Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #29
Pepe Le Pew
In love with ze Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I just installed my Borla S axleback and yes I feel ze drone. It is vibration in ze cabin. Its ok. Pepe likes her more when she vibrates. It feels like she is tickling my peuleupeupeu
Old 07-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #30
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSS View Post
Anyone tried cutting the J pipe out of their stock trash cans and welding it onto their aftermarket replacement?
www.solo-performance.com

Their L99 system uses a J pipe.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #31
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
Drone schmone, get over it nancy or buy a Buick! Well put OP...from last year.

And thanks for my Stingers!
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #32
Sunlover

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
If your "drone" is that sweet sounding, deep growl I hear (and hear even better when I punch it), I wouldn't trade it for anything.. I've got Ark slant-backs on mine, and it's the closest sound I was able to find that reminded me of what cars SHOULD sound like. I started driving in the '60's, and I want a car that SOUNDS like a car!

If you don't want more/better/different sound, leave the "garbage cans" on and you won't have to worry about it.
Sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #33
Black Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTKiller View Post
What is drone? I always thought it was that RPM where the exhaust gets VERY LOUD. I believe if you want an exhaust that sounds deep / rumbles the exhaust will drone, they go hand in hand. I have never heard an aftermarket exhaust not have drone but I have heard the Corsa somewhat resolves it by using baffles tuned to cancel the resonant frequency? Never heard one in person though so I couldn't comment. Anyone else?

Also, I love my Borlas but try driving 5 hours with drone, it's not pleasant in the least. At least that is my opinion.
I left the radio mostly off before I got my Corsa and made sure I got some city and highway miles in. I think the stock exhaust has some drone. Not bad, at all but there's a resonating sound in there stock.

Not sure of the science behind the Corsa, but they got it right. For sure, less drone than stock, and the bonus of deeper growl than stock. However, I totally understand why it's not for everyone. It's not loud, only increases the rumble. If you want loud, don't get the Corsa.

Red hood spears; Corsa cat-back exhaust; Roto-fab intake; Engine bay black/red theme; Black outs including both bowties, tail lights, tail light bezels, and side lamps; gill stripes; 35% window tints; Side SS badges; Hurst-equipped badge.
Black Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #34
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew View Post
I just installed my Borla S axleback and yes I feel ze drone. It is vibration in ze cabin. Its ok. Pepe likes her more when she vibrates. It feels like she is tickling my peuleupeupeu
Zis mammale du odour, he crazee, no?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #35
Pepe Le Pew
In love with ze Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
Zis mammale du odour, he crazee, no?
Bien sure ma cherie
Old 07-14-2011, 05:32 AM   #36
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
You can lead them to water, but you can't make them walk on it.

There will always be a divide between the "know's" and the "know-not's". If you don't mind, then it don't matter.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #37
Pepe Le Pew
In love with ze Camaro

Bonjour,
I have my Borla S axleback little more than a week now.After ze orgasm from listening to ze sweet rumble for ze first time I noticed ze dreaded drone and said to myself: "Pepe you handsome French fool! What did you do to ze love of your life??" But now either I got used to it or it has diminished. I believe if you keep paying attention to it it will bother you. If you make yourself ignore it, life will be beautiful.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #38
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
I left the radio mostly off before I got my Corsa and made sure I got some city and highway miles in. I think the stock exhaust has some drone. Not bad, at all but there's a resonating sound in there stock.

Not sure of the science behind the Corsa, but they got it right. For sure, less drone than stock, and the bonus of deeper growl than stock. However, I totally understand why it's not for everyone. It's not loud, only increases the rumble. If you want loud, don't get the Corsa.
You are right on a stock car w/ just Corsa catback... but keep in mind, once you add LT Corsa will be one of the loudest out there and still w/ no drone... I've had mine sitting next to Atak and StainlessWorks and it's just as loud if not more...

If you want the deep low sound... then you will be dealing with more drone.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #39
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyle007 View Post
Hit the head on the nail. This is the first time I have seen someone mention sound deadening being the solution to interior cabin noise. All of my previous cars had headers, full cat back systems, super chargers etc. I wanted them to sound like an angry lion but didnt want that angry lion in the back seat all the time. I would lay down different types of Dynamat from the fire wall back, in the trunk etc. Good way to keep the "Angry Drone" out.

"Angry Drone" hmmmm
Do a "search"- I installed Raamatt and Dynamat on my SS when I got it almost 2 years ago and did 2 threads on insulation.
I now have the Solo J-Pipes exhaust system and NO drone. Very quiet inside with a deep rumble outside and kept my AFM and warranty on my L99 SS.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #40
MattSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
www.solo-performance.com

Their L99 system uses a J pipe.
I'll probably be contacting them soon. Can anyone say how loud their cat-back system is when compared to stock or perhaps the Borla Touring/S/ATAK? Their comparo video makes the volume difference pretty clear.

As much as I agree that loud is good and the stock setup is disappointing I live in the reality of a noise sensitive wife and a quiet neighborhood full of crabby elderly folks with a few starter families with small children. I want a deeper/louder sound, but not at the expense of pissing off the crazy German guy across the street every time I turn the key or causing wet diapers (both adult and child) when leaving the subdivision.
MattSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #41
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
I've listened to dozens of exhaust videos on here and Youtube, and maybe I'm one of the lucky (or imperceptive, depending on how you wanna look at it!) people, because I've never heard drone. Or rather, what I recognize as drone (and I'm using this word here meaning, "a sound so annoying it would put me off buying exhaust.".) But if it's more a feel than a sound, maybe a video just doesn't capture it.

You don't see a lot of people "pulling the trigger" because to an exhaust noob, it's pretty daunting. Spend hundreds/thousands, possibly have to void your warranty - and possibly wind up with a car that irritates you to drive.

Exhaust currently sits at the bottom of my mod list for this reason.:(

(Still planning to do it, though.)

ETA: I have the auto, and when I do it I'll be getting lts, and yep, I'll have AFM tuned out. So I'll get it when I'm ready to axe the warranty.
The problem is you don't hear drone when the car isn't under a load. It rears it's ugly head when you're driving down the road. My GMPP Track Pack exhaust has some drone I notice it most in 3-4th gear going through 1500-2000 RPMs and it's noticeable in 6th gear on the highway going over around 1800-1900 RPMs. Luckily it hasn't affected my sense like it has with some people. If it did I would be replacing it immediately. I turn the radio up and I can barely hear it so I'm fine with that.
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #42
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSS View Post
I'll probably be contacting them soon. Can anyone say how loud their cat-back system is when compared to stock or perhaps the Borla Touring/S/ATAK? Their comparo video makes the volume difference pretty clear.

As much as I agree that loud is good and the stock setup is disappointing I live in the reality of a noise sensitive wife and a quiet neighborhood full of crabby elderly folks with a few starter families with small children. I want a deeper/louder sound, but not at the expense of pissing off the crazy German guy across the street every time I turn the key or causing wet diapers (both adult and child) when leaving the subdivision.
I asked my neighbors if my car was too loud and they said no. I do start the car in the garage with the garage door closed. This is with long tube headers, high flow cats, supercharger, cam (AFM deleted), and Borla Touring cat-back.

Concerning drone, there are times it will be annoyingly loud at cruising speed. I can shift the automatic to M and tap the shift down from 6th to 5th to change the rpm and get rid of the drone. When it is in drone mode, it vibrates everything in the car. I cannot allow two coins to touch each other in my cup holders.

Start up and Idle

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing

Last edited by bi11ymc; 07-14-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: concerning drone
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote