Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #43
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCarrot View Post
The problem is you don't hear drone when the car isn't under a load. It rears it's ugly head when you're driving down the road. My GMPP Track Pack exhaust has some drone I notice it most in 3-4th gear going through 1500-2000 RPMs and it's noticeable in 6th gear on the highway going over around 1800-1900 RPMs. Luckily it hasn't affected my sense like it has with some people. If it did I would be replacing it immediately. I turn the radio up and I can barely hear it so I'm fine with that.

Try it with the A6 and AFM....... it will "affect your sense"

People still don't seem to understand this. When someone asks about what exhaust to get and no one is asking whether they have a M6 or A6, that person is not getting very good advice......... or when someone is giving advice with an M6 to a guy they know has an A6...... DON'T LISTEN (pun intended) unless you are voiding your warranty and tuning AFM off. Idle and Rev videos will give you an idea of the sound but does not give an example of AFM's 4 cyl mode with aftermarket exhaust...... it is NOT A NICE SOUND!!
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #44
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
That is the main reason I didn't touch the auto. Very glad I stuck with a Manual for that reason. People tried to tell me it was a horrible idea and I said no way!
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #45
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You are right on a stock car w/ just Corsa catback... but keep in mind, once you add LT Corsa will be one of the loudest out there and still w/ no drone... I've had mine sitting next to Atak and StainlessWorks and it's just as loud if not more...

If you want the deep low sound... then you will be dealing with more drone.
i am very impressed with corsa, there exhaust might not be as deep sounding as maybe a flowmaster or bolra, but honesty its loud and has no drone. that right there is huge. and it still sounds good IMO, i have a cam and its pretty mean sounding. very deep in the low RPM range.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #46
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback700 View Post
Try it with the A6 and AFM....... it will "affect your sense"

People still don't seem to understand this. When someone asks about what exhaust to get and no one is asking whether they have a M6 or A6, that person is not getting very good advice......... or when someone is giving advice with an M6 to a guy they know has an A6...... DON'T LISTEN (pun intended) unless you are voiding your warranty and tuning AFM off. Idle and Rev videos will give you an idea of the sound but does not give an example of AFM's 4 cyl mode with aftermarket exhaust...... it is NOT A NICE SOUND!!
But AFM is NOT DRONE... it's a noise the engine makes that is accentuated when your exhaust is made louder. Please do not confuse AFM noise on the A6 with drone. It IS definitely something to consider as you noted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i am very impressed with corsa, there exhaust might not be as deep sounding as maybe a flowmaster or bolra, but honesty its loud and has no drone. that right there is huge. and it still sounds good IMO, i have a cam and its pretty mean sounding. very deep in the low RPM range.
Totally agree... some deeper ones do sound better, it's a trade off, but Corsa DOES get LOUD with a cam and LT.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #47
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Nevermind.

We need to get specific here. There are two "sounds" being lumped together and called DRONE. The one that needs to be addressed, as far as I'm concerned, is that phenomenon that occurs with GM V8-powered, automatic transmissioned, AFM/DOD equipped performance vehicles that have had their rear mufflers removed and replaced with straight-through pipe. When these vehicles reach cruising speeds of 68-72 mph and the engine transitions into 4-cylinder operation, under certain conditions, they will sound similar to the utube clip I posted above. This is a VERY unpleasant harmonic, unlike anything I've ever experienced before. The solution for me, with the Pontiac G8GT, was the addition of the famous home-made j-pipes that killed that particular noise DEAD, DEAD, DEAD. The exhaust tone was otherwise unaffected, and sounded great.
This vid is all I could find; The sound I experienced was much more pronounced:

Yes, any aftermarket exhaust system will have a droning sound under load at certain conditions, but that has never been the sound I have been referring to. That's just part of the "music".

Last edited by BigRed585Lbs; 07-14-2011 at 04:03 PM.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #48
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed585Lbs View Post
Nevermind.

We need to get specific here. There are two "sounds" being lumped together and called DRONE. The one that needs to be addressed, as far as I'm concerned, is that phenomenon that occurs with GM V8-powered, automatic transmissioned, AFM/DOD equipped performance vehicles that have had their rear mufflers removed and replaced with straight-through pipe.
AFM was not part of this thread. To be specific we are talking about Drone here... just like in the OP.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #49
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed585Lbs View Post
Nevermind.

We need to get specific here. There are two "sounds" being lumped together and called DRONE. The one that needs to be addressed, as far as I'm concerned, is that phenomenon that occurs with GM V8-powered, automatic transmissioned, AFM/DOD equipped performance vehicles that have had their rear mufflers removed and replaced with straight-through pipe. When these vehicles reach cruising speeds of 68-72 mph and the engine transitions into 4-cylinder operation, under certain conditions, they will sound similar to the utube clip I posted above. This is a VERY unpleasant harmonic, unlike anything I've ever experienced before. The solution for me, with the Pontiac G8GT, was the addition of the famous home-made j-pipes that killed that particular noise DEAD, DEAD, DEAD. The exhaust tone was otherwise unaffected, and sounded great.
This vid is all I could find; The sound I experienced was much more pronounced:

Yes, any aftermarket exhaust system will have a droning sound under load at certain conditions, but that has never been the sound I have been referring to. That's just part of the "music".
do you think drone is a new word or something ? drone has been around before AFM. drone is drone. its not just AFM.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #50
Switchback700

Quote:
But AFM is NOT DRONE... it's a noise the engine makes that is accentuated when your exhaust is made louder. Please do not confuse AFM noise on the A6 with drone. It IS definitely something to consider as you noted...

Totally agree... some deeper ones do sound better, it's a trade off, but Corsa DOES get LOUD with a cam and LT.

AFM is not drone???? The DRONE when in 4 cyl mode is X2 compared to 8 cyl drone........ Call it what you want, the resonating frequency caused at certain RPM's can be in 8 cyl or 4 cyls!! Except 4 cyl DRONE was twice as bad!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #51
Switchback700

–verb (used without object)
1. to make a dull, continued, low, monotonous sound; hum; buzz.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #52
Switchback700

Quote:
AFM was not part of this thread. To be specific we are talking about Drone here... just like in the OP.

The drone when in 4 cyl mode is much worse than the 8 cyl mode, but they are BOTH DRONE dude..... This IS the place to keep AFM discussed because many A6 people want to mod their exhaust and they need to realize AFM will have a huge affect.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #53
InvaderMoose

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
I had no idea what exhaust drone was till I get my full JBA system installed and DAMN it drones like crazy. When I first got it I couldnt even go on the highway without getting a headache/toothache, but im used to it now.

Engine/Appearance: 530 RWHP
Whipple supercharger, Full JBA Exhaust, Ported TB, Cold Air Inductions & ADM Scoop /Complete new paint, 20" Forgestar F14s, Sinister hood, SLP Spoiler, AAC Halos, P13W Fogs
InvaderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #54
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I put Flowmaster mufflers on my LS1 z28 and the drone drove me crazy. I couldn't wait to get them off my car.

I replaced the flowmaster mufflers with a Borla catback and the drone was 100% better.

Sorry for the guys the love Flowmaster, but on my Z28 the drone was horrible.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #55
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
I'm not going to get into the brands that I have had issues with because I don't want to turn this into ..."one is better than the other". BUT I bought an axle back system for the LLT that I had......most people said there was no drone. Well....I put it on and took it off 2 days later. Replaced it with a cat back system that is famous for NO DRONE advertising and at any speed I ran there was NO drone.

I traded the LLT off and now have a 1SS..A6. A week ago I put on the NO DRONE brand I have had before. Yes, I hear the AFM but that isn'r really drone. At any speed I have gone this week I have not heard...OR felt drone.

For the most part I agree with the definition of drone above....especially the part about "you feel it". It is not...the louder the more drone. It is an annoying frequency that actually can be felt in the ears and all over. The one I removed was so bad that my adult daughter was ill within 20 miles at 2000 rpm.

I spent mant years on aircraft flightlines and had no issues....but exhaust drone is a PITA!!

If you need to know what exhaust I have experienced no drone with you can PM me.

Majic
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #56
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback700 View Post
AFM is not drone???? The DRONE when in 4 cyl mode is X2 compared to 8 cyl drone........ Call it what you want, the resonating frequency caused at certain RPM's can be in 8 cyl or 4 cyls!! Except 4 cyl DRONE was twice as bad!!!
If you want to change this thread to another one of the many AFM threads so be it. The sound DOD makes when in 4 cylinder mode may be twice as bad on your car, but a lot of exhaust systems have way more drone problems than AFM ever causes. There are many combinations out there that all give different results Most L99 folks who mod their car this far simply turn DOD off (problem solved). LS3 or L99 drone doesn't go away that easy unless you change out mufflers or mechanically modify the system to reduce or eliminate it.

When you experience true drone for a couple of hours on the highway you will know it. AFM is just a nuisance that can be quickly eliminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
I'm not going to get into the brands that I have had issues with because I don't want to turn this into ..."one is better than the other". BUT I bought an axle back system for the LLT that I had......most people said there was no drone. Well....I put it on and took it off 2 days later. Replaced it with a cat back system that is famous for NO DRONE advertising and at any speed I ran there was NO drone.

I traded the LLT off and now have a 1SS..A6. A week ago I put on the NO DRONE brand I have had before. Yes, I hear the AFM but that isn'r really drone. At any speed I have gone this week I have not heard...OR felt drone.

For the most part I agree with the definition of drone above....especially the part about "you feel it". It is not...the louder the more drone. It is an annoying frequency that actually can be felt in the ears and all over. The one I removed was so bad that my adult daughter was ill within 20 miles at 2000 rpm.

I spent mant years on aircraft flightlines and had no issues....but exhaust drone is a PITA!!

If you need to know what exhaust I have experienced no drone with you can PM me.

Majic
Exactly...