Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #225
Combover

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Something has changed my car's HSA characteristics since new - I just did a fair amount of back-to-back-to-back driving with my other MT cars and my driving style on hills with the Camaro is the same as the other non-HSA cars. My Camaro used to wait the full two seconds or jerk rather violently if I overcame the brake pressure with throttle. Now it is way more civilized and releases the brakes with the combination of clutch and throttle. I have no explanation for the change.

Last edited by Combover; 06-08-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Combover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #226
SSRS1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Install took about an hour. Getting the center console apart is a little bit of a pain. There's a good thread that has a lot of pictures on how to get the console apart for a different mod. I used that as a guide for disassembly: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77662

Once I had it disassembled, the Yaw-Sensor was bolted to the floor to the left of the hand-brake. I just removed and replaced.

As for truly knowing it only affects HSA, I suppose more time and data will be needed. From my observations, that the car starts with no warning lights or error messages (unlike the fuse-pull method I tried before). Hill Assist message never appears, and HSA never activates. Traction Control still kicks in under aggressive throttle, and ABS still works.

Thoroughly testing Stabilitrak would require somewhere other than the street I think. Maybe one of the track-regulars could give it a go, and post their findings.

Oh, and OzzySS, I'm still curious about the method you used to defeat HSA along with other electronic nannies as well.

Modifications: HSA Elimination - Cold Air Inductions Intake
Solo Performance Mach Cat Back - Skip-Shift Eliminator

Last edited by SSRS1LE; 06-08-2013 at 05:20 AM.
SSRS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #227
Combover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS1LE View Post
Install took about an hour. There's a good thread that has a lot of pictures on how to get the console apart for a different mod. I used that as a guide for disassembly: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77662

Once I had it disassembled to that point, there was a plastic bracket underneath that had two screws in the back holding it to the floor. The Yaw-Sensor is under that.

As for truly knowing it only affects HSA, I suppose more time and data will be needed. From my observations, that the car starts with no warning lights or error messages (unlike the fuse-pull method I tried before). Hill Assist message never appears, and HSA never activates. Traction Control still kicks in under aggressive throttle, and ABS still works.

Thoroughly testing Stabilitrak would require somewhere other than the street I think. Maybe one of the track-regulars could give it a go, and post their findings.

Oh, and OzzySS, I'm still curious about the method you used to defeat HSA along with other electronic nannies as well.
Thanks a bunch
Old 06-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #228
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Quote:
Install took about an hour. Getting the center console apart is a little bit of a pain. There's a good thread that has a lot of pictures on how to get the console apart for a different mod. I used that as a guide for disassembly: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77662

Once I had it disassembled, the Yaw-Sensor was bolted to the floor to the left of the hand-brake. I just removed and replaced.

Good to see initial indications are positive! Awesome

My uh..."disable method" involved a drill...

OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #229
SSRS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzySS View Post
Good to see initial indications are positive! Awesome

My uh..."disable method" involved a drill...
Okay now I'm really intrigued. lol

I have posted a DIY article for the sensor replacement here:

DIY: Disable 2013 HSA (Hill Start Assist)

Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #230
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Now I assume you thought of this. And maybe the fact that the A6 doesn't use the same sensor. Is there any chance that it needs the longitudinal sensor for some thing like the stability control or some other system I know little about?

Just wondering.

Though it does sound like an easy enough project.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #231
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Take in an autocross in the rain. Unlike NASCAR or the dragstrip, autocrosses don't get postponed or cancelled because of a little rain.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #232
SSRS1LE

I took apart the original sensor for those interested in seeing the guts.

There doesn't seem to be any moving parts that can easily be modified. I think some folks were expecting to see a giant pendulum that you could duct-tape in place. lol

Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #233
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Very cool! Thanks for being the pioneer in trying this work around! Definitely keep us updated on the observations of how it's working!

Nice detective work on finding a promising solution!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #234
Combover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Very cool! Thanks for being the pioneer in trying this work around! Definitely keep us updated on the observations of how it's working!
+1
Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #235
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I wonder how long any GM Engineers on the board have thought about the exact same possibility given that they would have probably known the YAW sensors were different between the manuals and autos. But I know they can't come on here and post the suggestion because of liability reasons. But I'm sure they were sitting back and eating popcorn waiting for someone to figure this out!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #236
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I wonder how long any GM Engineers on the board have thought about the exact same possibility given that they would have probably known the YAW sensors were different between the manuals and autos. But I know they can't come on here and post the suggestion because of liability reasons. But I'm sure they were sitting back and eating popcorn waiting for someone to figure this out!

You know there were some phones ringing so they could figure out who won the office pool... lol
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #237
Allgrey

Drives: '13 AGM/1SS/1LE/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Okay now I'm really intrigued. lol

I have posted a DIY article for the sensor replacement here:

DIY: Disable 2013 HSA (Hill Start Assist)

So now for about $100 I can disable both of the ridiculous nannies (hsa and skip shift). Sweet. Honestly, the skip shift thing is okay by me because it's easy to disable and gas guzzler tax is much more expensive. The hsa though... occasionally I take advantage of it, but I am often annoyed by it rather than helped. However, I must admit, at 2700 miles it seems to be less intrusive than when the car was new. Either I'm used to it now, or it has calibrated itself.
Allgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #238
Combover

Waiting for the thread that says "Disable HSA for free in one hour" ---> disassemble console, remove sensor from floor, open sensor unit, cut wire lead x on circuit board, close sensor unit, reattach sensor to floor, reassemble console.

Thanks, SSR!