Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #113
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Subscribed. Glad to hear the repair (so far) is going painlessly. Thanks for keeping the thread updated. Weird...

Was this a 12, or a '13 MY? I think I might have missed that earlier on...
Old 02-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #114
deuce189

Drives: 2009 370Z (for sale)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
I am sure the motor would be replaced, its the first major failure I have heard of from a stock one, even modified ones are holding up. Its mechanical, crap happens, they cant all be perfect, I even had a Viper that blew a stock motor at 400 miles new. Get the repair done and have fun, dont stress over it, there is a lot more things in life to stress over, a car is not one of them... I am sure GM will look into what happened. Would be curious when they read the computer, what they find. RPM at failure, temperature, ect.
I agree, something like this was bound to happen.
2009 370Z Sport Touring = Current
deuce189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #115
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #116
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #117
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06

Old 02-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #118
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #119
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanPocket View Post
looks like detonation? low octane perhaps? Oil never changed?

otherwise that's unacceptable, the resale value of that car has gone to shit if they have to either rebuild the motor or replace the entire lsa motor since its a certified zl1. If that were me id be PISSED
You really think a guy who bought a ZL1 never changed the oil? Or used low octane ? I really doubt that .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #120
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
If this car has really been babied with 8k miles. GM should just give you a new car and bite the bullet. The ZL1 engines are hand built from start to finish by one person and think its documented as to who built it. Bottom line is this is already getting loads of publicity. And while GM is figuring out what happened the owner should be out driving it not waiting to find out why his $55k car broke. I don't get this failure thang at idle though. If he blew a hole in the block then I think he was doing a hail of a lot more than idling. Go ahead and give him a new car and let the GM engineers figure out what happened so that if I decide to get a ZL1 it wont happen to me.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #121
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanPocket View Post
The thing about the zl1,

Is we just don't know wether it will be or not considered collectable.

Who would've thought the chevelle or any matching# 440 mopar would be worth 4000%(total guesstimate percentage) more than original msrp today?

It might be, or it might not, but the documentation will never go away.

OP, in regards to the present, I hope GM does NOT screw you in getting your car fixed with some bogus excuse. Ive been there and its happened before with higher dollar cars, (mercedes ring a bell anyone?) There is a warranty for a reason so stuff like this can be resolved, but it just breaks my heart to see this happen to a zl1. Hence my rant.

I new back then all those old cars would be classics, thats why I kept my 69 Road Runner until I had to get rid of it.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #122
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
If this car has really been babied with 8k miles. GM should just give you a new car and bite the bullet. The ZL1 engines are hand built from start to finish by one person and think its documented as to who built it. Bottom line is this is already getting loads of publicity. And while GM is figuring out what happened the owner should be out driving it not waiting to find out why his $55k car broke. I don't get this failure thang at idle though. If he blew a hole in the block then I think he was doing a hail of a lot more than idling. Go ahead and give him a new car and let the GM engineers figure out what happened so that if I decide to get a ZL1 it wont happen to me.
Babied it? What does that have to do with anything? What if he burned his tires to the rims? Or took it out on the track and hammered it as hard as he could , This car is made to do just that, And covered for repair , How he drives has nothing to do with the warranty .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #123
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Catastrophic failure...shit happens. Things break, engines drop reciprocating mass out the bottom, life goes on. GM will warranty it. I feel for the owner. There is no need not to believe the first hand account as narrated by the OP. What we wont know is what exactly has transpired, valve train breakage?, valve dropping into piston?,<at that RPM, as described without any load and upper RPM, that's doubtfull> foreign susbtance introduced into combustion chamber as the conspiracy theorists allude to?... we won't know anything unless the owner gets the skinny from someone who will diagnose the failure other than the engine R&R which will be done by the dealership without inspecting the blown up original engine. It's not much work for them to check topside, but they get paid under warranty,...not flat rate.... so unless the owner makes some arrangements to have them give it a once over, it won't happen.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #124
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
I wasn't thinking about taking pictures on the side of the road. It was like 20 degrees. My hands were around my testicals trying to keep warm!
Hey wait...isn't that your wife's job?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #125
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
ZL1 engines aren't hand built by one person. You're thinking ZR1...close (not really)...

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #126
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Babied it? What does that have to do with anything? What if he burned his tires to the rims? Or took it out on the track and hammered it as hard as he could , This car is made to do just that, And covered for repair , How he drives has nothing to do with the warranty .
I am not talking about whether covered under warranty. We already know its covered. GM says its covered even if run hard and used for track. I am saying if he babied it GM should bite the bullet and give him a new car because if he ran it hard and used it on the track it probably would have failed 5000 mi. earlier. It was a faulty build from the start so give him a new car. With that kind of good publicity GM will make more friends and customers.