Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #43
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Articles like this really put me up the wall -- past the pictures -- and on to the ceiling.

The Camaro is not Dead.

(......in my opinion, there are some 'enthusiasts' that hope it does die -- and that confounds me........not to mention giving a dangerous boost to my blood pressure......)

I don't know how these things get life -- but let me assure EVERYONE -- that every car and truck program out there is on the table right now -- and I think I can safely say that this is the case at the other two American manufacturers -- all one has to do is to look at what's happening to new vehicle sales -- coupled with the housing meltdown -- the budget deficit -- the elections -- the Dow Jones Industrials down by a breathtaking amount -- and of course, high energy costs that are forcing the price of everything upward................

Let us take a quick walk down memory lane - shall we?

The year is 1979 -- interest rates are double digit -- energy costs and inflation are spiraling out of control.......people are "upside down" on their loans for pickups and large cars................

.....................and yet Chevrolet somehow sold 282,000 Camaros -- TEN years into a lifecycle.

Yes -- the times are different -- but I'm betting that when people see the production car -- they see the value that the car offers -- and they see the fuel economy -- we'll sell a lot of 'em.

........I said a long time ago "Have Faith" -- and that's what I'm saying once again.
Thank you Scott for ending the rumor again for us.

BTW, I don't remember much of 1979, I was only 5.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #44
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
I am so happy we have someone like scott here to comfort us in our times of worry. Thank you.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #45
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I knew it. . .still say the gov shouldn't have set cafe standards.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #46
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
I knew it. . .still say the gov shouldn't have set cafe standards.
I'll paraphrase something that Bob Lutz said a while back: (and I'm sure I'll butcher it alltohell....)

".........CAFE is not unlike forcing people to lose weight by making everyone wear a size 4............."
Old 07-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #47
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
I'll paraphrase something that Bob Lutz said a while back: (and I'm sure I'll butcher it alltohell....)

".........CAFE is not unlike forcing people to lose weight by making everyone wear a size 4............."
amen.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #48
96CAMaro

Drives: '02 Impreza 2.5RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
its going to be heavy... hate to tell you. maybe not quite 2 tons, but close.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #49
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
Understandably, Fbod didn't address the topic of the Z/28\Top Dog specifically, just said the Camaro as a whole isn't dead. Hopefully the Z/28 survives along with its naturally aspirated siblings. *crosses fingers*
Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #50
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I'm SURE we can do that. All we have to do is eliminate dead weight like Catalytic Converters, Air bags, 5MPH Bumpers, Side Door Beams, Passenger Seatbelt sensors, child locks, etc.

I'm a little to the right of center but have you actually felt how heavy a catalytic converter weighs off a 4th. Gen.? I just put my LTs back on this weekend and for the size that they are, they feel like they weigh twice as much as to look. Maybe I didn't read far enough into your comment but I'm sure weight could be lowered with better use of materials in all of these parts.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #51
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
Understandably, Fbod didn't address the topic of the Z/28\Top Dog specifically, just said the Camaro as a whole isn't dead. Hopefully the Z/28 survives along with its naturally aspirated siblings. *crosses fingers*
Don't worry too much, when has he ever gone into specifics about the 5thgen?

Like Scott said, just "Keep the faith."
Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #52
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Just for kicks, GM should try to put a "green" camaro in their lineup.

It should be a lighter version of the Camaro that will absolutely get over 30 mpg. Use a (turbo) 4 cylinder, tall highway gearing, and possibly use a solid axle. use composite doors,hood/trunk lid. maybe even drive on batteries under 30 miles per hour. And paint it the exact Green paint they used for '69 Z28 camaros.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #53
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:

Brilliant!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #54
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Don't worry too much, when has he ever gone into specifics about the 5thgen?

Like Scott said, just "Keep the faith."
Yup, like I said, I didn't expect specifics from him.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #55
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
you know...it bothers me that the execs cut the budget from 25 million to 12 million....

Damn these democrats and tree huggers..i swear we need to take this country back

i will seriously start some major campaign if they kill the camaro over this crap...come on the v6 is getting 27 mpg....and anybody who buys a v8 never cared about mpg's

gm don't buy into the hype start making commercials asking for congress to drill

if gm gets on the ball we will start something

the v6 300hp or v6 250hp?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #56
Chogan2200

Drives: 96 Cavalier "Scarlet"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Hey Guys,

They just shut down the whole Camaro project. No Camaro will even be revealed at Indy this year. even 6 cylinder engines are getting phased out.

that's not even funny to joke about! :(

Closed Thread