Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #43
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Z28 had the LS7 and beat up on the shelby gt500!!! No need to hire the SS assassin!
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:33 AM   #44
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Oh, but they say there will be a "few V8 engines." And IMO, that means a base V8 at a beginning 350hp. Then, it'll get bumped up to the LS3 w/ 430, and then the big daddy w/ a S/C on it pushing 550. MMMmmmmm.....yeah...it'll happen.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #45
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Z28 had the LS7 and beat up on the shelby gt500!!! No need to hire the SS assassin!
I am looking forward to finding a GT500 in my supercharged 6.2L 650hp Z28 Camaro and showing him how good my car looks from behind!

There happens to be a older gent down the street from me who rolls around town in his GT500 like he is hot sh!t, and I would LOVE to just roll up next to him and illustrate what 650hp looks like...

Oh, and there are WAY to many people with Porsches, Ferrari's, Lamborgini's around here that need to educated...

<edit: On the drag strip of course! No street racing kids!>

~LSx

Last edited by LSxcellent; 06-08-2007 at 09:48 AM. Reason: forgot the disclaimer
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #46
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
you all know that I'm not one for mustangs but I've got to share this story with you. There was a 5 road intersection I was in, and A mustang GT pulled up next to a ricer of some sort (doesn't really matter to me, a ricer is a ricer), anyways The light turns green, and I'm watching this from an adjacent street, The Mustang ROARS, I mean, my windows shook! and just destroys this little shitter...Funniest thing in my life! Earned a little more respect for the pony, too.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #47
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
Personally I think that 650 may be a bit too optimistic, unless you are talking about being modded. in that case 650HP should be reasonably easy to get given the advancements in engine technology. I'll be happy with a 430HP LS3 stock. That's more power than any factory Camaro ever had. The sky's the limit from there. Now if I can pick up a Roush, Saleen, or GMMG tuner Camaro...
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #48
LSxcellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSNightrod View Post
Personally I think that 650 may be a bit too optimistic, unless you are talking about being modded. in that case 650HP should be reasonably easy to get given the advancements in engine technology. I'll be happy with a 430HP LS3 stock. That's more power than any factory Camaro ever had. The sky's the limit from there. Now if I can pick up a Roush, Saleen, or GMMG tuner Camaro...
Well, if the Cadillac CTS-V has 600hp, and the new Corvette is going to have 700hp, then I'd certainly wager that the Camaro Z28 will have 600+hp! Yeah its going to be expensive, but for THAT amount of power, its a bargain!

~LSx
Old 06-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #49
LSxcellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
you all know that I'm not one for mustangs but I've got to share this story with you. There was a 5 road intersection I was in, and A mustang GT pulled up next to a ricer of some sort (doesn't really matter to me, a ricer is a ricer), anyways The light turns green, and I'm watching this from an adjacent street, The Mustang ROARS, I mean, my windows shook! and just destroys this little shitter...Funniest thing in my life! Earned a little more respect for the pony, too.
NICE! I saw a similar scene between an Infinite G35 Coupe and a 06 GTO... the GTO definitely had a serious cam in it, and some exhaust work by the sounds of it. The GTO just rocketed away, and the G35 lifted after about 200yds cause he knew he had no chance.

~LSx
Old 06-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #50
stolen.thunder

Drives: 1983 Delta 88
Talking

Excuse the newb. questions. I've been offered a rebuilt 383cu/500hp chevy engine ($4,000)- how much would it cost to have this sucka installed on my future 09 Camaro? *Could* I have it installed on an 09 Camaro? What other upgrades would I need, and roughly how much do you think they would cost?

Thanks
stolen.thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #51
kuehjo

Drives: 88 IROC, 68 Firebird, 04 Escal
Wow. You talk about a loaded question...

Is this newly built? Already built? Do they have dyno numbers to PROVE the output? What does it come equipped with? What is the base block?

Most importantly, WHY do you want to do this??

Gut response - RUN AWAY!!!! Don't do it. WAIT AND SEE. Let's see what the new Camaro actually comes with before you drop 4K on a motor (of unknown vintage, I might add...) that you MIGHT be able to swap in. I would not be in ANY rush to drop a motor in a brand new car, in any case. That money (the engine plus the work to do it) might just be better spent on a better equipped model than the one you're planning on.

Besides, (and I'm not saying it CAN'T be done) but what a freaking headache!! With everything computer controlled, you're gonna drop WAY more bucks on getting that sucker to work, and probably NOT going to be happy with the end result.

kuehjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #52
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Yeah I have to agree. I don't see why there shouldn't be a 500+ hp SS in '09. Look at it like this, less time time wrenchin' more time drivin'!
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #53
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Exactly my response, too. Run Away. Given Modern advancements in car ECU's, you would need to be absolutely positive that this Engine could work in a Camaro, without a complete overhaul...Since nobody even knows which engines are supposed to come in the camaro I wouldn't bet on a swap with this one. 500 hp for 4000? sounds either broken or really old.
Sorry to be so negative...but 4k is a lot to drop on an engine you may not be able to use.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:51 AM   #54
LSxcellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolen.thunder View Post
Excuse the newb. questions. I've been offered a rebuilt 383cu/500hp chevy engine ($4,000)- how much would it cost to have this sucka installed on my future 09 Camaro? *Could* I have it installed on an 09 Camaro? What other upgrades would I need, and roughly how much do you think they would cost?

Thanks
Why would you WANT to do this??? What POSSIBLE reason could you have for doing this?

Let's say you wanted to... you'd buy a V6 Camaro? Then pull that motor and swap in the V8 your talking about? I'd bet dollars to donuts that the cost difference between the V6 and the BIG V8 would be less than the cost of putting this motor into the Camaro (once you factor in all the changes to electronics, drivetrain, transmissions, etc).

Save your $$$ and just buy as much motor as you can afford from GM.

~LSx
Old 06-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #55
LSxcellent

As I had guessed... Motortrend.com is now correcting itself and posting what we have talked about at length:

"UPDATE: Our sources have just confirmed that the supercharged V-8 that will power the 2009 Corvette SS/Z07/Blue Devil and the supercharged V-8 that will power the '09 Cadillac CTS-v will be 6.2 liters, not the 7.0-liter as we reported in our July issue. It makes sense in that General Motors was getting the horsepower, but not the torque it wanted from the 427.6 cubic-inch engine. Despite the engine difference, we continue to expect the CTS-v to come with some 600-horsepower when it arrives.
"

NOW everything is coming together... it makes waaay more sense. They will def. stick this engine in the new Camaro Z28 (IMHO), so we can hope for BIG things!

~LSx
Old 06-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #56
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
anyone else think that its no coincidence that we've got the camaro coming out in 09, corvette goes to the C7. the introduction of this new LS3, and LS9 both the 6.2L engine, one's blown with the capibility of pushing 700hp due to thicker cylinder walls. not to mention that 6.2L is just a more aggressive version of the LS2, but it has higher flowing cylinder heads derived from the LS7, a more aggressive camshaft, a revised valve train with offset intake rocker arms, a high-flow intake manifold, and high-flow fuel injectors from the LS7 engine. think about it we've all heard the rumors of the vette pushing 650-700hp in 09, and we know that shelby gt 500 kr is gonna have 540 hp and viper's got 600 hp. they're not blowing a LS7 that already has a compression ratio of 11:1. so heres my prediction (an optimistic one) for the Vette Base model C7 505 hp LS7, ZO6 700 hp LS9. For the camaro, V6 who cares I wont be getting one. Z28 LS3 430hp, SS LS7 505 hp. For those saying why do that when you can get the LS3 and make a LS9, the difference between them are the thick cylinder walls which makes it capable of handeling forced induction. they said that displacement is actually lower in the LS9 due to the reinforced cylinder walls, which is why I think GM wont put them in any car without a blower on it. but thats just my 2 cents

I called it didnt I...Ive always wanted to quote myself
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote