Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #43
ScottR

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Metallic 2LT RS
2013 Blue Ray Metallic, we bought it in mid December, already has 6,200 miles on it. Paint it perfect, not a bad spot anywhere, period!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #44
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I mean there are many threads about this which is fine but all they do for me is remind me of my Camaro's paint...

Attachment 482076

These rock chips appeared after I waxed my Camaro for the first time. This paint blows!
Was being sarcastic lol. But yah the paint sucks. My Black 2000 ford focus ZX3 has better quality paint. And Im absolutely not joking.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #45
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER20X View Post
Was being sarcastic lol. But yah the paint sucks. My Black 2000 ford focus ZX3 has better quality paint. And Im absolutely not joking.
My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 has excellent paint. 63,456 miles
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #46
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Too bad because if the paint was fine I wouldnt really have a complaint about the car. I really really love it. But its a big deal. I didnt wash it at all last year because it actually looked better dirty. When it was clean you could see everything. Its was actually embarrassing. I just replied, "Dont buy a GM:" If they wont repaint it Ill just tell the truth and they have for sure lost at least one sale because of me. Maybe more, and Ill keep that up. They had their chance to fix it so tough shit.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #47
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Eh. I have a couple small chips in the gills from getting caught in road construction before I had my splash guards. The front end has several small chips here and there, and one or two on top of the hood from following trucks to closely or (again) road construction). After a good detail it's not all that noticeable. I'll live. This is with 11,450 miles (daily driving) since it left the lot April 21st, 2012.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #48
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSe4 View Post

So sick of hearing about how fragile GM paint is. All cars built over here are like that. Go onto another forum, I guarantee there will be bitching about paint also! My wife's 2009 Camry looks like it was sand blasted on the front. I don't blame Toyota. When the solvent based paints went away, so did durability!
So, what actions have YOU personally taken to help bring back real durable solvent based paints?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #49
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
So, since they can't get around the water-based thing
What actions have they tried to correct this water based situation? I'd like to know what steps have been taken so far and what is planned moving forward.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #50
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Imma eventually get mine repainted with the nastiest most durable paint I can find. I know a Guyanese body guy that has some of the "Good" old stuff. Like R12 refrigerant.....OOOOOO YAHHHH
Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #51
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Im at 12,000 miles, 90% highway, with ZERO rock chips. Not one. And I detail my car, so I know intimately every little scratch or bug or bird crap stain, etc.
You just jinxed yourself
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #52
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Hmm, sounds like my car might get a new paint job whenever I decide to get a new bumper...

...or when I sell it for an SRT8 Yellow Jacket :ducks:
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #53
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER20X View Post
Imma eventually get mine repainted with the nastiest most durable paint I can find. I know a Guyanese body guy that has some of the "Good" old stuff. Like R12 refrigerant.....OOOOOO YAHHHH
I think the EPA has him on the "Drone Strike" list.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #54
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I blame the design of the car more than the chemistry of the paint. Its a pretty simple thing to test really. If other cars painted at the same plant, by the same people, with the same paint (such as the Impala), and doesn't chip as often ... the problem isn't the paint. Like the car itself, such as the coke bottle design -that everybody loves. Take a good look at the path debris would take from the front wheel to the back fender & honestly tell me that the sheet metal is not going to get sand blasted when driving.

Should GM have perhaps offered a fender guard to protect against this? Sure, which is probably why they sell quarter flares as a dealer installed option for $330. Should it have been standard equipment? Maybe, but then people would have been complaining about how the car comes with stupid looking quarter flares. Can't win em all.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #55
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro/ss/rs View Post
How about this for an idea and help from GM.....every monday morning Camaro owners post pics of their cars and how the paint looks like crap, and the 3 worst get a re-paint by GM?

Sounds like a great idea to me......
How about this for an idea? Go be a lobbyist or quit bitching!

It is what it is and unless you have lot's of $$$, LOTS OF $$$, it will stay the same. Government makes mandates and we all end up accepting that in the long run.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #56
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
What actions have they tried to correct this water based situation? I'd like to know what steps have been taken so far and what is planned moving forward.
No doubt all proprietary information...

If you look at the very noticeable difference between the early years of the water-based paint and the final years of the other stuff...we've come a LONG way...