Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #71
GenetX
NUTRITION, INC

Drives: 2SSRS REVOLUTIONSS
OK some light on the issue. I took off the boot from inside the car and looked in. the bottom cover is off and flapping around hitting everything when I shift. Without getting under the car any ideas how to grab it and put it back on as a temp fix till tuesday when the MGW gets in?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #72
GenetX
NUTRITION, INC

Update. Somehow managed to boot the boot back on from the inside of the car without going under, works fine wasn't the shifter at all, but I'm still switching to MGW. I'll keep everyone posted with the differences that I notice
Old 11-06-2010, 06:05 AM   #73
2quick

Drives: none
Great news.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #74
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
You mean the boot that covers the linkage!? How the hell did you get that back on from inside the car?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #75
Dan@BMRacing

Drives: 2004 Nissan 350Z
I work for B&M/Hurst, and what I will say here will likely shock a few...

Both MGW and Hurst make great shifters. There's a slight difference in philosophy but you can't go wrong with either. Like I said, I work for B&M/Hurst...

Let's get a few things straight first. If your Hurst shifter has a lot of slop in any gear, it's not installed right. You can swap for whatever shifter, if it's not correctly installed it's going to have noise/vibration/slop issues. If your Hurst shifter is sloppy in a few gears and swapping it for MGW fixed the issue, it's not because MGW is better engineered or uses better product. It is simply because the original installer that installed the Hurst unit wrong, and in replacing the carrier arm (MGW design) resulted in "fixing" the poor installation.

There are plenty of Hurst shifter installation videos. If you did the installation yourself, PLEASE make sure to take note. If you didn't install it yourself, send the link of the video to your installer and make sure all the steps are followed properly. We've installed plenty of units at our TechCenter out back and no one has ever complained of sloppy shifter (that I know of) on the cars that we personally worked on.

The main difference between MGW and Hurst, and let's just get this out there to end this argument once and for all, is that MGW build their unit with the carrier arm while the Hurst does not. When we were working with GM to supply their OEM option, we were given detailed schematics and multiple samples of the transmission and carrier arm, and after extensive modeling, research, and testing cycles on our automatic shifter tester, it was determined that replacing the OEM two forked carrier arm offers very little benefit in the overall feel and would require significantly more time to install, unless it's done on the assembly line. The only benefit to a new carrier arm design would be the opportunity to replace the soft OEM rubber bushing. We felt that with our significant throw reduction and spherical bearing design, stiffening the factory bushing would result in too much noise and vibration transmitted through to the cabin. So in the end, the aftermarket unit we offer uses the factory carrier arm, and we felt as a compromise it works well with our aggressive throw reduction.

MGW's shifter is very well engineered. I'm not going to sit here and bash our competitors. They spent just as much time and money engineering their product. And from the responses here, it's obvious that MGW owners are passionate about their product, and so are Hurst product owners. That is a very good sign, that both companies put out great products that illicit very strong emotional responses.

So after that LOOOOOONG winded post. All I am going to say, is IF you have an opportunity, see if any local enthusiast has one or the other unit currently installed, ask if you can tried both of them out, and make a decision based on your own assessment. At the end of the day, I am confident that you will be happy with one or the other. There are things that WE do better than MGW, ad there are things they do "different" and maybe better than us.
Dan@BMRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #76
DocHolliday

Drives: '14 Blade Silver Z51
Well said Dan...that siad I love my MGW and the customer service George provides is second to none. As you have and will continue to see...whatever sifter someone has is typically going to be the "best" in their opinion.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #77
GenetX
NUTRITION, INC

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
You mean the boot that covers the linkage!? How the hell did you get that back on from inside the car?

I took the dust boot off from the inside of the car. Then I used two thin long hook tools and was somehow able to hook them from both sides of the shifter and move it around till it secured back on. Ask me to do it again and I swear I won't be able to. I think the camaro gods felt my sadness and love for my car lol and in turn gave me some sort of installation power.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #78
GenetX
NUTRITION, INC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2quick View Post
Great news.
hell yeah... saves me $80 towing the car. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #79
Bad Dad

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS , 2011 C6 Base Corvette
MGW WITH RACE HANDLE

SUICIDE BY RACECAR
Bad Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #80
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I tested the Hurst and the Barton back to back at the last car show I was at.
I always thought I was going to get a Hurst, but after trying them back to back, I decided I'd rather have the Barton. It feels smoother, crisper and I like the larger knob, not to mention that the height is adjustable to get just the right feel. And it's a very reasonable price!
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #81
2quick

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenetX View Post
hell yeah... saves me $80 towing the car. Thanks for the help.

No problem i try to help anyone. My product or not. I'm just a car guy trying to help other car guys out.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #82
Robbie1227

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28/2016 Jeep Sahara
I can vouch for LSR!
They have a great short throw shifter.
Tight fit, short throw, firm shifts, 2" solid ball, awesome!!
2015 summit white Z28 #120 TRK DAY
-Sun-Tek PPF-C protection film on 2/3 of the car, Moreno Camber plates, American Racing 2" ceramic coated LT headers and X-pipes with No Cats, Taylor red performance wires, NGK plugs, BTR Stage III Cam, MSD Atomic intake, Nick Williams 102mm throttle body, Stage 2 CNC Ported Heads by WCCH, MGW short throw shifter, oil catch can, and a dyno tune to get me to 587 RWHP and 516 RWTQ

GONE:
2013 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks headers and CAT delete, ATI damper and 10% pulley and balancer!
Results: 576 RWHP - 540 RWTQ
Robbie1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #83
Bama_SIM_Cam
QuickSilver

Drives: LS SIM Stick
Love my Barton. Height is adjustable. Great feel. Solid construction. White cue ball, very old school. Reasonable cost.
Attached Images

Bama_SIM_Cam ~ Oneonta, Alabama
Bama_SIM_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #84
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
nice!
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote