Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #197
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
The 'ring is a big power track and the video is there. Even if the timing is off by a few seconds or more the GT500 is obviously within close range of the ZL1 and that has been shown in pretty much every other track test.
I'll agree with that. It is close. 580hp vs 650hp+ you wouldn't expect it to be close. When the ZL1 is victorious which it has proven to be on numerous tracks it speaks volumes.

GT500 is lacking, sorry. Beautiful machine but no way is it light years ahead. It's behind at the moment.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #198
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
I'll agree with that. It is close. 580hp vs 650hp+ you wouldn't expect it to be close. When the ZL1 is victorious which it has proven to be on numerous tracks it speaks volumes.

GT500 is lacking, sorry. Beautiful machine but no way is it light years ahead. It's behind at the moment.
It just needs bigger tires.
TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #199
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Car - Curb Weight -- HP -- P2W --- 'Ring

ZR1.....3,300............638....5.2.......7:19

GT500..3,850...........662....5.81.....7:39

Z06/7...3,200..........505....6.33.....7:22

Z/28.....3,827..........505....7.58.....7:37

ZL1......4,120..........580....7.10.....7:41

Chassis dynamics, including weight distribution, tire sizes and compounds, all come into play. IRS vs. SRA. Even the Laws of Physics cannot defy such a staggering P2W advantage the GT500 has over ALL except the ZR1.

The fact the 'Ring numbers are in the same neighborhood as the GMs listed is strictly due to one outrageous engine, wrapped in an outdated chassis. By moving to IRS with the next-Gen Mustang is a clear admission of this significant shortcoming by its parents...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #200
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post

Chassis dynamics, including weight distribution, tire sizes and compounds, all come into play. IRS vs. SRA. Even the Laws of Physics cannot defy such a staggering P2W advantage the GT500 has over ALL except the ZR1.

The fact the 'Ring numbers are in the same neighborhood as the GMs listed is strictly due to one outrageous engine, wrapped in an outdated chassis. By moving to IRS with the next-Gen Mustang is a clear admission of this significant shortcoming by its parents...

I don't understand Ford sometimes. I never looked at buying the GT500 because of the live rear axle. They implemented IRS before after several aftermarket companies were making them and installing them in the late 90's? Oh wait a minute the car can't launch as hard with the IRS, let's change it back! There is definitely a drag racer mentality at Ford that has hurt them for years. Low ET low IQ.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #201
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
It's more of a co$t factor, too. The T-Bird - Cougar twins had IRS, but for some reason that bypassed the volume-model Mustangs. Mustang has ALWAYS wanted a price advantage in the marketplace...from Day 1, when they sold for the price of a Chevy II Nova. It'll be interesting to see what base price the next-Gen starts at, with platform development borne by a single model (initially...).
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #202
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
If they had gone IRS with a new chassis they couldn't have wedged a 662hp DOHC v8 under the hood for the price they did. Different strokes. If we had two of the same cars from GM and Ford the this segment would be pretty boring.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #203
ZL1-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
If they had gone IRS with a new chassis they couldn't have wedged a 662hp DOHC v8 under the hood for the price they did. Different strokes. If we had two of the same cars from GM and Ford the this segment would be pretty boring.
True but we would have two bad ass cars. Both great handling. We would have a battle from both for the title of better handling faster car around the Ring. I can dream at least.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #204
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
True but we would have two bad ass cars. Both great handling. We would have a battle from both for the title of better handling faster car around the Ring. I can dream at least.
We have two badass pony cars to choose from already. How often do you drive on the Ring ?
TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #205
ZL1-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
We have two badass pony cars to choose from already. How often do you drive on the Ring ?
That's true but why do I personally have to settle for mediocre "pony cars"? It seems you would be content and happy. I have always modded the suspension on my cars when needed. Tell you what, ask me that question regarding the Nurburgring in about a year! I have friends in Germany that keep saying "come over". I'm retired so it is a bucket list item. In the interim, I have my own little Ring course here in So Cal. The benefits of having the mountains here. I've seen Motor Trend up there doing photo shoots!
Old 11-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #206
sizl1
Account Not Suspеndеd

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post

No, you guys are all wrong. With a Watts link and Torque Arm, racing teams like Griggs Racing have created Mustangs that can outcorner Porsches. The problem with the stock Mustang is NOT the live rear axle. In fact properly set up, a live rear axle will outhandle IRS (as Griggs, for example, has proven) on the track because it mimics F1 "suspension" (which is really no suspension at all) on the track - that is wheels on both sides having the same angles at all times.

The PROBLEM with stock Mustangs is the use of a panhard bar, which means during s-turns, the car feels unsettled because turning left feels different from turning right. Most reviews state exactly this: that the GT500 felt unsettled during s-turns. A Watts link solves this problem.

The benefit of IRS has nothing to do with the track. The benefit of IRS is for regular roads that have potholes and other imperfections where an IRS would benefit - all of which is irrelevant on a track.

Google the reactions of people who have installed suspension like that from Griggs Racing on a Mustang. They are simply astounded about the difference. I repeat: the problem is not the live rear axle - it's the panhard bar.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #207
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Better handling doesn't mean faster. The GT500 has won just as many track battles against the ZL1 as it has lost.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #208
ZL1-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizl1 View Post
No, you guys are all wrong. With a Watts link and Torque Arm, racing teams like Griggs Racing have created Mustangs that can outcorner Porsches. The problem with the stock Mustang is NOT the live rear axle. In fact properly set up, a live rear axle will outhandle IRS (as Griggs, for example, has proven) on the track because it mimics F1 "suspension" (which is really no suspension at all) on the track - that is wheels on both sides having the same angles at all times.

The PROBLEM with stock Mustangs is the use of a panhard bar, which means during s-turns, the car feels unsettled because turning left feels different from turning right. Most reviews state exactly this: that the GT500 felt unsettled during s-turns. A Watts link solves this problem.

The benefit of IRS has nothing to do with the track. The benefit of IRS is for regular roads that have potholes and other imperfections where an IRS would benefit - all of which is irrelevant on a track.

Google the reactions of people who have installed suspension like that from Griggs Racing on a Mustang. They are simply astounded about the difference. I repeat: the problem is not the live rear axle - it's the panhard bar.

I had Griggs on my 1996 Mustang Cobra! Great components. Not cheap, but worth it.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #209
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizl1 View Post

Thank you for stating what many fail to realize. People think solid axle means it can't handle and IRS will instantly make it a handler.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #210
ZL1-V

Who stated in this thread that IRS was a better handling system?