Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-02-2014, 11:48 PM   #1
GMUSA#1

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
20x11's on front to complement the 20X11's in rear of 1LE.

Just a thought here. I know what Al Oppenheiser did to perfect the 1LE, one example of detail: by installing the 285/35/20 in rear to help under-steer. So would it be possible with out compromising what Al has perfected by adding that 20X11 in the front and say for the sake of it install 305's all aroun, or keep the 285's...this would allow the ability to rotate the rim/tire from to back with out having to unmount the tire to rotate the tire. Just a thought. I am trying to think of a way to at a minimum to keep the tires being rotated to get max wear out of them with having to continually have to unmount/mount the tires to achieve this. Sorry if this has been discussed before. Other things to note. Does the bolt pattern in the rear match the front. If not, my post is mute. If they do, is it feasible? Which would mean buying two new 20X11 for the front. Any thoughts or Ideas? I reviewed Al Oppenheiser's reason for the 285's in the rear, and If I heard him correctly,he didn't want to much tire patch in the rear to take out understeer, so rule out the 305's, but would the 20X11's in the front with the 285's make any difference allowing the owner(I like many of you perform my own tire rotations) to be able to rotate F to R etc...that's my question. Does that one inch make that much difference in the front. No I am not thinking anatomically here, i know that answer LoL!!

Peace!!

Brent
GMUSA#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:55 AM   #2
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
I'd get away from the term perfected. Driver and driving conditions dictate what a perfect setup is

Going from lets say a 285 rear to a 295 rear is only going to be impactful or noticeable by maybe 5% of all forum members. Basically an advanced or elite driver

What your trying to do is come up with a way to make the tires last, unfortunately they weren't designed to last very long.

The one extra inch up front is only going to make a difference on a track driven by an experienced driver. The guys like me who are weekenders a couple times a year won't notice or be effected.

Just get some Michelin p/s 3 that last 40k miles and be done with it.

Bolt patterns are the same
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:14 AM   #3
GMUSA#1

Thanks for the reply MSMALL143, i guess the point i was making is I would like to be able to rotate my rim/tires with out unmounting/mounting ($) to keep even wear on tires. Not to mention taking the chance to Fubar a rim, I guess that doesn't make since in an economical world. It does in mine. This is not sarcasm with the utmost respect!...just thinking out loud here. If you properly take care of your tires(tire pressure, aliagnment etc, and don't track, you can get good mileage from these tires, been there done that. I have exceeded the tire mileage and warranty on High performance tires by logical common since. I guess I am out of my league here because money is no issue here on this forum...LoL

Your advise is well received and makes total since. Appreciate the advice...really!!

Peace,

Bremt
Old 01-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
SSRS1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
My concern would be possible rubbing during turns, or bumps.

You could test at least the turning part by swapping one of your rears to the front and checking the clearance with the wheels turned.

The other thing would be the aesthetics. The tires would probably stick out past the fender a little. The upcoming Z/28 has 305s on the front, but the fenders are flared to compensate.

Certainly wouldn't hurt to test-fit though. Take pictures if you do.

Modifications: HSA Elimination - Cold Air Inductions Intake
Solo Performance Mach Cat Back - Skip-Shift Eliminator
SSRS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
I seem to recall a problem where people mistakenly try to mount the rear rim on the front. You can try that yourself to see how much clearance there is with a 285 and calc the difference of a 305.
And I am pretty sure the fronts will fit the back if you want symmetry.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:17 AM   #6
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
I've heard the rear don't fit on the fronts, thats why they had to do a 19x11 on the Z/28. 20x11s don't fit. However you could buy 2 10" fronts and mount them on the rear
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
I don't believe it will work because the front & rear rims have a different offset.
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #8
jvoisel

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6

Put the rear wheels on the front and drive it around. If all is well, buy two more 20x11s.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
GMUSA#1

Thanks everyone for the input....like i said, it was a brain fart. I have 4 yrs of free oil changes(not sure that I will participate in it due to possible dealership's mishap's and 4 years of free rotation, not sure that includes unmount/mount and then balance, road force balancing of course) as part of my purchase(the deal they made to sell! the car). They just installed a Hunter tire installer/road force balance unit in 2013 that will go up to 26" in rim size! My GTO rim/tires were the first to be serviced on the Hunter. NO I didn't succumb to free coffee and Pepsi....LoL. I will admit that this dealership has been wonderful(Hendrick of Durham). I have a great service manager and several great Mech's and tire/rim tech. Know them bye person. They were able to get my GTO tires with NITTO's 555's(18" rims) down to 8 lbs of RF balancing where Discount Tire just stopped at 25 lbs(default as a balanced tire). I had the common front end shimmy that plagued the GTO's. I have dealing with them for 26+ yrs and still trust them even thought I am DIY person like many of you guy's. The tech(s) at Hendrick spent almost 3 hours to get my tire/rim combo to what I requested. To me that is true customer service, which it has been like that for the past 26+ yrs. Miaybe not for everybody in my area, but if the dealership can't resolve, I escalate to Regional Manager etc. until I get my way, and...the service dept. backs me up!

Peace,

Brent
Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #10
Wilsonation

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Vert
20x11's on front to complement the 20X11's in rear of 1LE.

Do not install the rear wheels on the front. They do not fit. Someone local to me that I haven't seen on c5 got his tires changed at sams club and they put one rear on the front and the car wouldn't move. Had to get it towed to the dealership. Of course the guys at sams club had no idea, they've never seen cars like these before.
10/28/13 TPW
11/2/13 Built and Bayed
11/7/13 Shipped
11/14/13 Brought home!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
Do not install the rear wheels on the front. They do not fit. Someone local to me that I haven't seen on c5 got his tires changed at sams club and they put one rear on the front and the car wouldn't move. Had to get it towed to the dealership. Of course the guys at sams club had no idea, they've never seen cars like these before.
But anyone who has worked on tires on ANY Gen5 "SS" or RS V6 should know they are different sizes.

I think the OP's best bet would be either to get same wheels for the rears same size as fronts as mentioned or a new set of same-sized rims that fit and just keep the originals for track days. But just remember our setup is for this wheel/tire combo.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
Sam's Club would be the last place I take my car.
RyanR3KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #13
GMUSA#1

Thanks everyone for the input and advice!! I know (or I think) that the Z/28 is running 305's on front but has '19 rims(will investigate the offsets on the various rims). With some of the concerns with the wheel paint, I think unmounting and mounting the tires and balancing(which may end up being a coast to me in the end) may yield it's ugly head, not sure. Well i think I'm at the end of the road of this thread. You guy's, you have given me plenty of Ideas and advice...much appriciated!!!! Thanks All!

Peace,

Brent
Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #14
Wilsonation

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR3KC View Post
Sam's Club would be the last place I take my car.

Lol right? I don't even know the kids name. I just know the guy who sold him the car. His pap bought him the 13 1LE when he graduated high school. And I also know the guy who put the wheels on wrong. Lol. I went to high school with him. It was ashen grey. This is the car, in the sams club garage:
10/28/13 TPW
11/2/13 Built and Bayed
11/7/13 Shipped
11/14/13 Brought home!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote