Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #29
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
well you need a real good tune to get the most ..hate to spend 7500 and lose 75hp .on a factory tune...if i lived in texas, i would seriously consider looking up andy at adm and think twice...not saying its hard , but might be worth it with a great tune and warranty ...
Old 07-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #30
UBERJIM

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
well you need a real good tune to get the most ..hate to spend 7500 and lose 75hp .on a factory tune...if i lived in texas, i would seriously consider looking up andy at adm and think twice...not saying its hard , but might be worth it with a great tune and warranty ...
I will probably do headers not too long after. I agree it might be a good idea to get it on a dyno to squeeze every last drop out of it and that will give me a reason. I have a hard time letting someone else work on my car. I just don't trust they will do it as meticulously as I would. I'm pretty anal.

Also, on the topic of dyno tunes, couldn't you argue that since our humidity and temperature are so different from summer to winter, half the year the tune isn't optimal? I find it hard to believe I would be down 75 HP on the canned tune, but I agree it might not be optimized depending on the conditions used to generate the canned tune. I guess what I'm getting at is if we really want to get picky, you would have to have tens of different tunes to always be running at peak year round. I just question the amount of HP I might be giving up by not getting it on a dyno after the supercharger install. Again, if I'm mistaken, please educate me. Thanks.
UBERJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #31
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
I would let the tuner experts chime in, but I believe that a maf tune works in variable conditions, sd tunes however do not and may be more problematic, contact Ted Jeannetty, he can tune the car via email, probably more economical, he has done lots of whipped cars and others for that matter
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #32
mikepage0007

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERJIM View Post
I will probably do headers not too long after. I agree it might be a good idea to get it on a dyno to squeeze every last drop out of it and that will give me a reason. I have a hard time letting someone else work on my car. I just don't trust they will do it as meticulously as I would. I'm pretty anal.

Also, on the topic of dyno tunes, couldn't you argue that since our humidity and temperature are so different from summer to winter, half the year the tune isn't optimal? I find it hard to believe I would be down 75 HP on the canned tune, but I agree it might not be optimized depending on the conditions used to generate the canned tune. I guess what I'm getting at is if we really want to get picky, you would have to have tens of different tunes to always be running at peak year round. I just question the amount of HP I might be giving up by not getting it on a dyno after the supercharger install. Again, if I'm mistaken, please educate me. Thanks.
with 37 posts, you are fairly new ...andy is probably one of the most perfectionist mechanics from what i can tell thru his builds on camaro5...i would def search out some of his camro builds that he has documented and video thru camro5 website...i,m sure someone here will post from adm...i will look for a link to his build..he also is in texas...
Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #33
mikepage0007

couple adm links, he wraps the nose of car as protection ..http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...144....another one is a brand new zl1...just throwin ideas out there...info is always a good thing...most of us probably wished we could of waited for the zl1 and saved 50k..lol..http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233472
Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #34
UBERJIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
with 37 posts, you are fairly new ...andy is probably one of the most perfectionist mechanics from what i can tell thru his builds on camaro5...i would def search out some of his camro builds that he has documented and video thru camro5 website...i,m sure someone here will post from adm...i will look for a link to his build..he also is in texas...
I hope that didn't come out wrong. I am not saying my work is better than Andy's at ADM or any other way that could have been read. That would be kind of a silly presumption. Yes, I've done all of my own stuff, but the quantity of times he has done that same job would have to be hundreds of times what I've done. I was just saying given a random group of performance shops I feel my desire for perfection would be greater than most. Now their X number of years of service may put their quality of work well above mine. Hope that makes sense. Regardless, I understand where you are going and agree. I will still do the install myself, but if I get in over my head it's nice knowing a reputable shop is nearby.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #35
mikepage0007

ok, it did not come out wrong, just wanted to point out adm-andy has done some extremely good work and wanted to let you know he was a trusted sponsor and excellent shop...so you knew you had one if needed..not every member here has shops like andy and ted and my own shop i use readily available...good ,clean,anal, shops are not a dime a dozen , so just wanted you to know you do have a excellent shop in your state
Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #36
UBERJIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaluja View Post
I would let the tuner experts chime in, but I believe that a maf tune works in variable conditions, sd tunes however do not and may be more problematic, contact Ted Jeannetty, he can tune the car via email, probably more economical, he has done lots of whipped cars and others for that matter
Just so I understand, is a dyno tune considered a MAF tune and a canned tune an SD tune?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #37
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
Dyno is used for both Speed Density tune and MAF tune, you can get a 3 bar Map sensor for like $40 and do a MAF tune via email and get a pretty good tune....that would work in any weather...Speed Density tune is sensitive to altitute and other conditions (not an expert) but you can get more hp out of it....anyways, I hear only big builds use SD tunes....ideally would be to dyno tune the car and street tune it or use a mustang dyno to simulate road conditions....but for economical reasons, an email tune from Ted would probably be the best option....much better than a canned tune IMO....there are experts in this forum that can be more precise with regards to tune....I myself have a maf tune and push 630-760 whp done on a dyno by Mike Norris....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #38
mikepage0007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaluja View Post
Dyno is used for both Speed Density tune and MAF tune, you can get a 3 bar Map sensor for like $40 and do a MAF tune via email and get a pretty good tune....that would work in any weather...Speed Density tune is sensitive to altitute and other conditions (not an expert) but you can get more hp out of it....anyways, I hear only big builds use SD tunes....ideally would be to dyno tune the car and street tune it or use a mustang dyno to simulate road conditions....but for economical reasons, an email tune from Ted would probably be the best option....much better than a canned tune IMO....there are experts in this forum that can be more precise with regards to tune....I myself have a maf tune and push 630-760 whp done on a dyno by Mike Norris....
mike does a nice tune, we have the same tuner,,he will get to try and tune this beast of mine when we get done
Old 07-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #39
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Just so I understand, is a dyno tune considered a MAF tune and a canned tune an SD tune?
No...at your power level you would be MAF tuned and I could definitely see a massive improvement over the whipple tune.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #40
G200 Pilot
G200 Pilot

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS purchased 5/2010
Quote:
I just read a huge thread where Jannety and Jim Bell went back and forth on the IAT issue. That was ugly. Like walking into the middle of a bar fight. Teeth laying on the floor, blood everywhere. I'm still not sure what to believe, but I sure feel dumber now. I'm a mechanical engineer and like to think I'm pretty sharp, but I'm going to quit my job and get my truck drivers license now. I'm an idiot apparently.

I like the completeness of the KB. When I look at the Whipple site, I hear "if you want your setup to be top notch, add this to your order, and don't forget these, and this would be great too". By the time you finish with the Whiiple, it's $8000. I can't believe Whipple expects you to use the stock air box. I'd make an analogy, but I can't think of one as rediculous. I thought I had rulled out the KB midway through the other thread and by the end of it Bell posted enough logical info to reconsider it. I assume I can use my CAI intake with the Whipple? What about my Diablosport? It would just need their tune loaded. I just have a hard time giving a company (Whipple) any real consideration when they offer their kit in a form that isn't 100% complete. It seems half ass to me. KB offers the kit one way. Complete. That says something to me. I'll probably stick with the KB, but I'm not as confident as I was before.
Take it from me... You'll be sorry if you get the KB... I had the 2.9 LC. The IAT's were horrible especially at the track. After much frustration and only lip service from KB I decided to remove it.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #41
MJ

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Love my KB... It did take some work from Jannetty's to get the IATs down. 702 to the wheels on pump gas, no meth. KB heat exchanger too small and not placed in optimal location for air flow. Ted fixed that. Between the oversized HE and the 102 TB, IATs dropped 30+ degrees. Am loving it now (no disrespect G200 Pilot, you know Ted knows his stuff!).
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote