Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Lessons learned from the '05 Mustang...

A couple guys I know ordered the '05 retro-styled Mustang GT when it came out.
Both waited a long time for their vehicles for different reasons.

One guy placed his order with a dealer who already had several people ahead of him. Each month the dealer was notified by Ford of his allotment for GTs, and the dealer then could actually place some of the earlier orders with Ford. It was a few months before that dealer was allocated enough Mustang GTs to place that guy's order with Ford. The dealer didn't want to lose the sale, so never told him that his order wasn't actually placed with Ford yet. This could happen to you: dealers will only be able to place orders for Camaros with Chevrolet as they get allocations.

The other guy placed his order through a different dealer, who actually ordered his car with Ford without too much delay. However, the order was put on hold at Ford due to a shortage of part of an option package. Ford had anticipated that only 20% of Mustang buyers would order the MyColor gauges (speedo/tach/gauges lit in any of 125 different colors selectable by the driver) that came in the interior upgrade package (IUP), but instead almost everybody wanted it. All orders with the IUP option were put on hold due to shortage of the MyColor gauges. After a couple month delay, dealers were told to advise customers that their Mustang could be released to be scheduled for build if they would accept it without the MyColor gauges. Those who wanted to wait for the MyColor still had to wait. This could happen to you: if Chevy has underestimated the number of buyers who want a specific option, such as ambient lighting or something in the RS package.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
A couple guys I know ordered the '05 retro-styled Mustang GT when it came out.
Both waited a long time for their vehicles for different reasons.

The other guy placed his order through a different dealer, who actually ordered his car with Ford without too much delay. However, the order was put on hold at Ford due to a shortage of part of an option package. Ford had anticipated that only 20% of Mustang buyers would order the MyColor gauges (speedo/tach/gauges lit in any of 125 different colors selectable by the driver) that came in the interior upgrade package (IUP), but instead almost everybody wanted it. All orders with the IUP option were put on hold due to shortage of the MyColor gauges. After a couple month delay, dealers were told to advise customers that their Mustang could be released to be scheduled for build if they would accept it without the MyColor gauges. Those who wanted to wait for the MyColor still had to wait. This could happen to you: if Chevy has underestimated the number of buyers who want a specific option, such as ambient lighting or something in the RS package.
You make a good point, I had a Fiero on order for about 9 months when they first came out and I never took delivery because I had ordered to higher level trim with the alloy wheels and the supplier that built the wheels went bankrupt. I didn't want it without them, so after I said I no longer wanted it, the dealer changed the order to lower trim level with steel wheels and it was built in a week or two. Of course, I left the Pontiac dealer and then went and placed the order for my first HO Z28, so that worked out for me.....

I also had an experience with my IROC where about a week before it was built. It was ordered with the HO engine option, which had a four barrel on it. They stopped building them due to issue with fires under the sloped hood with the carb. I had to either switch to the TPI and the auto or step down to a 160 hp version (if my memory is any good after all these years). There were issues the Fiero and engine fires at one point as well.

I am not so concerned about the fire issues, GM is a lot more careful bringing things to market these days, but the suppliers are under the same if not greater pressure than GM itself, so that COULD (but there is by no means any certainty that there will be problems) get interesting....
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
seattlecamaroboy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
I was actually one of those people. I pre-release ordered my 05 Mustang GT from the dealer with the IUP (Interior Upgrade Package), and I'll one up you, I even ordered mine on A-Plan (not X-Plan, Ford Employee direct relative pricing). I not only was able to find a dealer that would accept my A-Plan certificate on a car that was commanding $5,000-$10,000 premiums over MSRP, but everything went smoothly and I had the first GT that year in the Seattle area. Now mind you, I made them take my deposit when I went in to pre-order it, I did intense amounts of research to know the ordering process, and to get the dealer order code that was proof that the dealer had submitted the order to the factory. I even had the Ford factory 800 number that you could check status of your build based on your order code.
seattlecamaroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The RS package may be the biggest underestimation by GM. I'm hoping they make the RS package available through order and through GMPP so people who don't start with the package can order it later.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
littlecammi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The RS package may be the biggest underestimation by GM. I'm hoping they make the RS package available through order and through GMPP so people who don't start with the package can order it later.
HIDs are very expensive to upgrade to afterwards! Aftermarket HIDs use inferior ballasts and are not nearly as good as OEM. Always better to order certain options like that from the factory! I strongly suspect that GM estimates 25% of people will be taking the RS option package, when it will wind up being wanted by almost everyone. This is exactly the kind of thing that can put cars on hold and leave them unscheduled for production.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
littlecammi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecamaroboy View Post
I was actually one of those people. I pre-release ordered my 05 Mustang GT from the dealer with the IUP (Interior Upgrade Package. I did intense amounts of research to know the ordering process, and to get the dealer order code that was proof that the dealer had submitted the order to the factory. I even had the Ford factory 800 number that you could check status of your build based on your order code.
Then you should know what "clean/unscheduled" and other status codes mean. Even after your order is placed with the manufacturer by the dealer, it may not get scheduled for production.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #7
mxkx250

Drives: 12 ZL1, 98 Camaro SS, 67 RS/SS
Send a message via Yahoo to mxkx250
Quote:
Ford had anticipated that only 20% of Mustang buyers would order the MyColor gauges (speedo/tach/gauges lit in any of 125 different colors selectable by the driver) that came in the interior upgrade package (IUP), but instead almost everybody wanted it. All orders with the IUP option were put on hold due to shortage of the MyColor gauges. After a couple month delay, dealers were told to advise customers that their Mustang could be released to be scheduled for build if they would accept it without the MyColor gauges. Those who wanted to wait for the MyColor still had to wait
I read at the time that Ford had been shown this idea a few years previously by the person who designed the idea. Ford rejected the idea from him. They waited a few years and put out the option s their idea. They didn't know it had been patented. When the person saw the Mustang offered with his patented option, he went to Ford and they wouldn't agree to terms. He got an injunction and they couldn't sell the new cars with this option. He accepted an offer to use his patent.
I had read this in a magazine not in an internet forum that would be anti Ford so I give it more weight than some rumors.
mxkx250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
RS Package

Is looks like the "RS" package for a V6 LT car, could be something the dealer could add if the electrial system is not different:

RS Appearance Package available on LT and SS, with HID headlamps with integrated halo ring feature, spoiler, specific taillamps and 20-inch wheels2

But (if the RS indeed means you get the V6 show car bumper with no mailbox slot), then I can see how you would have to order that if you want an RS-SS.

One other note: Wouldn't the SS (non-RS) model automatically get everything that is listed in the RS package above anyway except the V6 (no slot) front bumper? The package above suggests you HAVE to get an RS to get halos and afterburner taillights. Can someone here clarify that if they can? Thanks.

ALSO: --> An RS-SS car looks exactly like the RS car they show in all the photos of the RS car except there's an SS badge instead right ?
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
RS Appearance Package available on LT and SS, with HID headlamps with integrated halo ring feature, spoiler, specific taillamps and 20-inch wheels.
That's it. No bumper swaps on the SS...just the stuff listed above.
An LT/RS has a red RS badge.(v6)
An SS/RS has a red SS badge.(V8)

Old 08-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #10
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
I agree the badge will say SS but you are still getting the slot on the SS car.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Yes. That slot is SS-specific, it won't be found on any other Camaro.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Lessons learned from the 05 mustang:
1) Don't buy a mustang.
End of story.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
seattlecamaroboy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Lessons learned from the 05 mustang:
1) Don't buy a mustang.
End of story.
- Xanthos

Let me ask you something. As a 2005 Ford Mustang GT owner and a future 2010 Camaro SS owner. What did you do for 5 years, between 2004 and 2009 if you wanted a V8 engine in a pony car for an affordable price? For all the bashing I hear about the Mustang, I just laugh to myself because it's taken FIVE YEARS for a response. I was doing 0 to 60 in about 5.1 seconds, whipping my GT around corners, gunning that V8 engine, and blasting the 1000 watt stock sound system with subs when you were driving around in what? Now don't get me wrong, I will have the Camaro and I'm lucky enough to have both, and in many ways it is the next car that has genuinely gotten me excited since my Mustang, but without that retro Mustang coming out, you wouldn't have a new Camaro today. There were ZERO sports cars with 300 horsepower for $26K in 2005 other than the GT.

And lest you forget, the 300 horsepower V8 is in a GT with a curb weight of 3,483 pounds. While you might think the 422 horsepower in the Camaro SS is impressive, at a weight of 3,860, it's only equivalent to 380 horsepower on the Mustang. Which is an impressive gain, but not 422 because of weight.
seattlecamaroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #14
j-man
F-body Addicted

Drives: 2001 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecamaroboy View Post
Let me ask you something. As a 2005 Ford Mustang GT owner and a future 2010 Camaro SS owner. What did you do for 5 years, between 2004 and 2009 if you wanted a V8 engine in a pony car for an affordable price? For all the bashing I hear about the Mustang, I just laugh to myself because it's taken FIVE YEARS for a response. I was doing 0 to 60 in about 5.1 seconds, whipping my GT around corners, gunning that V8 engine, and blasting the 1000 watt stock sound system with subs when you were driving around in what? Now don't get me wrong, I will have the Camaro and I'm lucky enough to have both, and in many ways it is the next car that has genuinely gotten me excited since my Mustang, but without that retro Mustang coming out, you wouldn't have a new Camaro today. There were ZERO sports cars with 300 horsepower for $26K in 2005 other than the GT.

And lest you forget, the 300 horsepower V8 is in a GT with a curb weight of 3,483 pounds. While you might think the 422 horsepower in the Camaro SS is impressive, at a weight of 3,860, it's only equivalent to 380 horsepower on the Mustang. Which is an impressive gain, but not 422 because of weight.
Come on man, he was just joking Don't be so sensitive! It's a camaro site for goodness sakes. There are going to be shots fired every now and then. Personaly I think Mustangs are great cars. Every girl should have one! :seesaw:
Seriously though, I am happy to see anyone driving rear wheel drive v-8's, no matter the brand name!!
As for what I was doing? Just limping around in my lil ol 02 Z/28 then my lil ol 01 WS6
Peace bro