Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #43
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
You're not straining the supply when you had far too much supply before. The price of corn hasn't gone up much, and its effect on general food prices is just not much to begin with. All the energy that goes into processing, producing, and distributing food, OTOH, has gotten way more expensive.
Actually we are straining the corn crop and you are wrong if you think it is not effecting prices. Corn is used in multiple products such as corn syrup which is used in almost everything as a sweetner, it is in our cereals and a million other items. Last time I looked there were over 45 countries with riots due to the high cost of corn products in their countries.
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #44
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I wish we had more E85. E85 is cheaper than ordinary gas, and getting enough of it would make demand for gas go down, lowering the price of ordinary gas at the same time. I wish we could synthesize it without using so much corn.
Actually right know I can buy ethanol for about $2.79 gal, only problem is the gas mileage drops from about 16-17 miles a gallon down to 11, so even though it is cheaper I really only save about 8-10 bucks every 300 miles.
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #45
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
There was a thing on the news tonight about turning coal into gasoline. Apparently other countries do this and gas cost to them is about $12.00 a barrel to make. I don't know what it costs to make gas from crude, but even with a large markup I don't think it's cheaper than $12 a barrel.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #46
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
Actually we are straining the corn crop and you are wrong if you think it is not effecting prices. Corn is used in multiple products such as corn syrup which is used in almost everything as a sweetner, it is in our cereals and a million other items. Last time I looked there were over 45 countries with riots due to the high cost of corn products in their countries.
And Mexican farmers protested the importing of cheap corn grown in Canada and the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
There was a thing on the news tonight about turning coal into gasoline. Apparently other countries do this and gas cost to them is about $12.00 a barrel to make. I don't know what it costs to make gas from crude, but even with a large markup I don't think it's cheaper than $12 a barrel.
The Germans were doing that as far back as WWII, half the fuel used by their airforce was derived from coal.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #47
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
lol. It has gotten a bit off topic but since nobody here knows the answer to the original question, I guess it's a pretty good discussion. Dragoneye, you don't know, do you?? lol...
Not for sure. All I know, is that it would be advantageous to make the car a flexfuel vehicle, especially one in a "dying" market (psh)...and when we sent our input to the disciples in May, E85 capability was on the list.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #48
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
Actually we are straining the corn crop and you are wrong if you think it is not effecting prices.
What part of "farmers aren't getting much more money for their corn" don't you understand? What part of "farmers aren't making more profit, which is what they'd do if price went up due to demand, because they're spending all that money on petroleum-based fertilizer, energy for their operation, and fuel for their equipment" don't you understand? The small amount of increase in price that the farmers are getting is not as much as their increase in energy costs to make it. Demand hasn't increased price, cost has increased price.

Quote:
Corn is used in multiple products such as corn syrup which is used in almost everything as a sweetner, it is in our cereals and a million other items. Last time I looked there were over 45 countries with riots due to the high cost of corn products in their countries.
"Partially hydrogenated corn syrup", yes, I'm familiar with it. It's in the ingredients list of almost every sweet food and non-diet soda in the US. However, it's just not a big enough part, and the price of corn has not risen enough, to have a big effect on the packaged food product price. Now, the energy that goes into shipping the corn to the processing plant, processing the corn into partially hydrogenated corn syrup, shipping the other ingredients' materials, the energy required for making the other ingredients, the energy required to ship all the processed ingredients, the energy required to make food out of those processed ingredients, the energy required to pack it, the energy required to ship it, and the energy required to store it...that adds up pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Yup, old technology, kept down possibly by cost to develop and possibly by collusive behavior in the energy industry. Also, a new method has been discovered to make gasoline from wood scraps and tires:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3846
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #49
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
You can make fuel out of anything organic, it is just a matter of how much and cost in energey put in to energy resulted.

Now back to the Topic here.

I would place money that there will be a flex-fuel Camaro the first year, let me restate that, first model year as in when the vert comes out. The main differance here is just, fuel tank, lines, a sensor, and computer program.

I also have a feeling that the new Gen V engines will be the start of bringing back higher compression engines to better use E85 and other alcohol fuels.

And with all of this is why I love old cars and engines with no computer controls. When the time comes that all gas stations will be required to sell E85, my truck (with a compression already of 13:1) will require just a few turns of a screw driver and will run great on E85.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #50
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
does e85 actually make the mpg's better??? and is it cheaper those are the only two things the actual consumers care about

the environment green argument is a load of baloney
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #51
Mr. Wyndham

There is some truth to the environmental argument...trouble is, it's gotten blown out of proportion.

E85 drops mileage approxomately 35%. But it is also cheaper...so there's a balance that needs to be looked at. In most cases, it's worth it.
:seesaw:
Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #52
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
There is some truth to the environmental argument...trouble is, it's gotten blown out of proportion.

E85 drops mileage approxomately 35%. But it is also cheaper...so there's a balance that needs to be looked at. In most cases, it's worth it.
:seesaw:
so you get less mpg with e85...

ok gm don't waste money on this...its a losing effort

this global warming stuff is going be looked at like y2k in short time...invest in fuel cells instead
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #53
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
The main differance here is just, fuel tank, lines, a sensor, and computer program.
What has to be different about the tank?

Also, you forgot compression ratio, if you want to be efficient with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
Yes, in vehicles that are not optimized for it (pretty much every vehicle on the road). Maybe not in vehicles that are.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #54
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Whoa hold them horses.

E85 causes a reduction of 35% But it is proven that a E35 (in some cars) can increase MPG by 35% So, it has a lot to do with the ratio of ethanol. The problem is the best ratio is different for different engines.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #55
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post

ok gm don't waste money on this...its a losing effort
No, it's not. It's a quickly-applicable idea that can help offset our gasoline usage. Not replace it by any means, but it can make a sizeable dent.

Like I said, it's worth it despite the mileage decreases. Because the price differences are still great enough to merit a $$ savings when you use E85.

And yet, there's still another angle to this. Flex fuel vehicles can run on any blend of Ethanol and gasoline up to 85% ethanol...and recent tests have shown that certain mixtures (something like ~E30) will actually yeild better mileage than pure gasoline. So, in the next few years, there will be a significant increase in ethanol production levels (from cellulosic ethanol plant startups). You think it would be a good idea for GM to abandon a minor ~$200 modification to vehicles, only to risk getting caught with their pants down if ethanol becomes a major player?

Besides, widespread use of fuel cells is still one to two decades out...very risky focusing on and investing a ton of capital into something that "unstable" (no pun intended ).

In any event, I think GM above all the other companies is in the best place to pull ahead in the alternative fuels 'segment'. They've got their fingers in everything; deisel, ethanol, HCCI, Hybrids, All electric drive, Hydrogen....if any one of these takes off, GM has some footing to run with it.

EDIT: oops. my bad, gtahvit.....dumb long messages and the time it takes to write them.....
Old 07-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #56
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
It's all good, I finally beat you to the punch

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote