Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
HOW TO VIDEO: Caring for Factory Camaro Stripes

Enjoy! I will continue to update this thread with relevant information as it becomes available.

Don't forget to select the higher quality 720p option

Cautions, Watchouts, & 'Don't Do That!' Warnings:
  • Never work on stripes while they are hot to the touch. If you've been driving or the car has been sitting in direct sun for an extended period of time allow a few minutes for them to cool down.
  • Never work across the edge of the stripes with polishes or waxes. Tape off edges if necessary, dressings on the other hand are OK as they do not build up along the edges.
  • Always test the process in a small area before proceeding to the rest of the stripe. No sense in doing the whole process if you're not sure you'll like the result.
  • Do not use heavy abrasives or aggressive polishing methods as they can damage the stripes beyond repair.
  • All the processes described in the video can be 'undone' if you are not satisfied with the results.

Wax/Polish Residue, Stains, or Stubborn Contamination on Matte Stripes:
  • Start simple... Waterless Wash or Detail Spray and a microfiber towel are very mild and should be tried before anything else.
  • Brilliant Glaze rubbed into the problem area with a soft foam applicator will remove most natural wax contamination.
  • Brilliant Glaze will also work well on blotchy or streaked stripes.
  • For dried polishes and polymer reinforced wax contamination a diluted mixture of APC (1:1) sprayed onto a towel and used to scrub may work. AGAIN ONLY USE ON STRIPES THAT ARE COOL TO THE TOUCH!!
  • As a last restort diluted isopropyl alcohol can be used if nothing else removes the staining. Use cautiously and in moderation.

Scuffs, Scrapes, and Hard Water Spots:
  • Use about a large quarter sized blob of Fine Machine Polish or Revive on a blue foam hex grip polishing pad. Rub the polish into the stripe then remove excess residue with a plush microfiber towel.
  • Repeat the process as needed on more substantial damage. Use caution to not over polish and never use a heavily abrasive chemical or foam.
  • Super VRT dressing will mask most minor scuffs and scrapes that aren't removed by the polishing.

Info updated 2/28/2012 -

------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Data direct from 3M in regards to vehicle wraps and graphics:

Cleaning: Use a cleaner designed for high-quality painted surfaces. The cleaner must be wet, non-abrasive, without strong solvents, and have a pH value between 3 and 11 (neither strongly acidic nor strongly alkaline)

Additional Note from Tech Support: "The use of acidic or alkaline cleaners may be required to remove some types of stubborn contamination, but should be limited in use as repeated cleanings with such chemicals can result in drying of the material."

3M: Caring for Vinyl Vehicle Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 6: Polish & Wax
Most standard graphic films and overlaminates can be polished or waxed with a high quality car wax. Before use, test and approve in an inconspicuous area. Do not use any abrasive polishes or cutting compounds.
For the carbon fiber and brushed metal films in Scotchprint« Wrap Film Series 1080, a polishing product such as 3MTM Tire Restorer or Meguiars« Natural Shine Protectant may be used. We do not recommend any polishing or wax product for the matte or textured films.

Manufacture information from Ford/3M for those of you with Mustangs or other Ford products featuring vinyl graphics. This information applies to pretty much all factory vinyl, but its nice the people at ford have provided specifics on the subject:

Ford Custom Graphics - FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford
What are the custom graphics for Ford made of?
A. Our graphics are made with 3M’s Scotchprint« Personalized Vehicle Graphic Film plus a clear graphic protection layer. Ford Custom Graphics is able to control quality by working directly with some of the best graphics manufacturers in the industry.

How do I care for my graphics once they are installed on my vehicle?
A. Hand washing of your vehicle and its graphics is recommended. Avoid abrasive materials, petroleum distillates (such as tar removers) and car washes that use brushes or high pressure. About 6 weeks after the graphics are applied you can use automotive wax over your vehicle, but avoid products designed for cleaning and waxing in a single step as they contain more solvents, which could affect the graphics.

Additional information from Oracal on their vinyl products:

Keep in mind that the recommendations from both the other manufactures (3M & Avery) specifically encourage the use of wax and/or sealants on their gloss materials to provide protection against fade, fallout, and damage. The majority of vehicle graphics provided to OEM are (to our knowledge) produced by 3M.

http://www.oracal.com/products/_docs...e_graphics.pdf

Information specific to fallout:
http://www.oracal.com/products/_docs...t_Bulletin.pdf

Quote:
Suggestions for Vehicle Wrap Owners in this area:
  • Rinse the vehicle every morning to minimize deposits
  • Wash the vehicle at least once a week with a very mild soap. Ask wrap installers for a vehicle wrap care guide.
  • Use a Teflon type polish designed for vehicle wraps to help protect the surface and gloss.
  • Follow manufacturer’s directions and application frequencies.

Technical Data direct from Avery:

A mild soap and water combination is recommended for regular cleaning. Any soaps used should be liquid, non-abrasive, without strong solvents. It is also recommended that soaps with wax additives be avoided.

Cleaners heavy in petroleum distillates (bug & tar removers) should never be used to clean the material under any circumstances.

Quality vinyl protectants free of silicones can be used to address fading or spotting.

Last edited by Nick@Adams; 07-26-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Great video Dylan! I know that it's been and still is being debated on what is the proper way to take care of the vinyl stripes.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I'll have to check it out later on! Glad Nicole stepped up for this!!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
DrVonkle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Looks good. Like the editing at the end.
DrVonkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Wow nice.... Gonna go out and do that right now! =)
Old 06-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
shortstop4

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Thanks for the video.. I guess I am going backwards putting on Aerospace 303 before I put brilliant glaze on. I need to use Adams BG first.

=

LOUD!!
shortstop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Nick@Adams

Yea, the BG likely is removing, or at the very least degrading the 303
Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Vid came out great Dylan.. All those hours of drinking beer made for a pretty good video.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
Nick@Adams

You'd never know the camera guy was drunk would ya?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
Jimbabwe

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Nice video. So the solvents in the BG don't break down the other wax / sealants that you put on (like in Machine Superwax / buttery)?
Jimbabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
Nick@Adams

They DO break down other things.... thats why we suggest that it always be applied first, then topped with wax.

The only exception to that being sealants (Machine Superwax is a sealant), which are much more resistant to detergents and solvents, and perform best when applied to bare paint. The solvents have far less impact on sealants than they do waxes and thus the application order (if you're using multiple steps) is MSW then BG then BW or APW

Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #12
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
Awesome video again Dylan! I've been using the VRT on my matte stripes and LOVE the way it looks!

One thing for those (like me) who have there car outside all the time to know. Sometimes the VRT will wear off and the stripes will start to look like they aren't uniform in color. Just add more VRT and you're good to go, no need to clean them anymore than with just soap and water before applying.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
yeah yeah yeah, I got my stripes clean and all pretty, great video. Now how do I go about getting one of those Adams banners (discover your shine potential ) for my garage? Some things you just HAVE to HAVE.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
Nick@Adams

LOL... thats a REALLY old banner. I have that from back in my "I'm a customer" days, before I even worked here. I might have a few old 10th anniversary banners laying round that I can find a way to raffle off I guess.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Finally got to watch the video. So, the consensus for you guys was that VRT was the better looking method. Got it!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
Nick@Adams

Yep.

For cleaning up wax residues Brilliant Glaze works and leaves them VERY matte, but if you're simply dressing and not cleaning the VRT w/ a post application towel wipe down produces the best look.

FMP also works well for producing a very matte look and reduces scuffs and other defects.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Yep.

For cleaning up wax residues Brilliant Glaze works and leaves them VERY matte, but if you're simply dressing and not cleaning the VRT w/ a post application towel wipe down produces the best look.

FMP also works well for producing a very matte look and reduces scuffs and other defects.
Nice! I'll take this knowledge and spread it across the members this Saturday at the Bako meet!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #18
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
LOL... thats a REALLY old banner. I have that from back in my "I'm a customer" days, before I even worked here. I might have a few old 10th anniversary banners laying round that I can find a way to raffle off I guess.
Raffle? Raffle? who said raffle? I clearly said.. "I" want one. Not I want to win one in a raffle.

Don't make me pull this forum over and have to reach back over this seat. I will.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #19
Coe's_Mro
SoCal Mayhem/Raceteam #16

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 1LT
Vid turned out great! good job Dylan!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:23 AM   #20
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coe's_Mro View Post
Vid turned out great! good job Dylan!
Nice meeting you satuday Nicole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #21
Jus1dab

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Great video, but did I miss the part about how to care for the gloss stripes
Old 06-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #22
Nick@Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1dab View Post
Great video, but did I miss the part about how to care for the gloss stripes
You must have - 7:35 thru 8:15 roughly. Not a big part of the video as its not really difficult:

YOU CAN WAX THE GLOSS STRIPES
Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #23
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Yea the glossy stripes can basically be treated like paint, minus heavy polishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #24
camaroguylenny

Drives: 2012 Jaguar XJ
Great video. I had been using just the Brilliant Glaze on my matte stripes and was pretty happy until I tried the BG and VRT combo after watching the video.

They look even better now with the finish looking more uniform in coverage than before.

Thanks for the info!
camaroguylenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #25
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
great job as always Dylan. Nicole way to represent
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote