Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
bradmak

Drives: 1LS
Wax on your stripe?

What would happen?? i have white stripes..
bradmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
i use mothers quick detailer on my white stripes .there is no grit in this product....they really shine and look great
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmak View Post
What would happen?? i have white stripes..
You can wax gloss stripes without a problem. Stay clear of any wax from matte stripes. I made the mistake but hopefully will be finally able to clean it off with Adams all purpose cleaner and then some Super VRT I just got. Waiting for my wash kit to come in to give it all a try
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
WildOne
the "crazy cat" lady

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Blk Vrt
I used a paint sealant on the matte stripes and it gave it a real nice shine and helps protect. I've never used "wax" on my cars because it tends to make a mess. Prefer the Sealant.
WildOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Thought I would share this link with you. It's a video that will teach you how to care for the factory viynl stripes

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151434
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOne View Post
I used a paint sealant on the matte stripes and it gave it a real nice shine and helps protect. I've never used "wax" on my cars because it tends to make a mess. Prefer the Sealant.
What kind of "waxes" have you tried that made a mess???

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Thought I would share this link with you. It's a video that will teach you how to care for the factory viynl stripes

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151434
Beat me to it! Great info in that video.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
If you get instant detailer or wax on matte stripes you will get a hazy build up. I use Mother's VLR for my vinyl stripes and it works great.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
I use Collinite 915 high carnuba wax on my whole car including my gloss inferno orange metallic stripes. It's a clear paste wax that you apply if very thin almost clear sheets. Really takes a lot of the mess out of waxing. Plus it's an AWESOME wax that outperforms cheap waxes like turtle wax/mothers/other stuff you can buy at autozone. Gives a great shine and LASTING protection unlike the cheap ones that are basically gone after a week.

To help remove hard water spots and put a natural shine back on my stripes i use Meguire's professional line M205 polish on a white pad with almost no abbrasiveness every few months, taping the edges of the stripes first. There is some contraversy around using clay bar/very fine polishes on GM factory vinyl stripes but i have seen supported evidence that the stripes GM puts on our camaros are safe to clay. I have not seen anything really saying it's okay to run a very fine polish on them but i'm assuming if i can clay bar my stripes i can run a coat of very thin polish on my stripes since it's less abbrassive. In my opinion, anything beats a quick detailer spray and a cheap microfiber. You can create some crazy swirl all over your car in minutes with that combo.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOne View Post
I have never understood when people say this. Why did you get matte if you want them to shine...?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
Hitman84

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue 2SS 1LE
I know this is a bit of a thread resusrrection but is any kind of VRT safe for the car paint if not left on too long? I ask because obviously it will be a pain in the ass if not so when caring for the matte hockey stripes.
Hitman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman84 View Post
I know this is a bit of a thread resusrrection but is any kind of VRT safe for the car paint if not left on too long? I ask because obviously it will be a pain in the ass if not so when caring for the matte hockey stripes.
Yes a couple of swipes and it buffs off.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote