Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

View Poll Results: Take the boy hunting or wait another year?
Take him bird hunting. Let him experience bird hunting. 31 77.50%
Wait another year. He's too young. 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Hunting - What Age is Appropriate to Introduce Kids?

What age do you guys think it would be appropriate to introduce bird hunting to a child?

I go hunting (or at least try to go hunting) every year down at my brothers place. He is a Game Warden and as you all know, I'm with the PD. Gun safety is not the issue here that I'm bringing up. He won't be shooting. He'll just be watching and going with us as we get our limit.

The issue I have is that of kids experiencing first hand seeing birds being shot. The loss of life. I know that some might bring up maturity in the matter. "Age does not matter if they are mature enough to understand the loss of life and why a person hunts."

Last year, my 6 year old (5 at the time) begged to go with us when we went bird hunting. I had to tell him no and that he was too young. I didn't want him to experience seeing death and the like. But, for kicks, I asked him about it a few weeks ago. I asked him why we hunt. He said, "for food." I asked him if we kill for fun. He said, "no way." I asked him what we use of the animal we hunt. He said, "as much of it as we can." By now, I'm like...you've got to be kidding me. It seems he understands all of this stuff...

I explain to him that we hunt for food...and for population control...and that we pay for hunting licenses where the money for the licenses go to help pay for Game Wardens who help protect all animals and put away bad guys who poach them. I explain that the money pays for programs for kids fishing experiences, to help save other endangered animals, etc.... for SO many things.

Every question I've asked and every thing I can come up with, he seems to understand. My only problem is the whole "death experience thing." I've even explained that he knows that the bird DIES. And he says, "I know. I understand. It was living and now dies....just like the chicken we eat, the cows we eat, all that stuff."

So...

Is he still too young to come with us to watch us bird hunt? Should I wait another year? I just don't know. Is this something that's going to mess him up?

All these questions are going through my mind. I want to him to experience this and have fun...and enjoy what we enjoy. But, I don't want to screw him up and have him watch us shoot a bird and start crying and all....ugh..that would be bad.

He is only 6. But, he's a VERY smart 6 year old. He really does understand. Should I wait another year? Take him now?

Any input or suggestions would be welcome.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Voted. I know when I was a kid I enjoyed all the time I spent with my dad, regardless of the activity. Think of it as father-son bonding, at the very least.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I miss clicked, let him go- teach him how to clean the birds too- If he loves that than you know he'll be interested.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I say take him hunting. He's eager to go, he's "getting" the consequence is the bird dies, mom cooks a great supper and celebrates her baby boy becoming a man. Dad beams with pride, kid feels good about his self and grows up well-adjusted. Nothing not good about that, great family relations there.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Its a tough call, and its all down to you. I have a cousin that was in a similar situation. He was in the 5th grade and really wanted to go deer hunting, finally went.... shot a doe, and afterwords.... really wish he didn't. He's in 7th grade now, went hunting a bit this year for the first time since then... probably should have waited a bit longer.

Its great you and him want to get out there though and do it. My mom's side of the family are all big hunters (live in florida though). My mom despises any weapons. My dad somewhat likes them, but has no interest in hunting. Me, I got interested in it in high school.... but never had anyone to take me out and teach me anything. I've never bird hunted myself, although I enjoy skeet shooting. I've really learned to like small game hunting actually.... the lack of a truck makes deer hard to haul home (and no, I'm not draping one across the hood of the camaro).
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Dove hunting was something I grew up with and my son did just fine at my side at that age... it's a great learning experience for kids and birds are the perfect into to hunting. Once he could handle a 4.10 he went through safety training and shot his first bird at 11.

I wouldn't think twice about it... great experience for both of you and you'll get to teach him even more about gun safety, That stuff really sinks in the yournger they are..
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
I grew up hunting for food (it was needed to survive). And went to slaughterhouse with 4-H and saw the whole process of a cow becomes a steak. I think I turned out ok lol!!

Im sure I was only 6 or 7...
Redemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Go ahead, he sounds like a smart kid. If he was out in the backyard drowning puppies then we might have a problem, but it sounds like he has a pretty good grasp on the legit reasons for hunting.

That's something that I never got to experience simply because there really aren't many places in my area to hunt in. Really wish I had the chance though.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Seneca SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS --
take them when ever they are interested--my grandson shot his first elk at 12

Horse Power is where its at !!!!!
Seneca SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Just don't do what my parents did.. openly flaunt their fear of firearms and cutlery.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Teach him if YOU think he is responsible enough. My dad taught me how to drive "manual transmission too, just been a while so I probably can't that well anymore" when I turned 13, but didn't teach my sister until a week before she got her permit. It is whenever you feel is right
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
the Kolektor
Patiently waiting....

Drives: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I think it would be a wise decision to take him, let you to bond and teach him at the same time. Were you planning on having him shoot?? or just be there??

EDIT: After re-reading your post it seems just being there is the current plan. As for the whole "death" thing, he seems to have a firm grasp on the idea of death and what actually happens. I think he would be fine to go.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
no shooting....not yet
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm pretty sure you're good.

As awful as it might sound, watching a bird fall out of the sky is a lot less intense than a large animal like a deer...or even people (not hunting people...it's just a point. ).

Besides, there's nothing that can prepare him for the death aspect except for the real thing. Waiting really won't help that very much.