Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)

Drives: A Mobile Road Block
Toyota Calls IIHS Top Safety Pick Results "Extreme And Misleading"

Sounds like the Massive Toyota Spin Machine Is starting to show its miles.

http://jalopnik.com/5407606/toyota-c...and-misleading

GM, WILL SURVIVE AND WILL BE BETTER THAN EVER.

2011 Camaro SS (6-Speed) w/RS Package. Its Great to be back in Black and a Chevy Again.

----------------------------
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Let's break this down for summary.

Toyota claims that the Camry should be a Top Safety Pick except for whiplash and rear crash tests. In order to correct what Toyota all but calls a massive mistake, Toyota would rather only test the front and sides of the car from impact.

Toyota then backs off of its front and sides argument by complaining that the company's products exceed federal guidelines despite failing IIHS guidelines. All of the other manufacturers exceed the even more difficult IIHS guidelines, but Toyota argues that the standard should be lower. How does this help Toyota? All of the other cars are still that much better.

The response also points out that 11 products built by Toyota brands made the list in 2009, but 0 made it in 2010. I wonder if this relates to the largest recall in US history. Who recalled 3.8 million vehicles again? I can't seem to remember. It rhymes with Soyota.

The response advertises the Star Safety System, a Toyota standard on all cars, but fails to explain what this system does that makes it superior to any generic safety system. It is also worth pointing out that all automakers have some name for their safety systems. In all honest, they are all pretty much the same. Your Star Airbag is the same as my average GM airbag, but my ratings suggest that I'm less likely to experience whiplash.

Finally, Toyota concludes that the IIHS is "one of many" sources of ratings. That's really easy to say when you're not on their list, but we can count on Toyota to name all of the other sources—biased or not—that raise Toyota products to the top of the list.

In conclusion, Toyotas are dangerous and refuse to admit it. This terrifying press release reveals the unwillingness of Toyota to accept defeat. I hope and pray that someone files a massive class action lawsuit for issues ranging from damages for the death toll invariably caused by these products to fraud for the misleading nature of Toyota advertising. Where is Ralph Nader when we need someone to publish another book on the dangerous nature of a particular manufacturer? We really need to out them to the public in denial who all drive those generic Japanese heaps of garbage.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
returnofcc
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 VW GTI
VW FTW!!!!!!!! (Tied with Chrysler and Volvo)
returnofcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofcc View Post
VW FTW!!!!!!!! (Tied with Chrysler and Volvo)
With all due respect to all 3 brands that you posted, that has nothing to do with Toyota all but lying about how great their cars are.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
returnofcc
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
With all due respect to all 3 brands that you posted, that has nothing to do with Toyota all but lying about how great their cars are.
Lol, yea, I thought I was going to be the first poster, so I jumped in to make a VW comment before everyone else got here, but you beat me to it.
As for Toyota, it sounds like they are being sore losers. Not that I really care, the only Toyota I like is the Lexus ISF...
returnofcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
LOL so a tie with Chrysler is now a reason to cheer?

I read that article and the rebuttal from the IIHS. Someone else said this so I'm going to misquote him- but Toyota really is making the same mistakes GM made in the 80s and 90s from the PR point of view. Toyota still had unexpectedly good earnings, but it definitely seems public opinion is starting to trend downward. I don't think it's accurate to say Toyota makes bad cars, but I think they're pretty average in today's market (ie "nothing special") and people had them on a pedestal they don't deserve.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
"extreme and misleading"....they would call it that.

I would agree, Mr. Icky, Toyota's are "nothing special". But it is particularly of note that their vehicles have been steadily degrading in quality and value ever since they've grown large enough to seriously compete for the #1 crown. Toyota's been "lurking" in the shadows, effectively for a very long time....now, they are on top (or close to it)...and the spotlight reveals alllll.....
Old 11-20-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
It had become almost the 'In' thing and popular to talk good about Toyota. Made me sick.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
The Star safety system makes the owner more aware of traffic patterns as he has to be prepared for uncontrolled accelleration. Burning brakes also second as warning flares.
derklug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
bluestang50
Account Suspended

Drives: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
It had become almost the 'In' thing and popular to talk good about Toyota. Made me sick.
+1
bluestang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
My hatred for the creators of the Prius is further justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote