Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-27-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
New to boost... please go easy on me...

Hey everyone. So I recently had my car tuned. Made 430rwhp with all of the mods listed in my signature. Now... I have always wanted boost. Only ever experienced it in other people's cars, and never had the means to make it happen in my own ride. The guys at redline motorsports insisted that if I wanted "street friendly" boost that I should go with a roots style blower vs centrifugal. This is a 99% street car that I daily drive to work, the gym, grocery store, etc... my issue with the roots style stuff is that even a zl1/ctsv blower setup will run me over 4-5k even buying used parts. I have really been considering a Torqstorm blower. For the power range that I want, I think that that charger will get me there. Plus, ease of installation, in my mind it makes sense. I don't want any more power then say... 550 to the rear wheels.

My question are...
1. Will I realistically need to modify anything else on the car to make safe power with this supercharger? Like, a cam, or valvetrain upgrades? Can I run this charger on a truly stock engine, safely? What are the stock clutch limitations? This car will not be launched on any sort of prepped surface, ever. My local track in west palm beach is closing down and the nearest racetrack in Bradenton is nearly 4 hours away.

2. Am I way off base on the supercharger? Should I just save my money and buy a used Whipple or Magnuson?

3. What are some driveability issues that I will face with a supercharger? I don't want a maximum effort setup. Just a fun street car, that makes blower noises.

I just want some friendly advice from some people who know their stuff. I don't have a 10k budget for this build, but I am not afraid to spend money where it is needed. Any feedback is appreciated.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:22 PM   #2
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
1) Absolutely you can make 550 with the stock engine. Put about 9 psi to it with a twin screw and you’re good to go.

2) All boost is good boost…buy whatever supercharger you want. They all make a ton of power. Look at turbos too. Lots of good options for us Camaro owners. We are blessed with so many aftermarket boost options.

3) Zero drivablility issues with a supercharger. Or any boost for that matter. They drive extremely nice. The tuning ability of modern engines allow you to go from mild to wild with 1000hp engines. Boost it…have fun and do massive burnouts…and still be able to drive to work or take the wife out for dinner.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:33 PM   #3
The SS Godfather

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
Hey everyone. So I recently had my car tuned. Made 430rwhp with all of the mods listed in my signature. Now... I have always wanted boost. Only ever experienced it in other people's cars, and never had the means to make it happen in my own ride. The guys at redline motorsports insisted that if I wanted "street friendly" boost that I should go with a roots style blower vs centrifugal. This is a 99% street car that I daily drive to work, the gym, grocery store, etc... my issue with the roots style stuff is that even a zl1/ctsv blower setup will run me over 4-5k even buying used parts. I have really been considering a Torqstorm blower. For the power range that I want, I think that that charger will get me there. Plus, ease of installation, in my mind it makes sense. I don't want any more power then say... 550 to the rear wheels.

My question are...
1. Will I realistically need to modify anything else on the car to make safe power with this supercharger? Like, a cam, or valvetrain upgrades? Can I run this charger on a truly stock engine, safely? What are the stock clutch limitations? This car will not be launched on any sort of prepped surface, ever. My local track in west palm beach is closing down and the nearest racetrack in Bradenton is nearly 4 hours away.

2. Am I way off base on the supercharger? Should I just save my money and buy a used Whipple or Magnuson?

3. What are some driveability issues that I will face with a supercharger? I don't want a maximum effort setup. Just a fun street car, that makes blower noises.

I just want some friendly advice from some people who know their stuff. I don't have a 10k budget for this build, but I am not afraid to spend money where it is needed. Any feedback is appreciated.

Any boost is good, I am looking at a procharger but $$ best for my budget too.
Attached Images

The SS Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:25 AM   #4
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
1) Absolutely you can make 550 with the stock engine. Put about 9 psi to it with a twin screw and you’re good to go.

2) All boost is good boost…buy whatever supercharger you want. They all make a ton of power. Look at turbos too. Lots of good options for us Camaro owners. We are blessed with so many aftermarket boost options.

3) Zero drivablility issues with a supercharger. Or any boost for that matter. They drive extremely nice. The tuning ability of modern engines allow you to go from mild to wild with 1000hp engines. Boost it…have fun and do massive burnouts…and still be able to drive to work or take the wife out for dinner.
This is pretty much what I wanted to hear, and what I expected.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:27 AM   #5
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SS Godfather View Post
Any boost is good, I am looking at a procharger but $$ best for my budget too.
Ideally I would love to go procharger, but it is just too much $$$ for me. I have heard good things about the Torqstorm blowers. They also have good reviews regarding their warranty policies. Which is a big plus for me. Plus for $3500 or less, I feel like you cant really go wrong.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:33 PM   #6
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I installed an Edelbrock S/C on my SS in Sept. 2010 with 15K miles on it. I bought a new one and me and my buddy installed it in my garage. Shops wanted $1000 to install it. I have 56K miles on the S/C and it works just fine. With the additions below, I get 546 rwhp and 520 rwtq. Which is 642 hp at the crank. No new cam. I had to install a ZL1 fuel pump and bigger injectors.

It is great for the street.

2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:10 PM   #7
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Yes, you can safely run *ANY* type of forced induction on the stock motor without internal mods or valvetrain upgrades. There are some peripheral items that will need to be upgraded to go with your power adder of choice though.

1. Fuel injectors (I'd recommend some 95lb/hr injectors from Fuel Injector Connection)
2. possibly a fuel system (Boost-a-Pump, Auxiliary pump, or in-tank twin/triple setup)

The stock clutch will hold up just fine, as long as you don't abuse it. I'm still on the stock clutch myself.

The TorqStorm would be a great choice, and I think they are more than capable of getting you into the 550-600whp range. Good luck and keep us posted!

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:49 PM   #8
The SS Godfather

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RS/SS
Quote:
Ideally I would love to go procharger, but it is just too much $$$ for me. I have heard good things about the Torqstorm blowers. They also have good reviews regarding their warranty policies. Which is a big plus for me. Plus for $3500 or less, I feel like you cant really go wrong.
Yeah, totally understand the $$$ , Torqstorm you can't go wrong
The SS Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:15 AM   #9
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
I have reads some good things about the Torqstorm as well. Based on what you're looking for, that would be a good fit for your ride.
The one thing that kept me from going with a centrifugal SC is the noise they make, just not for me.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:46 AM   #10
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
Yes, you can safely run *ANY* type of forced induction on the stock motor without internal mods or valvetrain upgrades. There are some peripheral items that will need to be upgraded to go with your power adder of choice though.

1. Fuel injectors (I'd recommend some 95lb/hr injectors from Fuel Injector Connection)
2. possibly a fuel system (Boost-a-Pump, Auxiliary pump, or in-tank twin/triple setup)

The stock clutch will hold up just fine, as long as you don't abuse it. I'm still on the stock clutch myself.

The TorqStorm would be a great choice, and I think they are more than capable of getting you into the 550-600whp range. Good luck and keep us posted!
So realistically speaking the only upgrades "required" would be fueling related. Think the ZL1 pump would sustain that power level just fine?

Old 03-29-2022, 09:48 AM   #11
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
So realistically speaking the only upgrades "required" would be fueling related. Think the ZL1 pump would sustain that power level just fine?
Yes. When I initially installed my Whipple, all I had was a ZL1 pump and an ADM FPCM (the code hadn't been broken yet to be able to tune the FPCM), and I was able to get 600+whp reliably. When I pulleyed down (3.625") and went to about 675whp, I started losing fuel pressure in the upper RPM range.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:00 PM   #12
JMI

Drives: Red Jewel Camaro SS
The ECS setup is priced right,and some have made over 800RWHP with the base head unit.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:24 PM   #13
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Given you daily it, not race it. A Rootes will give you more oomph on those ranges, lower rpm etc for the money making it feel like you've more power than some of the other options.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:06 PM   #14
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Agree. The instant power of a twin screw or roots is addicting. Makes the car feel like it’s 1/2 the weight and twice the displacement. But…all boost is good boost…just gotta decide what’s best for you.

Pretty good comparison here to see the awesome low end torque of a twin screw vs awesome top end of a turbo. Centri puts you right in between. And all deliver a ton of smiles and rubber laid down on the asphalt.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526599

Last edited by cc-rider; 04-03-2022 at 07:37 PM.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote