Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #2115
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Hello, my firearms friends...

I'm in the market for a short-barrel (preferably 18.5") 12Ga. shotgun...It's purpose would be primarily a shooting range toy that would double as HD and zombie-killer.

I'm torn between a Mossberg 590 6-shot, and a Remington 870 Express Tactical. Either way I go, I predict having to modify it...

The newer Remingtons have surface rust issues...so I'll have to refinish it...But the Mossbergs are two inches too long, and aren't choked (which isn't a deal-breaker, but I'd like).

It seems like just refinishing the Remington would require less work on my end, and it's the superior operator of the two, so I've heard.

I have to unfortunately admit this is my first firearm, ever...so I'd greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions you have to offer.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #2116
ChevyXtC

Drives: '10 CGM SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

I'm in the market for a short-barrel (preferably 18.5") 12Ga. shotgun...It's purpose would be primarily a shooting range toy that would double as HD and zombie-killer.

I'm torn between a Mossberg 590 6-shot, and a Remington 870 Express Tactical. Either way I go, I predict having to modify it...

The newer Remingtons have surface rust issues...so I'll have to refinish it...But the Mossbergs are two inches too long, and aren't choked (which isn't a deal-breaker, but I'd like).

It seems like just refinishing the Remington would require less work on my end, and it's the superior operator of the two, so I've heard.

I have to unfortunately admit this is my first firearm, ever...so I'd greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions you have to offer.
I have 2 Rem 870's. Both 20ga, 1 with wood stocks, 26" barrel, and the other is the 7 round 18.5" barrel with black synthetic stocks. I use them both for hunting/home defense. They have seen their fair share of rainy weather, mud, dirt... I haven't had a problem with rust at all, every time I come in from hunting I give it a quick cleaning/wipe down, then after every hunt season or I shoot it, I give her a good breakdown cleaning.
I'm actually looking to get another 870 here soon, the 12ga Express Slug comes with a fully rifled 23" barrel.
I don't know, I guess there's a reason I stick with 870's.

Never had a jam, feed issue, rust problem, nothing..Love em both
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #2117
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
party time JOE!
Old 10-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #2118
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyXtC View Post
I have 2 Rem 870's. Both 20ga, 1 with wood stocks, 26" barrel, and the other is the 7 round 18.5" barrel with black synthetic stocks. I use them both for hunting/home defense. They have seen their fair share of rainy weather, mud, dirt... I haven't had a problem with rust at all, every time I come in from hunting I give it a quick cleaning/wipe down, then after every hunt season or I shoot it, I give her a good breakdown cleaning.
I'm actually looking to get another 870 here soon, the 12ga Express Slug comes with a fully rifled 23" barrel.
I don't know, I guess there's a reason I stick with 870's.

Never had a jam, feed issue, rust problem, nothing..Love em both
I am very new to this field. Heritage and reputation mean very little to me. Well...not anymore...but initially, not. Anyways, I've about accepted it as bible-fact that Remington operational quality is simply unsurpassed...that said - I've been reading conflicting reports that the recent Express line of 870s has had barrel and receiver rusting issues.

Easy to rectify....but that's why I'm considering the Mossberg as well...to possibly avoid it.

Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpizzle007 View Post
why do you have to modify it? and what do you envision changing?

If you plan on it being a range toy and home defense, I highly doubt you will need to refinish a firearm.
Just considering what I'd need to do to the Mossberg to make it "perfect" for me. As it stands, the 870 is equipped perfectly...but the finish issues had me concerned...

I'm now leaning 90% towards the Remington. A local shop has a good price on it in addition to everything else in its favor.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #2119
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
It won't have rust issues if you take proper care of it.

Go for the Remington....
Old 10-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #2120
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:

I own 3 870's. Never had rust on any of them and 2 of them stay in the shop back home.

In the market of pump guns, get the 870. Hands down. No questions asked.

If the finish does pit or something on it, just get it coated. That said, a little oil once every 3-4 months and you are fine. (I oil all my guns about that time and never have an issue.)
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #2121
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
It won't have rust issues if you take proper care of it.

Go for the Remington....
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
I own 3 870's. Never had rust on any of them and 2 of them stay in the shop back home.

In the market of pump guns, get the 870. Hands down. No questions asked.

If the finish does pit or something on it, just get it coated. That said, a little oil once every 3-4 months and you are fine. (I oil all my guns about that time and never have an issue.)
Thanks.

Out of curiosity, is there a specific coating or two that you know of/are recommended? Would a gunsmith know of these?

It's good to hear the same things repeated about quality/reliability regarding the 870s.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #2122
Scrappy Doo

Quote:
Thanks.

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, is there a specific coating or two that you know of/are recommended? Would a gunsmith know of these?

It's good to hear the same things repeated about quality/reliability regarding the 870s.

Check these guys out. At least to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. They are local to me and their gunsmithing is excellent.

http://www.ahlmans.com/duracoat.html
Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #2123
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Pump shotguns aren't normally known for their future value, but they're a great work horse... Keep it oiled, if it rusts, call it patina

My son has a Taurus clown pistol that puts a smile on everyones face when they shoot it. It takes .45 LC, .454 Cassull and .410 ga..... .45 and .454 penetrate too much in a house, but .410 in a pistol would be one fine personal defense round. Just something else to consider.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #2124
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
Check these guys out. At least to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. They are local to me and their gunsmithing is excellent.

http://www.ahlmans.com/duracoat.html
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Pump shotguns aren't normally known for their future value, but they're a great work horse... Keep it oiled, if it rusts, call it patina

My son has a Taurus clown pistol that puts a smile on everyones face when they shoot it. It takes .45 LC, .454 Cassull and .410 ga..... .45 and .454 penetrate too much in a house, but .410 in a pistol would be one fine personal defense round. Just something else to consider.
Future value isn't something I'm necessarily interested in. That all said - I'm also peeking at the new VersaMax semi-auto from remingotn.

They've got a 22" model that's intriguing...just don't know if I want to spend that much money.....choice, choices....
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #2125
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Thanks!

Future value isn't something I'm necessarily interested in. That all said - I'm also peeking at the new VersaMax semi-auto from remingotn.

They've got a 22" model that's intriguing...just don't know if I want to spend that much money.....choice, choices....
A shotgun doesn't have to be dedicated to SD... get something you can use if you decide to go hunting, and keep it loaded with 00 at home. You might enjoy skeet. (just making the decision more confusing... you're welcome LOL)

A buddy melted wax in some 12ga. #7 shot shells..... shot a car hood with it, it went in like a slug and came out the back like #7. Excellent defense loading but it would sure make a mess
Old 10-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #2126
Ghost1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
I own a Remington 870 Express Tactical and I love it. Great range shotgun, I haven't been out skeet shooting with it yet, but I plan on doing so in December.

Great gun and compared to my buddy's Mossberg it's hands down much better in the ways of quality and durability, so I can't see you having better luck with the Mossberg.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #2127
Scrappy Doo

Quote:
Thanks!

Ive got a Benelli SBE II I'm looking to get rid of....

Been fired 9 times in 3 years. Not kidding.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 AM   #2128
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
If you want a firearm that will last longer than you, go wtih the 870. There are nicer pumps out there like the benelli super nova, but for reliability there is no comparison to the 870 imo.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro gun