Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #127
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSTORG5 View Post
I had the flush and refill done today.

#PI0137: Rear Axle Chatter-Type Noise on Low-Speed
Turns
The noise started several weeks ago and was getting worse, so I took it in. So far so good.

FYI -
The service tech said if you catch it in time it should be good, but if you wait too long the damage would be perminant and the center section would need to be replaced. So far he has replaced one (15,000 mi.) all others 5k or less the flush has done it.

If you hear it - take it in.
Read the original post. Your issue is referring to the the diff chatter, once the fluid is changed and they put an additive it helps resolve the issue.

This thread is about "steering noises" even when the vehicle is at a full stop.

Two separate issues.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #128
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Read the original post. Your issue is referring to the the diff chatter, once the fluid is changed and they put an additive it helps resolve the issue.

This thread is about "steering noises" even when the vehicle is at a full stop.

Two separate issues.
I don't know why you keep saying that. The original post sure sounds like the diff chatter problem to me!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #129
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
I don't know why you keep saying that. The original post sure sounds like the diff chatter problem to me!
Actually, there are (3) issues being discussed in this thread. I've had all (3) so I can tell you from experience.

Issues / Resolution:

1. When driving very slowly and turing steering grinding (usually when parking in forward or backward motion) noise from front of vehicle.+
Resolution: Clean out end-link connectors, spray with lubricant, make sure bolts are tight, possibly use lock-tight.

2. Clunking sound when backing up slowly (sounds like a can hitting bottom of vehicle for about 1 - 2 sec.)
Resolution: Apparently there is a software upgrade to resolve ABS testing at the wrong time. Would be nice if someone could provide the TSB.

3. Chatter sounds from underneath the vehicle.
Resolution: Change fluids in slip differential, and add the additive provided by GM.

Considering I've read the entire thread before I choose to make my comments I believe the OP was in relation to #1 or #2.

Last edited by calbert1999; 10-19-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Correct formatting.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:34 AM   #130
ducq

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 blck w/ IOM
This thread is clearly about the "grinding noise when backing up" which is the 2 or 3 second noise you hear almost as though some metal is dragging on the ground. It used to happen to me when I would be reversing out of my driveway with the wheels slightly turned while slowly moving backwards. It would usually hit when I get to the ramp part. Of the driveway. I mentioned the software update to the dealer and gave the VIN from the guy that posted a few pages back. They found the update, recalibrated the computer or something and I have not heard the noise since.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #131
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducq View Post
This thread is clearly about the "grinding noise when backing up" which is the 2 or 3 second noise you hear almost as though some metal is dragging on the ground. It used to happen to me when I would be reversing out of my driveway with the wheels slightly turned while slowly moving backwards. It would usually hit when I get to the ramp part. Of the driveway. I mentioned the software update to the dealer and gave the VIN from the guy that posted a few pages back. They found the update, recalibrated the computer or something and I have not heard the noise since.
This is good news. I plan to do the same.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #132
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post

I changed my diff oil and added the additive and now my noise is gone!
Old 10-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #133
bjorno

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss rs 6m
I have the same grinding noise when backing up and turning while braking. I gave my dealer Dameon's provided Case and PI #s and was told the Case # didn't help and he found nothing under the PI#. The closest thing he found was PI0l37: re. rear axle chatter-type noise on low speed turns. The noise is from the front right and I'm inclined to think it is the ABS system. It' hard to think the front end links could make such a noise. I'm going to a different dealer for help with this. Any other input from you Camaro fans will be appreciated. (the VIN# chadkatona provided didn't help the first dealer as he said if I hadn't purchased the vehicle from his dealership he couldn't use the number. (that's hard to believe!)
bjorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:07 AM   #134
ducq

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 blck w/ IOM
that's not right! I gave some guys vin number that was posted in this thread a few pages back or so. The service guy pulled it up and found what work was done to his car and gave me the same update he got, (re)calibrated the ABS EBCM (EBCM, Electronic Brake Control Module) and I havnt gotten the grinding noise I described above. I changed the transmission and differential fluid today and that seemed to get rid of some chatter I would get when going from a complete stop and engaging 1st gear 0-5 mph.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #135
Slake
eeeeeeeeee

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS LS3
I get this as well. 28k KM on the meter. Dealership can't find the problem/cant get it to make the noise.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #136
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I have a noise from the front of the car too. It sounds like grinding and clunking when the wheel is turned all the way and moving forward slowly. I have not really tested in reverse. The dealer heard the noise once, inspected it, and said it was normal. I plan on taking it back again soon.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #137
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
My SS just started doing this.....my first thought when I heard it was that it was the rear differential (I've been through this exercise 2x on my solstice already). Glad to hear that some of you have had luck w/ diff fluid change and additive - I will approach dealer to see if they can help.

BTW - When this happened on my solstice - the easiest way to reproduce was to go find an empty parking lot and drive in a circle - I had to finally drag one of the dealer techs out to prove the noise - and this is how I repro'd with witness
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #138
WA SSRS

Drives: White 2010 2SS RS, Black 2010 ZR1
Have the same problem with Vette's. It's the clutch paks/plates......you have a limiteds slip differential and need a friction modifier...

Or, just go to the GM dealership and ask for their new differential fluid (for Vette's) with friction modifier added (Dexron LS gear oil 75-90W with the friction modifier).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...s-for-faq.html

Just a thought, you can get a bottle of friction modifier at a car parts store and add it (Red Line makes a good one). Or, you can drain the differential and pay GM for their Dexron LS.

More work and more money.....you make the call.
WA SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #139
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS, A8, Sunroof
Having dealt with this type of issue before in lifted 4x4's, it sounds to me that when backing or pulling away, the noise is created by the side load that is created when moving in any other direction outside of a straight line. There are retainers in the rear end holding the CVs in place and they may be getting pushed/pulled in their race during these sharp turns and such. Going slow would allow you to hear AND feel that contact. It shouldn't be cause for any alarm though.

Just my thoughts...

'16 2SS, A8, Sunroof, non-NPP
"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
JKLNHYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #140
BigGunzE7

Drives: Blk 2SS L99
Does anyone know if there is a TSB on this or not?
BigGunzE7 is offline   Reply With Quote