Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #29
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Really? You don't get that $46k is less than $50k? Or that it's less than the average between $44k and $50k? Or that even the GT500 with the convertible option is still within your projected price range for a Z28?
From post 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4lyfe View Post
I'm not following you. What I'm saying based off Camaro's website that the 2SS starts at $34K, the Z/28 maybe $10k-$15K on top of that like $44K-$50K. I don't think we'll see a performance car with 500+hp under $40K.
Once again the GT500 is $46,000 the Vert is $51K. Seems like $46K is right in the middle. I'm going by internet prices because thats all I got to go by. People may pay more or less for one who knows, that goes for any car. I'm not saying that the Z/28 IS going for my predicted price range, that just seems like a competive sensable price range for one. What you think the Z/28 going to go for $35K-$40K???

Quote:
Let's just go back to the beginning, with the easy comparison. Let's say the Z28 and the GT500 are identically priced. What do you think the Z28 will have that the GT500 won't? What would prompt someone to buy a Z28?
You tell me? It might be the same reason why you got an Camaro over the Mustang? Isn't the fully loaded to the gills Mustang GT cheaper than a 2SS Camaro? Why would anyone buy a Camaro SS when you can have a cheaper Mustang GT. There is your answer.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #30
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You're skewing a lot of things in your favor for the sake of debate...which is fine, I guess...but, man is it a little irritating.
I've supplied the reasons for all my arguments. I haven't heard any of you guys explain why the Z28 has to cost that much, or any reasons why people would buy it at that price other than "It's a Z28". At that price range, the Z28 mystique by itself isn't enough to convince ordinary people to buy it.

Quote:
Please explain how they'd lose money? They have the V6 and SS Camaro, which are to make up the vast majority of their sales. They don't NEED the Z28 -- which is the main reason they shelved it during the summer turmoil. It's a frivolous addition to the lineup. You don't have to believe me...that's the beauty of free-will...but it WILL be a low-volume model. So take it or leave it, I guess...
Because they won't sell at $50k. Whether the Z28 is frivolous will depend entirely on it's price.

Quote:
Then.....At $50k, a Z28 would be in the same price-range as an SS by your logic...which means 60% of current Camaro buyers would consider that. Not the small, undetectable minority you were talking about in your previous post...so why are we having this debate?
Because you lack basic comprehension, I suppose. High-hp performance stands out @ $35k. It doesn't @ $50k.

Quote:
And did you know that a large portion of Corvette-buyers are streching their dollar's worth to afford a base-version of that car? They don't have an extra 10 grand to spend...that's not chump-change. hmmm....
No, I don't know that. Do you know that?

Quote:
Then I suppose it's a ruddy miracle that Ford is selling GT500s....the outline you give about is simply the nature of the Industry, my friend.
Does Ford have another high-hp car to sell? No. Then it's not a miracle, it's simply a lack of options.

Quote:
If price was a buyers only consideration, and luxury trumps performance as you imply, then I'm positive we all would not be buying and driving Camaros...we could all be buying CTSs instead. But...that isn't happening.
I didn't say luxury trumps performance, I said performance and luxury trumps only performance.

Quote:
A car this niche will attract a VERY closed-minded buyer.
Rofl. Yeah, that's one way of saying "not many people will buy it", I suppose.

Quote:
A buyer who knows exactly what he/she wants to buy...and only needs a company to offer it for him to purchase. It is very unlikely that these people will search so far out the segment for a car.
Why not? Do you think people shopping for new cars give a crap about segments? I don't. I think they look at everything and buy what most appeals to them.

Quote:
Here goes: name me another car that can do what the GT500 does for $46,000 MSRP +/- $2000. It doesn't have to be better...just name another 2+2 coupe that can perform as well for that price. The M3 can, but that thing is well over $10,000 more (closing on $15,000 more).
You've got our arguments backwards. Your argument assumes people buy cars in segments. I don't. I think the GT500 competes with the Corvette for sales, and I also think the Camaro SS competes with the GT500 for sales.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #31
2010-1SS-IBM

Quote:
Once again the GT500 is $46,000 the Vert is $51K. Seems like $46K is right in the middle. I'm going by internet prices because thats all I got to go by. People may pay more or less for one who knows, that goes for any car. I'm not saying that the Z/28 IS going for my predicted price range, that just seems like a competive sensable price range for one. What you think the Z/28 going to go for $35K-$40K???
GM has performance cars in the GT500 price range, as well as above it. Why would they need another?

I'd put the Z28 in the $37k-$43k price range.

Quote:
You tell me? It might be the same reason why you got an Camaro over the Mustang? Isn't the fully loaded to the gills Mustang GT cheaper than a 2SS Camaro? Why would anyone buy a Camaro SS when you can have a cheaper Mustang GT. There is your answer.
Horsepower. There's a hugh difference between GT hp and SS hp. That won't be true of the Z28 and GT500, at least if the 550hp LSA assumption is correct. The 2010 GT500 makes 540hp, who knows what it will be in 2012 when the Z28 comes out.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #32
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
I can't really imagine that the Z28 will be too much more than a whiz-banged up version of the existing SS, all existing technology with all of the 'up' options as a base or starting point.

More than likely, they'll take all the things people complained about the SS not having or not having done well, and add or fix it. Add some Z28 specific badging
and 'special' wheels, hood, interior package etc and call it a day.

As long as GM can convince the target buying audience that the Z28 is 'special'
it'll sell like hotcakes and people will be happy again. Hell, I'd be o.k. with it.

Engine: LS7/LS9/LSA
Suspension: Existing, but with aftermarket coil-overs and lowered a bit
Body: New hood, spoiler and badges
Interior: They'll either go more muscle (minimalists) or add sparkly stuff and of course more leather
Colors: Possibly Z28 specific colors or combination's offered from the factory.
With Z28 specific stripes.
Transmission: Bullet-proofed/hardened version of existing TR6060 or 6L80E
may not even offer more than one...go either all manual or all auto.

No matter what they end up with, people will buy it, talk about it and be happy about it.

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #33
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Quote:
GM has performance cars in the GT500 price range, as well as above it. Why would they need another?

I'd put the Z28 in the $37k-$43k price range.
They do, what? If your talking about the Corvette wrong, its not in the same class as the GT500 two different cars. $37k-$43k not a chance, we hope, but that won't happen. I think $43k is the lowest.

Quote:
Horsepower. There's a hugh difference between GT hp and SS hp. That won't be true of the Z28 and GT500, at least if the 550hp LSA assumption is correct. The 2010 GT500 makes 540hp, who knows what it will be in 2012 when the Z28 comes out.
Ahh there you go, so why would a Z/28 would be cheaper than a GT500 with nearly the same HP? And cost as much as a Challenger SRT8 with less HP? Keep in mind these are cars in the same class.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #34
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

I can't argue with a wall.

EDIT: And I don't appreciate you telling me I can't comprehend what I read. Perhaps you ought to not contradict yourself.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #35
RSHugger

Drives: 1969 RS Camaro
Not quite as entertaining as the Ladies of Camaro5 thread but close
RSHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #36
2010-1SS-IBM

Quote:
They do, what? If your talking about the Corvette wrong, its not in the same class as the GT500 two different cars. $37k-$43k not a chance, we hope, but that won't happen. I think $43k is the lowest.
Who cares if it's in the same class? What people will buy is all that matters. What would the Z28 offer that the GT500 or the Corvette doesn't is what you should be asking. The prices will be the same.

Price (or performance for the price, if you prefer) is what the Camaro offers today, and that's why it's selling like hotcakes in a crappy economy.

Quote:
Ahh there you go, so why would a Z/28 would be cheaper than a GT500 with nearly the same HP? And cost as much as a Challenger SRT8 with less HP? Keep in mind these are cars in the same class.
Because they want to sell them. Do you think the guys at Dodge are patting themselves on the back for the Challenger SRT8 being priced higher than the Camaro SS? How are Challenger sales these days?

If there's nothing inherently better about a car relative to cars in the same price range, why would anyone buy it?

A 550hp Z28 would certainly be impressive, but it won't stand out at $50k. There will be other cars that offer exactly the same performance, and still other cars that have suped-up hp in the same range but also have superb handling, and still more cars that offer luxury plus suped-up hp.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #37
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Quote:

I can't argue with a wall.

EDIT: And I don't appreciate you telling me I can't comprehend what I read. Perhaps you ought to not contradict yourself.
Ditto.