Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
DillonN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Question Which sub box should I choose?

Hello, I recently got a 2010 2LT Camaro, with the Boston Accoustics system in it. I tried to install my subwoofer I had from my previous car yet it doesn't fit in the trunk so it looks like I need a new box. I'm trying to decide between the ******** stealth box, or the ported box (http://********.com/product_info.php...&products_id=7 or http://********.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=325).
I'm going from a huge 12" ported box (http://shopping.canadaspace.com/prod...x_hpr12/96491/) and used to the great bass it gives off. The subwoofer is Alpine type-r 12" (http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/swr-12d2/) paired with JL audio JX1000/1D.
My main concern is I don't wanna lose that bass.. that thud that you can feel in your gut! But I love the stealth box and the way it takes up almost no space. Is there much loss in bass with the sealed stealth box? On the Alpine site it says that a sealed enclosure is most recommended. So I'm not sure!
Any help is appreciated!
DillonN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
I would get a sealed small sealed box and pack it with some polyfil. I am running two kicker 12's and it hits great. You can feel the punch in your chest.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
DillonN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhosty View Post
I would get a sealed small sealed box and pack it with some polyfil. I am running two kicker 12's and it hits great. You can feel the punch in your chest.
So you're saying don't go with either of the ******** products?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
I've got a Alpine type X in the side mount box and it sounds great.
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
c5dreamer

Drives: Tacoma/2LTRS
******** also has a single rear fire box! I'm in the same boat, out of the 3 boxes, I think that the corner stealth box looks best, the ported would be the more bang for the buck, with a sacrifice in SQ, here's a question is there a such thing as a clean sounding ported box?
c5dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5dreamer View Post
******** also has a single rear fire box! I'm in the same boat, out of the 3 boxes, I think that the corner stealth box looks best, the ported would be the more bang for the buck, with a sacrifice in SQ, here's a question is there a such thing as a clean sounding ported box?
In my experience, no. The real question you should ask is: "Is there is such a thing as a loud sealed box?".

The answer to that one is yes. You can be loud with a sealed box. I hit over 140 at the dash with only around 1400W-1500W and my subs are sealed. Furthermore, I can also play clean as low as 18hz - not too shabby for sealed subs. I have never heard a ported box that sounded clean on music - they always sound sloppy. At least to my ears.....

YMMV.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
Check mine out at www.audioworkx.com Click on galleries and scroll down. Mine is the first Camaro..
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5dreamer View Post
Yes, but only if its designed correctly using the Specific speaker and vehicle parameters and built properly. A prefabricated box is a great solution for many, but a custom enclosure can't be beat.

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
DillonN

I really like the stealth one, especially since for me buying the ported one is not only the extra 45$ base price, but since I'm shipping it to Canada it'll be much more expensive shipping it, and I'll have to pay more tax when it crosses the border. I'd only do the ported if it had much better sound, but yes I do like clean too.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #10
c5dreamer

Drives: Tacoma/2LTRS
Just wondering if anybody has any insights on a single rear fire box vs the corner stealth box, I'm thinking the rear firing would sound better, but by how much?
c5dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
DillonN

Is there anyone who has heard the same sub/amp in the stealth and in the rear firing or ported box? That way there's a direct comparison!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
LineofPerfection

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro "Big Blue"
Here is a picture of my stealthbox from ********.
Attached Images

LineofPerfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
DillonN

That looks nice! What is the amp mounted to?
Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
if you want a stealth enclosure and money is no issue I would go ********. I was just suggesting the polyfil so the box hits a little better. If your really worried about having it loud why not start with one stealth on one side and if it doesn't do it add another?