Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #15
livefr33ordie
Looking for new home

Drives: Summit White 2SS/RS
My wife asked me today if I was going to get the ZL1 when it came out. I honestly didn't have an answer for her. I love my SS. I told her I would rather wait and have both.
livefr33ordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
OMG, I soooo want to post my Super Top Secret 2016 Alpha Camaro SS spy photo but Dragoneye will be upset....
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #17
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
There isn't an 6 Gen Alpha section on Camaro 5 yet (Camaro 6). I think the Mods should start one and let me put my C6 SS render in there...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #18
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
There isn't an 6 Gen Alpha section on Camaro 5 yet (Camaro 6). I think the Mods should start one and let me put my C6 SS render in there...
if he is serious, +1
Old 03-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #19
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Worried? About what?

Firstly, progress and advancement is the name of the game in the auto industry. If you're going to be worried about a new model replacing the car you bought and love...Don't buy a car and just keep waiting and waiting and waiting...

Secondly...The Alpha platform is debuting with the Cadillac ATS, first. CTS, second, and then Camaro...don't expect an Alpha-platform, 6th gen Camaro until 2015 or so...and even then...It might only start by offering the LS, LT, and SS...it might take another year to release a supercar version like the ZL1 and possibly Z28...

No...not worried.
exactly what i was thinking
Old 03-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #20
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Why worry about the Alpha platform? I'm looking forward to it. Alpha will mean good things for the Camaro. It'll help solve the weight problem.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #21
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I am saying this as a guy that owns a 2010:

If we are waiting for 2015 for a new Camaro, they better start working some sweet magic or the new mustang is going to be handing our asses to us.

Hell, even the OLD (current) mustang is destroying us (performance wise.)

Kudos to Ford, in all sincerity. Chevy could learn a few lessons from them (and hopefully is )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #22
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Why worry about the Alpha platform? I'm looking forward to it. Alpha will mean good things for the Camaro
I think so too. And, I am thinking they may possibly change the body style to a second generation modern retro version circa 1970, that would be awesome....what do you think?

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 03-18-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: posted without text in error.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #23
10spokess
Wild and Cammed

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
I want to see it
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Hell, even the OLD (current) mustang is destroying us (performance wise.)

Kudos to Ford, in all sincerity. Chevy could learn a few lessons from them (and hopefully is )
Um...no? Your fantasy land sounds awful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I think so too. And, I am thinking they may possibly change the body style to a second generation modern retro version circa 1970, that would be awesome....what do you think?
I think they should mature the current design, scale it down and "pull a Corvette". That is: evolutionary changes, rather than drastic. (so...not like 1st-2nd Camaro, or 2nd to 3rd)

I like the current design WAY too much to imagine just letting it go.

Cues I think MUST stay? Wide "hips", flat roof, reverse mohawk, halo-headlights, dual taillights, bold grille, rear window quarter angle. I'd be happy if everything else changed conservatively...but not by much.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #25
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
What really worries me is the state of the v8 after '16. All of the good things that was accomplished with the ls series engines may vanish if gm listens to the bean counters that say that all cars must obtain 35+ mpg by '16.

I hope that the zl1 will be around at least by '15 (when I recuperate from my last New Car Day). This sweet zl package might not be back for the new generation and could be replaced by a turbo charged four cylinder 'somethin (paranoia I know, but then again I don't put anything past these guys........I've seen them louse up good cars in the past!).

Ok just my rant.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
What really worries me is the state of the v8 after '16. All of the good things that was accomplished with the ls series engines may vanish if gm listens to the bean counters that say that all cars must obtain 35+ mpg by '16.

I hope that the zl1 will be around at least by '15 (when I recuperate from my last New Car Day). This sweet zl package might not be back for the new generation and could be replaced by a turbo charged four cylinder 'somethin (paranoia I know, but then again I don't put anything past these guys........I've seen them louse up good cars!).

Ok just my rant.
You should be pleased to read this post...I think...

CAFE fuel economy laws dictate that all manufacturer FLEETS must obtain 35mpg by 2016. So that means that Camaro gets averaged with the Corvette, and the Impala, the Malibu, with Cruze, and the Volt, etc, etc...then, based on all sorts of crazy calculations (including an interestingly higher fuel economy rating than what appears on the sticker...), the FLEET as a whole must be 35mpg. If not? Fines....but GM's never had to pay this fleet fine.

So...we'll probably see extremely hi-performance cars (and therefore relatively low fuel-economy) get more expensive, which equals less volume, which is better for the fleet rating. But don't count on anything disappearing anytime, soon...

EDIT: The good news is that the Alpha platform's light weight should facilitate lower-power (and therefore higher fuel economy) engines being used with little to no negative impact on performance. So performance 4 cylinders and V6s may become more prominent...but if they deliver the goods (which they WILL, or they don't get used)...does it really matter so much?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #27
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
So performance 4 cylinders and V6s may become more prominent...but if they deliver the goods (which they WILL, or they don't get used)...does it really matter so much?

So glad you touched on this one. In any other car, no; In fact I welcome high powered small engines in modern cars. However, in a camaro, it matters a heck of a lot to me. No matter how current or advanced a camaro is, it still draws back on its heritage, and that heritage almost always will mean a small block v8 with an exhaust that lets you know what its purpose is about. Its the only reason that I would go to such lengths to own (hah....collect) one. It wouldn't be the same camaro to me if they no longer feature a v8.....and now a ground pulling, no holds barred, ready to rumble v8!!!!!!!!!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #28
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
I would luv to consider the 2012 ZL1, bad part is I really don't want to think about what GM/Chevy is going to list the Base MSRP for.... Can we say $50k+ well equiped..
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote