Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Android based Head Unit on a Boston Acoustic equipped Camaro?

I am very interested in purchasing this head unit:

https://www.amazon.com/32GB-OCTA-Cor...T7VC87G5GBYXTX

Question is, will this work in my Camaro that has the factory Boston Acoustic amp/system installed?

I currently Have a Kenwood Excelon DNN990HD installed, and also the first version of the Scosche Touchscreen Climate Control kit. I have the steering wheel & Onstar module/adapter as well. I am running factory speakers and BA amp. I do not use XM/Sirius, so that is of no concern,

Reason I ask is that my Kenwood has died...thankfully. That was possibly the most unstable/buggy and SLOW head unit I have ever used. It finally kicked the bucket and I am thankful for that.

If this is possible, what if any extra parts would I need? It looks like whoever installed the Kenwood did NOT use any type of harness. It all was done with butt/crimp connectors.

Sorry if I left anything critical out. I used to be pretty good at this type of stuff, but that is before modern automotive electronics and CANBUS hit the scene.

Thanks in advance!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 10-15-2017 at 08:29 AM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:51 AM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
It's a double din head unit so it should work with the Scosche or Metra kits without issue. It should have the exact same connections (for audio output, etc) on it as the Kenwood did.

That said, it is an android based head unit. Be very sure you're ready for the long boot times, wifi updates, etc. I only mention the long boot times because that is a complaint you had with the Kenwood. It's also really cheap.....so that would kinda scare me right off the bat.

Cut out the crimp connectors and connect the new radio to the Scosche harness wires using any method you see fit (crimp connectors, solder, etc) and roll on. The Scosche kit communicates with the Canbus so you wouldn't be messing with that.

Hope that helps.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:09 AM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
It's a double din head unit so it should work with the Scosche or Metra kits without issue. It should have the exact same connections (for audio output, etc) on it as the Kenwood did.

That said, it is an android based head unit. Be very sure you're ready for the long boot times, wifi updates, etc. I only mention the long boot times because that is a complaint you had with the Kenwood. It's also really cheap.....so that would kinda scare me right off the bat.

Cut out the crimp connectors and connect the new radio to the Scosche harness wires using any method you see fit (crimp connectors, solder, etc) and roll on. The Scosche kit communicates with the Canbus so you wouldn't be messing with that.

Hope that helps.
The boot times on my Kenwood would sometimes exceed 3 minutes... I have arrived at the store or my home from local places before my Kenwood would even boot. It was infuriating.

That puts me at ease a bit. Almost all of these Android units are super cheap (all Chinese brands). That one is actually on the more expensive side for this type.

Thank you!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
Old 09-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have a rebranded version of that same Android unit in my Suburban. I'm pretty happy with it. Even while the radio is booting up, the radio and back up camera function. I'll never go back to the big name brands. These Android units are far more versatile.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Well, the install is all done...finally!

What a PITA that was. But the payoff was so worth it. It sounds amazing through the BA amp/speakers.

The features of these head units are freakin' incredible. One of my favorite things is how I now have DashCommand and Torque OBDII apps right in my dash via bluetooth. Having an 8 core tablet in what now looks like a factory install is fantastic. It is working flawlessly with my Scosche climate control. Steering wheel controls, Onstar, side, front, and rear cameras are working great. Boot time is super quick as well.

Now I need to find a good launcher for it. But I am also considering flashing a new ROM as the Android XDA has tons of support and mods for these type of units. Best $300 I have spent in a while.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #6
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Pics, pics, pics......
Old 09-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Pics, pics, pics......
Lol, I knew that was coming. I will get some uploaded in the morning.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:42 AM   #8
oldschoolkat

Drives: 2013 SS Camaro
Nice...This one is supposed to have fast boot....thinking about making a purchase too:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M69Q4N..._jC5WzbDV022Z6

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
oldschoolkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #9
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Well, the install is all done...finally!

What a PITA that was. But the payoff was so worth it. It sounds amazing through the BA amp/speakers.

The features of these head units are freakin' incredible. One of my favorite things is how I now have DashCommand and Torque OBDII apps right in my dash via bluetooth. Having an 8 core tablet in what now looks like a factory install is fantastic. It is working flawlessly with my Scosche climate control. Steering wheel controls, Onstar, side, front, and rear cameras are working great. Boot time is super quick as well.

Now I need to find a good launcher for it. But I am also considering flashing a new ROM as the Android XDA has tons of support and mods for these type of units. Best $300 I have spent in a while.

Thanks for the info guys.
What was the PITA part?
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #10
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
What was the PITA part?
Switching over the wiring. It wasn't at all hard. Just tedious. The person who installed the Kenwood did a piss-poor job of keeping the wiring somewhat clean. It looked like a birds nest.

I cleaned it up a lot and used zip ties to keep like wires bundled together and keep the power and ACC isolated from the speaker wires.

*To anyone considering this, keep in mind you MAY have to trim your faceplate a little bit. These are not your standard double-din. They are slightly oversized. If I had to do it again, I would use a file. The dremel is a bit too overpowering for this. Not as precise as I would have liked. My Scosche now has a little tiny gap on the right side. Some people would not care about this, but I am super anal and will most certainly try and buy a new face plate for the Scosche and make it more precise.

Before you order, check and double check your measurements.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #11
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Thanks for the response.

I currently have an Alpine INA W910 in the first style Scosche kit. I am thinking of replacing it with an Android unit.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote