Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #57
fbodyauto

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb1223 View Post
I read somewhere that we have one coat of paint and one coat of clear . . If the paint is weak from being water based then they need to do more coats!
I hear this a lot on here, but when I bought the car the sales guy said something about 8 coats of paint or something? I'm guessing he probably was lying pretty hard to me...
Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #58
fbodyauto

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I mean there are many threads about this which is fine but all they do for me is remind me of my Camaro's paint...

Attachment 482076

These rock chips appeared after I waxed my Camaro for the first time. This paint blows!
OMG looks like you drove it through a sand blaster. I am sorry but that is complete BS! I have a couple on my front end but what happened to yours, I don't know, they should repair under warranty, uncalled for!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #59
SKERIS

Drives: Jewel Red 2SS RS A6
Hey guys...blame the currant top gun in office!
SKERIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #60
DefianceDan
VroomVroom

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKERIS View Post
Hey guys...blame the currant top gun in office!
I didn't know that berries could be in charge.

And please don't tell me you mean the POTUS....
Old 03-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #61
ajax.

Drives: 12SS,12SRT8,14COPO,77Vette
This is one topic that truly makes me sick. I have every intention of keeping my car for a very long time, and after 1 year/3000 miles I've had multiple chips/paint literally fall off my trunk after waxing it. Every time I clean it I find a new scratch. Can't wait to see what the future holds. Sorry GM but in this area you
Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #62
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
The only place I have chips are on the gills. That began after I put my wider aftermarket wheels on. I suppose I need some sort of splash guards.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #63
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I'd love to hear some repaint people chime in on their sucesses or failures. As a 25+ year body man, my learning has been that any paint job is only as good as the weakest link, which means stripping off to the ELPO and working up from there with good stuff.

Anyone do it? Anyone repaint over the chip-prone H2O paint?

Results? Better? No?
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #64
Chevyman11

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS M6 LS3
I havent noticed any problems with my paint. I run it through the auto wash at my work at least once a week and hand dry it after and it looks great every time. Aside from a few small chips in the front bumper that are gonna happen from daily driving, the gills are fine and the rest of the car is great
Old 03-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #65
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman11 View Post
I havent noticed any problems with my paint. I run it through the auto wash at my work at least once a week and hand dry it after and it looks great every time. Aside from a few small chips in the front bumper that are gonna happen from daily driving, the gills are fine and the rest of the car is great
This is my personal experience, too. With the exception of some abrasions in the gills area due to the wide, sticky front tires.

A lot of this, beyond the design of the car, also has to do with the area one drives in.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #66
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel insane View Post
Had 2011 Synergy Green 2LT replaced with a 2012 Black 2LT under PA lemon law over paint issues.

GM will stand behind the car; sometimes they need a little push...
be more specific here...

what exactly were your 'issues'?

in my eyes just about anything can be pawned off on 'acts of god', 'acts of nature', 'driving the car', 'rocks hitting it', etc.

the only thing i could see the lemon law covering would be paint prematurely chipping, rust, etc. what happened with yours?
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #67
Micawber

Drives: '92 Chev K1500 + 2011 VR 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
I'd love to hear some repaint people chime in on their sucesses or failures. As a 25+ year body man, my learning has been that any paint job is only as good as the weakest link, which means stripping off to the ELPO and working up from there with good stuff.

Anyone do it? Anyone repaint over the chip-prone H2O paint?

Results? Better? No?
I've sort of resigned myself to doing this eventually, so I'd really like to hear how it turns out too.

In the mean time, I've picked up some of the GM touch up paint and I use it to seal the open chips. I've also been learning to fine sand, buff, and polish the repair. I'm trying not to mess it up too much but I figured that if I do, I'm repainting eventually anyway. For now I just want to protect the body underneath. So far it's not turning out too badly.
Micawber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #68
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
bought my car brand new in October 2012, it literally just rolled off of the truck. it seems like i find new chips everytime i wash it or quick detail it. i understand that if you drive your car quite a bit,that it will get a few chips here and there,but a damn knat can hit the car and chip the paint, the paint isnt resilient AT ALL. GM needs to do something about it, their one coat wonder paint jobs arent cutting it. you shouldnt spend good money on a new car and have to repaint it within the first year of owning it.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #69
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Man everyone bitching about paint quality.. I must of hit the jackpot on getting ashen grey, paint is flawless... over 5 k miles... with no harsh whether though...
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #70
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
My front fascia was repainted completely by a collision center owned by a Nissan and toyota dealership. It still chips. It's not GM guys. Car shape + water based paint + road debri = rock chips. If you drive it, it is gonna get chipped fact of life.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote