Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Maybe corn isn't good...

As Wesley Snipes said in Blade: "Some m0th3rf*ck3r's always trying to ice skate uphill."

It looks like there is a stufy that corn-based ethanol is not all that friendly:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-stud...html#more-6608

Just when it seemed like we could rely on this "friendly" fuel, some jerks find a way to shoot it down...

JMHO

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
mega_man_01103

Drives: 2011-12 Chevy Camaro
Send a message via AIM to mega_man_01103
well that sucks!

mega_man_01103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
The thread below addresses the benefit of cellulosic vs corn based ethanol

GM teams up with Coskata to produce bio-fuel .

I don't think this is new news. The cellulosic ethanol is thought to be the future of ethanol not corn based.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Corn ethanol bad. Cellulose ethanol good.

any questions?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Corn ethanol bad. Cellulose ethanol good.

any questions?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

I'm behind because I didn't know there were two different kinds of ethanol. Thanks

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'm behind because I didn't know there were two different kinds of ethanol. Thanks
Technically there's not. There are two different ways ethanol can be made. the cellulosic method, as DGthe3 mentioned, is MUCH more efficient that traditional corn-based methods.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

AH HA!!! I'll just run on nitromethane...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
Killer CamAro

Drives: 06 cobalt ss, 1968 camaro ss
So ethanol has a traditional way already, its only so new ha ha ha jk just thought i'd say that
Old 02-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer CamAro View Post
So ethanol has a traditional way already, its only so new ha ha ha jk just thought i'd say that
They've been making ethanol for thousands of years. the ethanol for E85 made the traditional way is, for all intents and purposes, moonshine. its the same as the stuff that gets you drunk in beer, wine, vodka, and all the others. Its just 100% pure as opposed to 40% for most spirits, thats why the need to mix it with gasoline to make it a fuel. otherwise people might drink it at the pumps.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #11
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
They've been making ethanol for thousands of years. the ethanol for E85 made the traditional way is, for all intents and purposes, moonshine. its the same as the stuff that gets you drunk in beer, wine, vodka, and all the others. Its just 100% pure as opposed to 40% for most spirits, thats why the need to mix it with gasoline to make it a fuel. otherwise people might drink it at the pumps.
So what you're saying is that we can expect to see a huge siphoning problem with ethanol powered vehicles, but not for the usual reason...

Anyway, I'm sure with more development they can overcome these hurdles. No new idea is ever born perfect.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
So what you're saying is that we can expect to see a huge siphoning problem with ethanol powered vehicles, but not for the usual reason...
anyone that drinks E85 will help to chlorinate the gene pool. While E85 is 85% alcohol, the other 15% is still gasoline. Last time I checked, there isn't a safe amount of gasoline to drink. So anyone who gets drunk on E85 won't ever try it again.

That being said, a basic summary is that they made E85 toxic to prevent drunk driving.

drinking 85% ethanol + 15% water = a fast way to get really drunk (moonshine)
drinking 85% ethanol + 15% gasoline = darwin award nominee (http://www.darwinawards.com/)

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2001 Chevy Impala
well working in the "food" business i can tell ya if they make fuel from corn sure gass will drop but everything using corn in the food market will get costlier, example i started working in the whole foods store 2 years ago, when i started a 5 gal container (about 35 lbs) was worth under 20 american dollars, today's price is just over 35 us dollars, i'm not against or have nothing much else to say, but the cost of living wont really ever balance if they tap the food supply for fuels. my 2 cents
Navy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Blue View Post
well working in the "food" business i can tell ya if they make fuel from corn sure gass will drop but everything using corn in the food market will get costlier, example i started working in the whole foods store 2 years ago, when i started a 5 gal container (about 35 lbs) was worth under 20 american dollars, today's price is just over 35 us dollars, i'm not against or have nothing much else to say, but the cost of living wont really ever balance if they tap the food supply for fuels. my 2 cents
And you're absolutely right; we can't tap into the food supply just to turn around and effectively...Burn it all up!

So that's why when Ethanol proved to be a BIG potential player in the alternative fuels sector (ease of access, and minimal powertrain modification in cars) - there was an uproar about using Corn solely as the raw source. From there, came the idea of using switchgrass - possibly the laziest plant in the world and it grows friggin' everywhere - to produce cellulosic ethanol. (Ethanol made from the Cellulose in the plant material as opposed to the sugars and starches). From there, that opened up the door for using waste plant material in addition to Switchgrass. (Corn stalks, etc).

And as of right now, the most promising Ethanol production method (as far as I can tell) is the production of Cellulosic ethanol via Coskata. (The company GM bought into and is helping out) They can turn, literally, garbage, into Ethanol. Anything with Carbon in it, they can produce Ethanol. That has shot Ethanol's potential as an alternative fuel through the roof in recent months.

As you can probably tell, I am extremely excited for ethanol. Mainly because it will let us keep our IC engines (V8 FTW!!), and burn them cleanly, too - so nobody can argue with us about what we're doing to the environment.