "M" (for manual mode) and you tap the paddles to shift up and down.

the top speed will probably be over 165, but I dont plan on finding out on the street.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
69 rs/ss

Drives: 1969 rs/ss & 2010 L99 #3747 4/28/09
Quote:

I went with the auto for my 1 SS. I have a 4 speed in the 69 SS I have and it is fun but can be a hassle in traffic. I got the auto so the wife could drive as we are not getting any younger and we are not as quick on reaction time as we used to be so I will not be power shifting. If the auto was not close to the manual in 0-60 times I probably would have chose the manual. It really is your choice both are great.
69 rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
It definitely seems like an automatic appears like the way to go.. With the paddle shifters does that mean that it is going to have certain aspects of the manual as well or nah?
An automatic is an automatic, paddle shifters or not. Don't kid yourself that it will be like a manual. It won't.

But neither transmission is "better" than the other. It depends on what you want. I have never owned an automatic and never would, but something like 80% of the cars sold in America are automatics, so I'm definitely in the minority. On the other hand, I've read that close to 80% of the cars sold in Europe are manuals. What does that mean? I have no idea!

I can't imagine making your decision based on the answers you get in this thread however. Everyone's different, and no one knows what you like better than you.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote