Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #57
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

That's all I'm gonna say. Continue this conversation somewhere else.

EDIT: posted at the same time... Listen to Tran!!
Thank you!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #58
swazworth
the nerd king

Drives: 2005 scion xb...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
What type of scientist are you? Just out of curiosity, because if you are a scientiest or chemical engineer or w/e it just seems odd because I have been to recent lectures the contradict what you say 10 fold, unless it wasn't you. SOmething about C02 filters and recycling it, etc.
that was me, and i never said i was i scientist. i'm was just saying that if the is a company out there that does doe that then let my money go there instead of the governments pockets, or at least let me buy some stock in them so i can get some of my money back.
Edit; you are very misinformed why gas is so expensive too- did you notice how the swiss frank is worth more now? Its called inflation, its called a crappy economy. Al gore has no inherent power in the government, probably because he is full of crap, but that is irrelevant. Everyone is so god damn paranoid of the government lately and they still are blaming the wrong side for all of their problems, the stupid ones are obvious, just listen to him speak or watch him dance before an important press conference.
oil in not just used for gas..... plastics and almost every other thing is made with oil. i'm sorry if i came across like the price of oil is the only reason gas is high. i know it is not the only reason.
yes i have noticed the frank is above the dollar. inflation i don't know if i would call it that.... i would just call it a weak dollar. this last week two this happened to strengthen the dollar. albeit short lived as it seems to be. first the fed only cut buy 3/4 of a percent the market was already look for a full point. the other is the report came out about oil, and gas... showed that the demand in America is down... oil drops like a rock...so does gold, and silver. but were did all that money go? back to people buying the dollar. which makes the dollar stronger, buying power more effective driving down the price of commodities even lower. i'm not saying that i know everything about about the market, in just saying what i heave seen and what people i talk to have told me.
honestly is the economy really that "crappy"? i mean if it was do you think we would have so many people on this board talking about buying a new car. that we all know will lose almost 20% of its value when we drive it off the lot? really, blame stupid people who make stupid decisions for the economy, if they didn't make bad decisions things might not be as bad as they seem..
now as for your comment about the market.... it's really not that bad. have i lost money yes...(but have i made some? yes) have alot of people lost money yes.... but talking to people who make big bucks in the market, they have all been putting more in. they know things will go back up, and when they do they will just make that much more. the market is only down bye <7% (for the year) right now.
lots of people thought it would be worse than that. it will rebound, and everybody will be happy.

we call also fully agree to disagree on things.

sorry, i was posting Dragon and Tran while you were posting the
swazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #59
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
:

EDIT: posted at the same time... Listen to Tran!!
Its kinda like having both your parents yell at you at the same time...in stereo...
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #60
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Its kinda like having both your parents yell at you at the same time...in stereo...
If only I knew your middle names....
Old 03-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #61
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
We will never see mid $2 gas again, never....... Eco Enviro nuts (aka Al Gore) will make sure of that.
In Germany they are Paying over 7 Bucks a Gallon today. but remember 80% of that is Taxes, remove some of those taxes and they would be inline with our prices. Europe is already talkinf about cutting the Petro Taxes to offset fuel costs.

With Gas Prices reaching 3.50 now I have already parked the Mustang and bought a 98 Maxima for the commute.

By 2009-2010 Gas Prices are Expected to reach upwards of 6 bucks a Gal.
Both Democratic Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama - each support inceasing the federal gasoline tax by 50 cents per gallon, in a bid to reduce consumption. and Senator Obama also want's to include a carbon tax.

"Senator Obama's Detroit speech was cast in the press as bold truth-telling. Yet the quickest and most efficient way to deter gasoline consumption, if that is his real objective, is not CAFE standards, but higher gasoline prices--i.e., through a carbon tax."

So are we ready to Buy a Car, Mod it to be Faster and use more gas when Prices are going to be over 6 bucks by mid model year of the camaro?

I feel this is the end of the Muscle Cars as we know it, the first year or two sales will be brisk, but that won't last and GM, Ford and Dodge will cancel the V8's all together. So buy them now and store them away, the era is over.
I agree with many of your points. Hell if could definitively predict the future, I wouldn't need to work.

I was merely pointing out that as our economy retracts, so will China's and India's. Further diminishing demand for oil. Hopefully the $ will not go much lower. As it strengthens, this should also help the price of gasoline.

In the meantime, as gas prices rise, demand will continue to decrease. Sales of SUVs are way down and my guess is that they will continue to fall. Again, decreasing demand.

This week, oil, gold and other commodities plummeted in price. The speculators are getting out and moving on to other investments. When they come back, who knows?

I am so sick of all the knee jerk reactions. CAFE mandated MPG, additional taxes on gasoline, etc. The economic rules of supply and demand work. They are working as I type and will still be working as whoever is wasting their time reading my thoughts read this. We do not need excessive government regulation.

We should all write our local representatives and tell them unless they want to get real jobs, they should work to eliminate or establish more realistic MPG requirements.

As to global warming, I'm with you and Bob Lutz. I think it's a crock of sh!t. And if it is happening, well maybe we can prevent the next Ice Age.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #62
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Tran, Dragoneye, I recomend a thread split. Seems that you could make a political one and an enviro thread. Anyhoo, I will get back on topic by the end of my post so just stay with me.

Quote:
Here is a great example about the knee jerk reaction to Climate change
On one hand the CFL Light Bulbs will save billions of barrels of Oils

The problem with the bulbs break is our homes, they can contaminate the air and soil. Mercury is a potent neurotoxin, and it's especially dangerous for children and fetuses. but they are pushing these bulbs everywhere, and they are more dangerous than the carbon monoxide produced from burning oil.
Yes, mercury is bad and thats why CFL's are a good thing. Why? How does America get most of its electricity? Coal. Mercury gets released when you burn most types of coal. So, the electricity that is saved equates to less mercury entering the environment. The amount saved is greater than that which is in a bulb. Plus, when the light gets disposed of it will be put into an area that is more or less contained. A coal plant will spread it out over the countryside and it will get into the water supply rather quickly.

Now, taking another step back to global warming. 1 year does not reverse a trend though it does take the wind out of the sails of the supporters. I havent ever fully agreed to the man made global warming. But I am all for economy. Save energy, save money. 2/3 of the oil in the US comes from imports, be it Canadian, Middle Eastern, or Central American. Most of the countries you buy oil from aren't too happy with you. Lots of the oil money in the middle east funds corrupt governments and/or terrorism. Some goes to nice people though. So by having more efficient cars, the modern forces of evil will have less money. And you pay less at the pumps. the same goes for people in Ontario. We get our gas from the Saudis, the pipelines in alberta go south, not east. And in the atlantic, well the oil goes south too.

So overall, there are plenty of reasons to buy more fuel efficient cars. It will have less impact on the environment, it will help on the war on terror, and your wallet gets a bit of extra cash. And I consider a ~400 hp V8 @25 mpg highway pretty efficient since most cars making half the power get about 25% better mileage. (told ya I'd get on topic)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Last edited by DGthe3; 03-21-2008 at 09:12 PM.
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #63
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Asked before and I'll ask once more; What's the hold up on making V8's capable of achieving better fuel economy (say like that of a V6) as oppose to just shelving them altogether?? I mean, if V6's are making what used to be V8 power not all that long ago while getting better fuel economy than ever why can't this be a universal trend for the V8? Is it down to mathematics, engineering, what?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #64
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
Asked before and I'll ask once more; What's the hold up on making V8's capable of achieving better fuel economy (say like that of a V6) as oppose to just shelving them altogether?? I mean, if V6's are making what used to be V8 power not all that long ago while getting better fuel economy than ever why can't this be a universal trend for the V8? Is it down to mathematics, engineering, what?
Who says it hasn't? V8s today make much more horsepower and have a lot better mileage than 20 years ago. Forget about even older than that, engines that could make that kind of power had their mileage measured in gallons per mile.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #65
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I'm sorry Daddy and daddy!!!! i'll go to bed!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:07 AM   #66
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
+1
Old 03-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #67
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
I am going to say it again.........
We are way Off Topic here so,
going back to fuel economy, check this out..

Contest for 10 Mil.. for a car that gets 100mpg
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120844

Electric Shelby EV300 (1000 ft Tq) whoo
http://www.motortrend.com/features/a.../photo_08.html
2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold

Last edited by 2K05GT; 03-22-2008 at 02:42 PM.
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #68
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Doesn't work man.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #69
THEDOCTOR46
2 Wheel Hero

Drives: 06 R6 / 07 CBR
I could really care less about fuel economy. Unless your talking about the new Camaro getting like 8mg then it won't have any effect on my buying decision. I much rather be driving something i love than drive a boring car that gets better gas mileage. Not saying the V6 Camaro would be boring but i know ill be having a lot more fun in my 400+hp V8. I have a truck right now and i get about 16-17 combined and fuel prices don't bother me one bit. I drive my truck all over the place. I've had it a year and a half and i have 25k miles on it already. So yeah who cares about fuel economy!
SS or Stang GT, tough call...
THEDOCTOR46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:33 AM   #70
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEDOCTOR46 View Post
I could really care less about fuel economy. Unless your talking about the new Camaro getting like 8mg then it won't have any effect on my buying decision. I much rather be driving something i love than drive a boring car that gets better gas mileage. Not saying the V6 Camaro would be boring but i know ill be having a lot more fun in my 400+hp V8. I have a truck right now and i get about 16-17 combined and fuel prices don't bother me one bit. I drive my truck all over the place. I've had it a year and a half and i have 25k miles on it already. So yeah who cares about fuel economy!
you can get a V6 and wait less than a year buy a supercharger that the aftermarket community will develop for it and save money on gas and the car though!!!! idk V6 will be best buy if you ask me. 50/50 wd and 300hp?! add on a sick sc and you're set man!!! if not a foot race with the gt you'll win then definately a day at the track...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote