Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #2003
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynAgain View Post
Congrats Joe!

when'd you come back?!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #2004
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Congrats on the 1LE

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #2005
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Car looks great! Any plans for this one?
Old 11-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #2006
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Presenting:

Argenteus-when-not-in-a-crappily-lit-parking-garage, and his friend my Dad's nameless (because it needs no name), '79 Z28.

(I am impressed with the new cell phone's picture quality...just upgraded since three years ago - but improvement!)

I'll need to post some interior, and after-Zaino pictures in the springtime after the weather hits, and fades. Speaking of which - I can report that the Pirelli Scorpion winter tires are freaking amazing! I won't win any races with them, but man - they hold this car down tight in the cold, snow, rain, and even on ice!!
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #2007
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Car looks great! Any plans for this one?

Ummm...a couple "upgrades", but nothing major. As a daily driver, and with the intent to save boatloads of money for more "important" ventures, I can't spend as much as I'd like.

Things I'll be doing for SURE (as soon as the parts are out):

Z/28 brake cooling ducts
Z/28 high flow intake

Things I really want to do, but likely won't (definitely not anytime soon):

Z/28 upper grille
Z/28 differential cooler
Z/28 aero (front splitter, belly pan, rear diffuser, and rear wing)
Z/28 headers/GMPP heads & cam/ Tom Henry Racing tune
Z/28 half-shafts

Other than that...I've already installed my DIY exhaust valve switch taken off the ZL1, and installed a "temporary" K&N air filter.

The way I look at it, is that the parts I want but likely won't get amount to (my estimate) somewhere between $7-8k...at that rate...why did I bother trading in the ZL1, because that's almost as much as I saved in the swap....? Besides...that's a LOT of track days & gas I could buy, instead.

I'm very, very, VERY happy with this car in stock form. The Recaro seats are phenominal...and on the track those will account for more time gained than most of the above listed items.

All-in-all: I'm just plain 'ole happy with what I've got.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #2008
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Did you elect to not get the vinyl hood wrap?
Old 11-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #2009
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
Did you elect to not get the vinyl hood wrap?
You could say that. It came delivered with the wrap - but Tom Henry Racing's body shop "uninstalled it" for me. I was inspired to make that decision by the Nurburgring Z/28.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:15 AM   #2010
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Congrats on the new arrival So can't wait until spring...and like you, I plan on driving it all year (in fair weather of course )

Both old and new look good together, definitely see the lineage there. (albeit on a slightly larger scale)

Last edited by Bad@ssCamaro; 11-17-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #2011
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Congrats on the new arrival So can't wait until spring...and like you, I plan on driving it all year (in fair weather of course )

Both old and new look good together, definitely see the lineage there. (albeit on a slightly larger scale)
Thanks!! Those are both definitely Camaros. I was a little shocked at first...I haven't seen either of them from that high of an angle before - the "chevron" front end, and the hood vent (fake or no on the '79)...even the new '14 hood "power bulge" lines mimic the 70s cars. Pretty cool to see.

I guess I forget to share this little beauty of a picture from last week...Ice anybody?

Name:  ArgentIce.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  349.5 KB
Old 11-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #2012
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Looking good. When you take him to a track day you might miss your ZL1 brakes. I tracked yesterday and didn't have any trouble with the stockers but felt like it could use some extra stopping power. Could have been me being a newb the way I was using them but I think the ZL1 fronts will be my first major mod.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #2013
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Looking good. When you take him to a track day you might miss your ZL1 brakes. I tracked yesterday and didn't have any trouble with the stockers but felt like it could use some extra stopping power. Could have been me being a newb the way I was using them but I think the ZL1 fronts will be my first major mod.
It's very possible I will. The brakes on the ZL1 were awesome.

Did you burnish your brakes beforehand? That makes a noticeable (though not incredible) difference in on-track feel.

I will be installing Z/28 cooling ducts for the front brakes. Thinking back on my time with the '13 1LEs at Gingerman w/ Chevy...the brakes were great - I would just be worried about heat after a long track day - and hopefully the brake cooling ducts will help it drive fast longer.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #2014
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
It's very possible I will. The brakes on the ZL1 were awesome.

Did you burnish your brakes beforehand? That makes a noticeable (though not incredible) difference in on-track feel.

I will be installing Z/28 cooling ducts for the front brakes. Thinking back on my time with the '13 1LEs at Gingerman w/ Chevy...the brakes were great - I would just be worried about heat after a long track day - and hopefully the brake cooling ducts will help it drive fast longer.
No. Didn't burnish them. Is that a one time thing or something I should do before every session? They might be set now. I smelled them getting pretty hot a couple times. The Z/28 ducts are on my list too and should be affordable. I hope they don't take too long to release them.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #2015
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
No. Didn't burnish them. Is that a one time thing or something I should do before every session? They might be set now. I smelled them getting pretty hot a couple times. The Z/28 ducts are on my list too and should be affordable. I hope they don't take too long to release them.
It's a one-time thing. It softens, and then sets the adhesive within the brake pad compound to improve feel, heat resistance, and maybe wear. Refer to page 9-8 in your owners manual for the full procedure...it's somewhat lengthy...but - if you've already been to a track day, and you could smell the brakes - then chances are they're already set, like you said.

I'm anxious for them to release the brake ducts, too....easy, extremely effective mod for the people that use their cars the way they were meant to be used!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #2016
Mr. Wyndham

What did I do with my 1LE today........?

.....I parked it under a Schooner.

I work as a captain for the Spirit of Buffalo company (if you didn't know)...Gorgeous boat, awesome experiences. I'm very excited to have a picture include two of my life's passions at once.
Attached Images