Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Dead pedal question for those who were at Indy

Question for those of you who actually sat in the cars and looked at the details......

Is the dead pedal a real dead pedal bolted into the floor, or is it molded into the floor board and coverd with the carpet and a piece of rubber?

And if it is just molded, is it at least substantial and usefull as a dead pedal should be?
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
USA1Camaro

Drives: 2004 GTO
Looks like it's molded in.

Name:  dead pedal.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  dead pedal2.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  97.5 KB
USA1Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
Jas29

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
what do u even use a dead peddle for?
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas29 View Post
what do u even use a dead peddle for?
During spirited driving, a proper dead pedal provides a spot for your left foot not just to rest, but to shift your body weight as you take hard corners so you stay upright, straight, and tight in your seat.

Most high performance cars have serious dead pedals, and they're worth it. Take a look at Porsches, Honda S2000, and many performance cars that aren't "high" performance have them. A good one is a sepparate pedal, thick, solid plastic, raised up about 6-8 inches and angled right so your foot is comfortable and not tilted one way or the other, and bolted into the floor very securely so it doesn't move at all. It also provides a perfect spot while you're shifting a stickshift for your left foot to not have to move very far. My Prelude has a real dead pedal, and I would hope the one in the Camaro is useable, functions properly (doesn't start to fold or flop as pressure is applied from my body weight shifting), and is at a good angle so my ankle doesn't hang down or is pushed too far back while it's on it.

Ask anyone who takes driving seriously..... a well designed dead pedal is a necessity.

The one in the Camaro doesn't look very usefull, but hopefully it is.

If Scott reads this, perhaps he can chime in on it's usefullness on the track and during spirited driving.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO

Has anyone seen the pedals on the GTO? I'm kinda disappointed about the Camaro's in comparison.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/EKania/mt-8.jpg

You can see that the GTOs are drilled aluminum. They come like that from the factory and are pretty cool looking. If the Camaro's looked like that and included a decent dead pedal (the gto didn't. at least the 05s they may have remedied that for 06) and improved upon the spacing, it'd be cooler. But I suppose the plain and functional look will do. Plus, you can always get different looking ones, right?
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I wouldn't doubt at all if there are pedal "upgrades" included in some interior appearance package.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I wouldn't doubt at all if there are pedal "upgrades" included in some interior appearance package.

i Really hope there are
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
That'd be cool. Not that it's a huge deal, but they just look cool. They were slippery when my shoes were wet though.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
GMPP has really stepped up their game with a lot of different options that used to only be available at Scion dealerships or the aftermarket. I can't wait to see what options are offered for the Camaro.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #10
fbird777
SOM WS6

Drives: 2002 SOM Trans Am WS6
I hope its molded in so it doesn't move around, I rest my foot on the dead pedal most of the time.
fbird777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #11
Zieke
Camaro Deprived

Drives: 78 Camaro, 00 Tahoe, 10 Cobalt
Send a message via MSN to Zieke
the dead pedal in our VW Touareg is part of the floor paneling i think. all i can recall at the moment is that its fricken awesome. its at just the right height and angle.
hopefully the camaro measures up.

Joined Active Navy: 10-28-08
Zieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:42 AM   #12
kashtrey

Drives: '02 Chevy Blazer
The pedals though still have time to changes, seeings as it isn't production, and not really something that would require a lot of effort to alter. Right now it looks like they just have standard Chevy pedals.
kashtrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #13
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashtrey View Post
The pedals though still have time to changes, seeings as it isn't production, and not really something that would require a lot of effort to alter. Right now it looks like they just have standard Chevy pedals.
I don't know if they can change it or not. They already said they would not be changing some other things which would be a lot simpler to change and involve a lot less peripheral changes. (sheetmetal, carpet, etc.) I think they will refer you to the third party market for any modifications to the dead pedal.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #14
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
This is one of my pet peeves about the current Mustang. The "dead pedal" is just a part of the floor that was angled and covered in carpet. I want a real pedal there, not an incline.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote