Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #85
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpade22 View Post
Here is a better question….. How many times have you heard an automatic owner use the excuse “I missed 3rd and that’s why you beat me”? You haven’t, and you won’t.

As for your buddies giving you a hard time…..I know a handful of people that are die hard manual car fans. No matter what car you drive if it is an automatic, they won’t look twice at it. Those people are just rock heads, and not “car enthusiasts”.

Example, I own a Porsche 911 Turbo S. 550hp AWD automatic. I take it to car meets around town and always get a ton of spectators and there are always a hand full of so called “car enthusiasts” that I over hear saying “oh, but it’s an automatic”. I can’t help but laugh at the ignorance. Most of the time its envy and they are just trying to downgrade something awesome because they don’t have it.
I don't think they are trying to downgrade your car, and I don't think they are ignorant either. Feel blessed you can own such a fine car. You are coming off as very arrogant with your comment, and I hope that was not your intent.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #86
SSpade22

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (Twin Turno 418)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I don't think they are trying to downgrade your car, and I don't think they are ignorant either. Feel blessed you can own such a fine car. You are coming off as very arrogant with your comment, and I hope that was not your intent.
If you knew the people I was talking about then you would know that they are absolutely trying to downgrade it. And it's not just my cars they talk about, these people say the same thing about Ferraris and other exotics. Does having a automatic transmission really require a comment such as "yeah it's nice, BUT it's an automatic". With the same tone one would use when saying "yeah she's pretty, BUT she's a slut"....... trying to take away from something nice by adding that little extra.
Power-gilde transmision
LSA WCCH Ported Heads 1400hp Axle Shafts DSS
FORE Dual pump FIC 2000cc Injectors
Twin Garrett 53s
SSpade22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #87
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
If you knew the people I was talking about then you would know that they are absolutely trying to downgrade it. And it's not just my cars they talk about, these people say the same thing about Ferraris and other exotics. Does having a automatic transmission really require a comment such as "yeah it's nice, BUT it's an automatic". With the same tone one would use when saying "yeah she's pretty, BUT she's a slut"....... trying to take away from something nice by adding that little extra.
I get what you are saying, but I am sure they do not understand that the "automatics" in cars like yours or the other exotics you mentioned are not "automatics" as they know them. I guess it is just hard for me to imagine taking the time and spending the money to go to a car show just to put someone elses car down, but maybe that is their intent. I can remember the first time I saw a 5th Gen black SS Camaro in person. I was drawn to it, and when I got there (tailgating for a football game) I told the guy his car was beautiful, but I asked him why he got the automatic. His comment was it was all they had. He was nice, but I have regretted that questions since it left my mouth. What a tool I must have sounded like! In any event, maybe they are just making the same mistake I did, we can only hope!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #88
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
The LS3 cars have a secret feature that the L99s don't have. When you sign for the car the dealer shows you how to use it. I can't tell you what it is. It's a secret.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #89
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
I personally think this is a case of history being contorted yet again.

fun fact that the handshake was used to check for concealed weapons at the time it was conceived. Nowadays you shake hands with people as a gesture of good will. Such meanings are lost over time and new meanings take hold.

Back in the day the manual actually had a viable reason for being preferred, it was superior to the automatic in pretty much every way. Fast forward to today and sports/GT cars are so modern now it really comes down to preference. Yes, there's a slight performance advantage Stock with the manual over the auto, no, it's not going to matter if the car is your DD. People prefer autos or manuals for their own reasons, there is no clear cut winner. For me, I live and learn in heavily populated urban areas. I can drive a manual but for a DD and traffic I'd rather let the car shift for me. Has nothing to do with me hating manuals or loving autos, it's just nice to have, and yes it does help when the girlfriend decides to get feisty.

As for the manly argument, I had someone ask me why I got an auto, I told him I liked it for my situation. He told me that manual is more manly and that I'd look like a girl driving an auto. I asked him to explain to me what was more manly about stroking a stick my entire drive. He didn't care for that one too much.

If you need to base your masculinity on the gearing of your car, there are far bigger issues you need to check on first.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #90
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
i have an auto and i can still stroke it my entire drive
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #91
1chasingspeed

Drives: a6 yellow 2ss/rs
Didn't read a lot of the posts on here because some of the people are just bias to what they drive. I bought an automatic and ofter wonder about trading. I don't worry about the performance though, because you can look up performance times. The A6 is a little faster to 60, but is a little slower in the 1/4 mile. I ran at the dragstrip, but didn't heat my tires on an extremely hot and humid day, and me and a silver manual ran the same exact time. 8.92. Not the best, but I have next to nothing done to performance done. As far as the LS3 being WAY more powerful, uhhh, No. It's just 26 horses and only 10 torque. Not detuned that much. Smaller cam, different heads. Not to much different
1chasingspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #92
1chasingspeed

Drives: a6 yellow 2ss/rs
Oh, by the way, the rear end gear ratios don't matter quite as much in the autos due to the gearing in the transmission. It kinda makes up for that whole high rear end gear ratio thing. I'm happy with mine, and never get too tired in a traffic jam. LOL
1chasingspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #93
Muddflap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I got the M6 because I like driving a standard. The majority of my cars and trucks have been standard. My reason for that is in normal driving as far as a daily driver goes a standard transmission will last longer than an automatic. U might have to replace the clutch after 100,000 miles or so but a clutch is alot cheaper than a new trans, a used trans, or a rebuilt trans. And it sounds better when you let out of the throttle......
Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #94
Frostman13

Drives: 2013 SIM Camaro 1LS
Name:  1+Anti-Theft+System+in+the+US_4668df_3344253.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  39.5 KB
Frostman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #95
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
I usually go with automatics because I shift a 10 speed all week long. But, I got a manual for my Camaro because its only a weekend runner and a little more fun to drive that way.

Sent from the road.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #96
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Don't worry about it. Most guys would love to have a pretty slut to take for a ride whenever the urge strikes.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #97
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Had I ordered my SS it would have been with a M6, but the A6 was not a deal breaker for me. I have a HO Cummins 4x4 with a M6 and a two speed stick transfer case, 12 speeds forward and two reverse. Decades ago I bought a 69 Hemi roadrunner M4 for my 21st birthday, I have nothing to prove when it comes to transmission choices.

Performance wise, the A6 has a lot going for it, to me, performance = mods and I've done some basic mods that puts my L99 at more HP/torque (crank) than a stock LS3. Now it's time for me to do a cam change and this where the A6 begins to show it's superiority with VVT grind cams vs LS3 conversion cams.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257819

It's ironic that many of the MoPar guys enjoy the strip performance of their auto 392 Hemi Challengers compared to their M6s and what gets posted here by some of the M6 drivers.

My goal is to dip into the 11s at the strip with the L99 and take on those 392 Hemis and Boss 302s....... with their sticks or autos.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:38 AM   #98
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
LS3, so i got it didnt even drive a L99 at all.

I see it as a preference only, Your not going to see any major performance gains between the two.
revived is offline   Reply With Quote