Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Inside Line: Amazing numbers from Smart EV track test

IL Track Tested: 2011 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmunds Insideline
Acceleration
0-30 (sec): 5.6
0-45 (sec): 11.4
0-60 (sec): 22.4
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 22.1
0-75 (sec): N/A
1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 22.0 @ 59.5
I'm amazed that it takes over a 1/4 mile for it to hit 60
Read the full article here
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Can't hit 65? Can't buy?
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #3
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
Did you ever see the Top Gear BBC version where they made a Gee Wiz electric car into a remote control car and added 10 times the batteries? It had about the same times as the EV at first, then it beat a GT500 in the 1/4 mile once the extra juice was added.

They ended up blowing the thing up while the Stig was racing Hammond with another remote control racing car. EVs can be wound to hit 60 pretty darn fast if you know what you are doing. A series wound DC motor has infinite torque at 0 RPM. In other words, it will lite them up!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInMoscow View Post
Did you ever see the Top Gear BBC version where they made a Gee Wiz electric car into a remote control car and added 10 times the batteries? It had about the same times as the EV at first, then it beat a GT500 in the 1/4 mile once the extra juice was added.

They ended up blowing the thing up while the Stig was racing Hammond with another remote control racing car. EVs can be wound to hit 60 pretty darn fast if you know what you are doing. A series wound DC motor has infinite torque at 0 RPM. In other words, it will lite them up!
Sure they can. But this one in particular would have a hard time beating Usain Bolt in a 50 yard dash.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
cause that isnt dangerous this has to be the stupidest idea that anyone has come up

it is written......
anthonyj9h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Name should be SmartForWho?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInMoscow View Post

They're 0-60 stars. So far, there hasn't been one electric vehicle, including the Tesla, that has a respectable top speed.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
They're 0-60 stars. So far, there hasn't been one electric vehicle, including the Tesla, that has a respectable top speed.
One gear can only pull so far.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS1SS View Post
One gear can only pull so far.
They figured a way around that for gasoline engines a century ago. See, back then gasoline engines had the opposite problem that electric and steam cars had. They were great once they were wound up, but terrible at low speeds. The solution was to have multiple gears, allowing the engine to operate within its most effective range at all vehicle speeds. Brilliant! There is no real reason why you couldn't have a 6 speed transmission hooked up to an electric motor.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Smart Fortwo Electric vs Ford F150 Raptor 6.2

Hmm.... you may be surprised . Like stated earlier in this forum, street racing is dangerous, so don't ever do that with the electric Smart.

Would it be considered street racing if you floor it to keep up with traffic and then you would get in trouble here for posting that you did that ?
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
Hmm.... you may be surprised . Like stated earlier in this forum, street racing is dangerous, so don't ever do that with the electric Smart.

Would it be considered street racing if you floor it to keep up with traffic and then you would get in trouble here for posting that you did that ?
Seeing as neither a Smart car nor a Raptor are Chevy Camaros, and there is already a thread in general automotive about the electric Smart car ... moved & merged

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #12
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
What some manufacturers have done to solve the problem with acceleration/speed characteristics is to use AC motors and a DC to AC converter with variable frequency controls. This really gives you a lot of control over the main characteristics of the motor.

I haven't checked into it, but Porsche seems to have solved the problems with their new electric sports car. Doesn't it go 0 - 60 in like 3 seconds with a top speed of almost 200 MPH?

Don't get me wrong, I love the internal combustion engine, but eletric motors are also cool if you can just solve the energy storage / refueling issues. We are a long way from that at this point.