Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #29
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
Simple. GM's product will have a much better driving reliability than a car with aftermarket mods, then there's the warranty that you get with the factory supercharged car, instead of voiding the one that came with the stock V8 edition that you're modding. also the parts the factory uses will always be of top quality and designed to fit the engine like a glove.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #30
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I think people are getting fired up emotionally and missing my point. If the Z-28 has some special meaning for you then by all means, enjoy. I was not commenting on that. Nor, if you read my original post, did I say stupid or crazy.

I simply don't believe the Z-28 will represent enough of a performance gain to justify the expense. Especially, since a C6 vette with a Z-51 suspension and some minor mods will out perform it easily for about the same cost. We can add all the horsepower we want, a near 4000lb weight will always be a serious burden.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #31
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
I think people are getting fired up emotionally and missing my point. If the Z-28 has some special meaning for you then by all means, enjoy. I was not commenting on that. Nor, if you read my original post, did I say stupid or crazy.

I simply don't believe the Z-28 will represent enough of a performance gain to justify the expense. Especially, since a C6 vette with a Z-51 suspension and some minor mods will out perform it easily for about the same cost. We can add all the horsepower we want, a near 4000lb weight will always be a serious burden.
But you don't know what it will be either.

How about we give it a rest until it actually comes out.

I think many people will be surprised.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Many good posts, so I'm not going to go over the obvious...

With all due respect to those who may not agree (or otherwise), but if someone has to explain and try to justify why Z28 has a lot of hype, more than likely, that person just doesn't get it. If you're happy with SS and even a mod'd SS, KUDOS to you . I'm all out for reasons already posted.

JMVHO

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #33
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
This is what I always tell people who ask, "Why would you ever spend money on a car that can go super fast when you can only go 65 MPH on the highways anyways?" or questions like that...

If you have to ask, then you just don't get it.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #34
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
yeah but how fast can you get up to 65??
Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #35
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
This is what I always tell people who ask, "Why would you ever spend money on a car that can go super fast when you can only go 65 MPH on the highways anyways?" or questions like that...

If you have to ask, then you just don't get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
yeah but how fast can you get up to 65??

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #36
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
z28 would be real cool for those that dont already have $60,000 invested in a ss. what would suck is if you waited on the z28 and it did not blow away the mustang. i would be very disapointed if the z28 was not going to be the pack leader for at least a couple years. gm should go extreme to make sure that it cant be touched by either ford or dodge. if gm can shave a few hundred pounds off the camaro then it would be a real threat.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.

Last edited by klatterblast; 08-09-2010 at 09:47 AM.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #37
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatterblast View Post
z28 would be real cool for those that dont already have $60,000 invested in a ss. what would suck is if you waited on the z28 and it did not blow away the mustang. i would be very disapointed if the z28 was not going to be the pack leader for at least a couple years. gm should go extreme to make sure that it cant be touched by either ford or dodge. if gm can shave a few hundred pounds off the camaro then it would be a real threat.
It all comes down to $$$. GM could do whatever they want, but it wouldn't be good business, necessarily. I agree that I hope GM can propel Camaro to the top of the heap for at least a couple years. Even if the numbers don't necessarily bare this out, I'll already be uber happy with Z28.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #38
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post

When I used the term crazy I was referring to myself. You can always build something better for less, but coming from the factory and having a warranty also means something to someone. Just trying to help explain why people in the market will buy it, that's all..
Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #39
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It all comes down to $$$. GM could do whatever they want, but it wouldn't be good business, necessarily. I agree that I hope GM can propel Camaro to the top of the heap for at least a couple years. Even if the numbers don't necessarily bare this out, I'll already be uber happy with Z28.
Can you put a little text in your signature saying:

"Here I come, bit*hes!!"

Old 08-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #40
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Can you put a little text in your signature saying:

"Here I come, bit*hes!!"

I tried something smart-@$$, like Z28 is right where it belongs, or something, but apparently I'm stupid because I can't get it to come up, LOL

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 08-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #41
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
To not really understand what a Z28 means is fine, but to most of the car crazy folks it means that the manufactures have made something for us and not the masses. Yes is a production car, but not everyone will be willing. Some will opt for fuel economy others price and the few who are left standing and have a understanding of what this car brings and will buy because of it. To me it is a way for the manufacturer to give back to me in a way that still affords me all the perks of the new factory car, but not in the same clothing..
I agree with you. BTW, that's a very nice ChevyII, they were splendid little racers back in the day, especially the SS 327cid 350hp, that was a real stormer with just a little work!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #42
76CamaroLT

Drives: 4wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
I love these threads. they always come in rashes. . .and always people just don't understand.

so what if you can slap a blower on your car for 6k. is that including all the supporting mods? transmission, rearend, suspension? probably not for 6k. if done right it will cost you closer to 15-20k for all the supporting mods. everything that will make it more like a z28 less like your SS. and you still won't have any of the visual differences. with no warranty. . .just one bad ass car.

but in the end it won't be a z28. .
That’s basically it….

If you’ve ever done mods, even to one car, to the level of what the Z28 will be beyond the SS you would quickly “get it”
76CamaroLT is offline   Reply With Quote