Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Edmudns says V8's going the way of the dinosaur

The sound of this doesn't bother me one bit, because truth is if you want a V8 you'll always be able to buy one from GM or some aftermarket supplier elsewhere. It's time to shape up and get with the times. Period.

Quote:
FLINT, Michigan — General Motors laid out its small-four-cylinder engine strategy on Thursday, effectively signaling the end of an era for thirsty, Detroit-made V8s. The automaker said it will double its global production of small four-cylinder engines in the 1.0-to-1.4-liter range by 2011, with a linchpin in the offensive being the new 1.4-liter four-cylinder turbo engine that will power the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze.

Estimated output ratings for the 1.4-liter turbo will be 140 horsepower with a torque rating of 148 pound-feet, GM said in a statement.

A non-turbo 1.4-liter variant "will serve as a secondary energy source for the 2011 Chevrolet Volt," GM added. When the Volt's battery energy is depleted, the 1.4-liter engine kicks in.

"[The] new engine reinforces GM's commitment to replacing larger-displacement engines with more compact, advanced four-cylinder engines that optimize performance and fuel savings," GM said.

GM seemed anxious to reassure consumers that they won't be giving up a lot as the automaker turns toward small engines in an ongoing fight for its survival in an era of soaring gas prices.

"Because of the turbocharger's on-demand power and responsiveness, it's like having two engines in the same vehicle — one for power and one for fuel economy," said Tom Stephens, GM Global Powertrain and Global Quality executive vice president.

GM said it will introduce the 1.4-liter turbo in the U.S. in two additional, unspecified GM models in 2011.

The powertrain announcement also held out the hope of revitalizing Flint, Michigan, an old GM town that has fallen on hard times. GM said it will invest $370 million in the U.S. to build a new manufacturing plant here for its global four-cylinder engines. Production will kick off in 2010, and the plant will be the "exclusive" manufacturing facility in North America to build the Chevy Volt's engine.

What this means to you: V8s are going the way of the dinosaur. There's likely to be a peppy four-cylinder in your future GM vehicle. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=132208
Old 09-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
edmunds could be right but i dont wanna think about that right now
Old 09-25-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
only V8 for me!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
edmunds could be right but i dont wanna think about that right now
Honestly, who cares? If it's what helps GM refocus their powertrain development/portfolio strategy so they can build more cars that people actually want to buy all the better. It's time Americans start piping down on overzealous consumption. If current economic circumstances don't show the picture well we're in quite the hang over as it is.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
edmunds is so reliable.........

OH WAIT!
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #6
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
To bad. Better keep the V-8's you have, probably be worth a fortune in the next 10 to 20 years.
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
As long as there's trucks there will be V8s, imo.

That doesn't mean they'll keep stuffing them into cars, though. From a business and logical standpoint...why do that, when a Turbo'd V6 will give you just as much power and torque + better fuel economy?

Given the recent advancements in powertrain (direct injection coupled with turbos, VVT, etc) there's no performanc compromises by using a V6 instead...I think the only people who will mourn the potential loss of the V8 will be those who are emotionally attached to those two extra cylinders.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
BitchinCamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Dig up automotive magazines from the 70's and 80's and you will find the same articles. They have a long way to go before the smaller engines can match the grunt of a V8. Plus, we are coming up on the wall of what is a safe horse power to produce for the street, so power probably won't increase much, but gas mileage still can. I have no doubt we will see a 30 MPG V8 before the end of the 5th gen.
BitchinCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
As long as they make Camaro V8s for a few years so that I can buy one. Nothing beats the small block.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
camaro&T/A

Drives: '82 Z28 400SB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinCamaro View Post
Dig up automotive magazines from the 70's and 80's and you will find the same articles. They have a long way to go before the smaller engines can match the grunt of a V8. Plus, we are coming up on the wall of what is a safe horse power to produce for the street, so power probably won't increase much, but gas mileage still can. I have no doubt we will see a 30 MPG V8 before the end of the 5th gen.
qouted for the truth. IMO V8's will get smaller and more efficient, and they will NEVER disappear. last time the carbed V8 was replaced with the EFI V8. this time I think the port injected V8 will be replaced with the DI V8.
camaro&T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Get 'em while you can (remember seeing those words somewhere else?...)

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #12
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Good thing dinosaurs are more popular than ever!!
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #13
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
I'll have my Camaro SS way before then, so I really don't care. . . My Camaro is going to be a garage queen / weekend cruise ride. . . It will be with me til the end.
franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
73 Vette

Drives: 1973 Vette
Wish Edmunds would go the way of the dinosaur....
73 Vette is offline   Reply With Quote